Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Experience > People begging for money
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

People begging for money

Nearly everytime i head downtown in this city, i - more often than not - get stopped by someone asking for money.

I do not like how there are so many people out there begging for money so they can buy crack, or marijuana or whatever drug it is they want. So much so that i never believe anyone on the street anymore. I used to be nice and maybe give them a dollar or something, or at least some cents, but it just annoys me how it is always a different sob story, using hte same tactics to get the magic number of 6 dollars. Whether the story be about some lady telling me she needs 6 dollars so she can get a bus ticket (yeah, 6 dollars for that?...hmmm), or that these people ended up in the cold state of michigan after driving here from texas and have no money and only want enough money to get a bagel and coffee from a coffee shop i was entering. I just do not believe them, and i probably should not...but it sucks because for those people who really are in need of help that i would like to give money to in aid of their troubles...i will never believe them because so many people have cried wolf so many times.

The other day i was at this place called Alibaba's in downtown, and this lady was patrolling from table to table asking for money, and the owners of alibaba's do not allow begging to go on inside the store because it takes away business, etc. And, she came to our table, and was like "excuse me, i am trying to collect enough money to buy baby formula for my child, if you all could spare a few for me that would be much appreciated." If she really did need money for her baby i would have given it to her, but i did not believe her. I was in a saucy mood that night so i was being rather asinine to her. Everyone else at my table was being all nice and were like "i'm sorry i do not have any money" and stuff, lying and saying they did not have any money just so they did not have to give it to her. I was annoyed she was there so i was like "no, not any for you even though i have this huge wallet that probably has money in it somewhere" (i do have an incredibly thick wallet, ask anyone) "you probably do not even need money for your child anyway, i do not believe you, if you were actually being honest then i would probably give you money" and she was like "if i could please get some money, my baby is very hungry." She was holding a burger king cup and drinkign from it, and i waw slike "you can give your baby that" and she is like "this is just water" and i am like "your baby needs water as well, you do not want it to be dehydrated, you are not even supposed to ask for money in here, if you are going ot ask for money you can leave" and i pointed to the exits. I started asking her questions one after another to try and see if she was lying or not, "where is your baby now?" "what is your baby's name?" "when was your baby born?" "where was it born?" "how much does baby formula cost?" "are you married?" "where is your husband?" "where are you going to buy baby formula from?" "are you just going to buy crack or something?"

She just started walking away and towards another table and i was really annoyed she did not answer any of my questions, not even one, she was probably lying and as she was walking away i spoke louder and say "that is not the way out" and point towards both exits. She stops and is like "are you the manager?" and i say "yes" and she just continues walking knowing that i was lying hehe, and then she goes to the front desk and i see her talkign to the actual manager (as he came up to her) and she left.

Anyway, i was not that polite to her, but i do not like it when people beg for money from students, who do not have a lot of moneyt hemselves to begin with, and put on a mask and say teh money is for something good (like for feeding a baby) and it turns out it is just for some drugs. Oh yeah, her eyes were glazed over it looked like too, like she was high or something, maybe that is why she did not even try to answer many of my questions either.

Anyone have any experiences with beggars? how do you deal with them?

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Last edited by PsychoSnowman on 12-25-2003 at 08:33 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-25-2003 08:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joobaboya

when I was younger, I'd feel so bad and would give the beggars some money but this one time, I was walking with my cousin [he was 23 at the time], some guy stopped us and asked for money. I wanted to give him something but my cousin kept on walking. he explained to me that people usually buy drugs and alcohol with the money people give them. he also pointed out the fact that the guy had a gap inbetween his teeth, probably from doing drugs...had to do with a straw or something [I don't remember this part too well]. ever since then, I, too, have a hard time believing what they tell me so I just say I don't have money or just don't say anything. I hate how people ask for money in the streets, where cars are. they'll come up to the cars one by one on a red light and ask for money. I try to avoid eye contact and just mind my business.

Old Post 12-25-2003 09:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for joobaboya Click here to Send joobaboya a Private Message Find more posts by joobaboya Add joobaboya to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
niggoreanboi
WHAT THE FUZZZ?!?!?!

bums should be using them money to buy food and what not but instead they buy beer

me and coupel of friends were at frisko i told my friends not to look at a bum what did they do? they looked at one and that bum came to them and said you got change and he started digging in my friends pocket and got change for me i wasn't looking so he didn't bother to touch me LOL

i was walking down ashby near university ave in berkeely bums always ask for money i just walk pass them and ignore them or say don't even ask me

i rem i saw this bum ask this white guy for 75 cent and he gave him a dollar and the bum gave him 25 cents then i heard the bum said common lemme get that 25 cents so the white guy gave it to him then some old lady ask him and he gave her a dollar -_-;

Old Post 12-25-2003 10:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for niggoreanboi Click here to Send niggoreanboi a Private Message Find more posts by niggoreanboi Add niggoreanboi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joobaboya

quote:
Originally posted by niggoreanboi

i rem i saw this bum ask this white guy for 75 cent and he gave him a dollar and the bum gave him 25 cents then i heard the bum said common lemme get that 25 cents so the white guy gave it to him then some old lady ask him and he gave her a dollar -_-;

hahaha...what the hell? o.O
that's soo funnny.

Old Post 12-25-2003 10:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for joobaboya Click here to Send joobaboya a Private Message Find more posts by joobaboya Add joobaboya to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
twinkie
twinkie

i used to buy bagels and orange juice cartons for them.

Old Post 12-25-2003 10:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for twinkie Click here to Send twinkie a Private Message Find more posts by twinkie Add twinkie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kryogenix
Ghost

quote:
Originally posted by twinkie

that's so kind of you.

but i never gave them anything because my mom told me, they'd get dependant on you.

"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he eats for a lifetime"

Old Post 12-26-2003 12:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kryogenix Click here to Send kryogenix a Private Message Find more posts by kryogenix Add kryogenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
Originally posted by kryogenix
"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he eats for a lifetime"

well he needs a fishing rod first

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 12-26-2003 04:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
niggoreanboi
WHAT THE FUZZZ?!?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by twinkie

that's nice i'd just say fuck off

Old Post 12-26-2003 08:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for niggoreanboi Click here to Send niggoreanboi a Private Message Find more posts by niggoreanboi Add niggoreanboi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kryogenix
Ghost

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter
well he needs a fishing rod first

or he can make a net

Old Post 12-26-2003 09:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kryogenix Click here to Send kryogenix a Private Message Find more posts by kryogenix Add kryogenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
or he can make a net

not if he's homeless

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 12-26-2003 10:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

i have noticed strategies that people have come up with and many people use as well.

They will work in pairs, and have one person come up to you and another one far off who is somehow connected to the person asking you for money (husband, brother, friend, etc.) and the person will ask you for money and explain their sob story and if you do not give them money they will be very disappointed and then holler all the way to the guy across the street something like "hey man, they are not going to help us" and try and put the prospective giver on guilt trip, by screaming it loudly so everyone can hear including the person far away that is in need as well while they are just pacing about doing nothing instead of asking others for money.

Anyone ever see that?

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 12-26-2003 10:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
merdawg
: My Avatar is So CUTE :

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman
i have noticed strategies that people have come up with and many people use as well.

They will work in pairs, and have one person come up to you and another one far off who is somehow connected to the person asking you for money (husband, brother, friend, etc.) and the person will ask you for money and explain their sob story and if you do not give them money they will be very disappointed and then holler all the way to the guy across the street something like "hey man, they are not going to help us" and try and put the prospective giver on guilt trip, by screaming it loudly so everyone can hear including the person far away that is in need as well while they are just pacing about doing nothing instead of asking others for money.

Anyone ever see that?

i've never seen that before, but i think that is so messed up. if they genuinely needed the money for food or clothing rather than alcohol or drugs, then they wouldnt do that. but then again, desperate times calls for desperate measures.

my youth leader was talking about this stuff a long time ago. he explained his encounter with a homeless man begging for money. what my youth leader did was go to a nearby chinese restaurant and but some food for him. then wen the homeless man's family came out, he realized that they needed more so he went to buy some more.

i think that that is a better way to help them out rather than giving them money where u are uncertain where or what they are going to spend it on. in this case, u atleast know what ur money is being used for.

"Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable. " - Bruce Lee

Old Post 12-27-2003 05:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for merdawg Click here to Send merdawg a Private Message Find more posts by merdawg Add merdawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kryogenix
Ghost

quote:
not if he's homeless

you can't get a net if you're homeless?

Old Post 12-27-2003 10:54 PM
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
you can't get a net if you're homeless?

bringing the question out of the analogy (net being the means to get food), then no, it is not very likely that they can get a stable job, or source of income. There is a good reason why they're on the street.

King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 12-27-2003 11:03 PM
castle outsider

o man..that was so cool

anways..i used to be nice to them and gave them a dollar or two whenever i bumped into one. now i get really pissed off how people want to get things without working for them and even thoguht thats not the case with a minority of homeless people, it is for the majority so i just stopped caring about them.

Old Post 12-28-2003 03:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for castle outsider Click here to Send castle outsider a Private Message Visit castle outsider's homepage! Find more posts by castle outsider Add castle outsider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kryogenix
Ghost

quote:
bringing the question out of the analogy (net being the means to get food), then no, it is not very likely that they can get a stable job, or source of income. There is a good reason why they're on the street.

didn't know the price of a net was the same as the price of a house

Old Post 12-28-2003 03:46 AM
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
didn't know the price of a net was the same as the price of a house

I never said anything about a house

King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 12-28-2003 04:33 AM
kryogenix
Ghost

quote:
I never said anything about a house

if they had a house, they wouldn't be homeless on the street

Old Post 12-29-2003 03:08 PM
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
if they had a house, they wouldn't be homeless on the street

exactly, that's why i never said anything about a house.

King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 12-29-2003 08:37 PM
niggoreanboi
WHAT THE FUZZZ?!?!?!

? what the fuck

Old Post 12-30-2003 06:15 AM