Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Enlightenment > Christians/Catholics I have a question.
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:
Originally posted by seung ju
i dunno, i thought it was proven that the earth is over a billion years old or somethin through the use of carbon dating and stuff like that. but i agree, no one can say what happened during creation b/c no one was around to watch it. but big bang theory, i dunno, that's kinda stretchin it, b/c i thought in science stuff had to have a beginning and end, so what was around to create that little spec of dust that exploded into billions of galaxies? i dunno, i'm not much of a science buff, so i might be wrong about the whole theory.

Yeah, supposedly it's proved that earth is that old. But carbon dating only goes up to like some thousand amount of years, and scientists used radiological dating to date earth. I've read some articles on it and apparently it's not completely accurate, even though the scientific community accepts it (maybe they know something that i don't?). They did a radiological test on Mt. St. Helens after the eruption of where they knew the date to be some 20 years or something. And each time they got different answers that ranged millions of years apart. In conclusion they never got close to 20 years old, and radiological dating seems to me to be too unstable to use (though if we use that and carbon dating on crime scenes i'm thinking i need to read more about it, but a christian person told me about this and i read a bunch of articles on it afterward and found it intriguing)

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-26-2002 02:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micron
all i need is a miracle

yea. carbon dating and other radiological tests are too unstable to accurately date the age of the earth. but if there is anything that hints to a universe that is millions and billions of years old, its the stars that we see above. the speed of light is constant in vacuum and is hardly affected in different mediums. and some of the stars we see are so far away that it would take millions and billions of years for the light to reach us...

Old Post 05-26-2002 05:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

i don't know the specifics of this, but one time a bishop in England tried to date the earth using references from the bible, and found that by the bible's information, it was several thousand years old, he concluded that these results were not accurate, and said that we should look to science for the answer...
Science and religion should be kept, for the most part, seperate, i guess, heh, is what i've concluded recently..

Old Post 05-26-2002 08:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
seung ju

jusun and psycho, thanks for clearing that up since i wasnt really sure about carbon dating.

Old Post 05-27-2002 06:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for seung ju Click here to Send seung ju a Private Message Find more posts by seung ju Add seung ju to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote