Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Debate > Seperation of sexual preference
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

Seperation of sexual preference

The Harvey Milk High School in New York City has expanded this fall for more than 100 students. In doing so, it has caused a stir among all school districts within the nation. Not only has if affected the school districts, it has affected students as well. Many are for and many are against the opening of a school for gays, bisexuals, and transgender students. I, for one, am against the opening of gay schools.

TOLERANCE AND ACCEPTANCE. Our entire life we have been taught to accept differences---whether it be race, class, or even sexual preference. In order to do so, we, as a whole, need to be educated about differences. Putting gays, bisexuals, and transgender students into their own public school does not help teach the tolerance and acceptance of differences. In fact, it teaches to separate---or in other words, segregate. Perhaps I’m wrong but didn’t gays, bisexuals, and transgender students WANT to be accepted for their sexual preference? So does throwing homosexuals into a gay school give any heterosexual person a chance to learn about them and accept them? I think not. If homosexuals want to be accepted and not treated differently, they must educate. Running away is not educating, therefore, won’t reach the goal of acceptance.

The Real World---yes, you know what I mean. Whether or not a gay, bisexual, or transgender student attends a high school that best fits them, there is no way they will be able to escape the prejudice that occurs in every day life. It isn’t the fact that they won’t be ready, it’s the fact that they WILL have to deal with harassment no matter what. Of course, attending a high school that accepts them will take some weight off, but let’s realize that going through tough times is always a step towards tolerance and acceptance. Everyone deals with harassment every day, no matter his or her sexual preference. Deal with it, don’t run away from it.

My last argument would be the fact of segregation. I’m sure we’ve all heard the line, “History repeats itself”. In the 60’s, the colored people were separated from the white people (which I find ironic because white is a color). First it was separation of race, now it’s separation of sexual preference. Try to convince me that putting heterosexuals into their own school is not segregation. We should not let it happen again. Separating will only cause less and less acceptance of sexual preference. It’s already bad as it is now. This segregation also leaves openings for other segregations. Soon, it’ll be ridiculous things like class, age, school stereotypes, and so on. Please, don’t let segregation get that outrageous.

I speak for many when I say I do not like the idea of dividing homosexuals and heterosexuals. I could argue other reasons but my top three are acceptance and tolerance, facing the real world, and segregation.
------------------------------

what's your stand?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-08-2003 09:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladi Jay Click here to Send Ladi Jay a Private Message Find more posts by Ladi Jay Add Ladi Jay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

hmm question first- are they allowing straight students to enroll in the school?

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 11-03-2003 08:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kiggaplease

sounds similar to the colleges for blacks

Old Post 11-03-2003 09:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kiggaplease Click here to Send kiggaplease a Private Message Find more posts by kiggaplease Add kiggaplease to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:
Originally posted by acidbreeze
sounds similar to the colleges for blacks

they are called traditional colleges now i think, and they allow non blacks in for those who wish to attend.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 11-03-2003 11:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter
hmm question first- are they allowing straight students to enroll in the school?

yup

btw, I did take this from my article I wrote for our school newspaper

Old Post 11-04-2003 02:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladi Jay Click here to Send Ladi Jay a Private Message Find more posts by Ladi Jay Add Ladi Jay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Ladi Jay
yup

well then its not really a seperation is it.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 11-04-2003 11:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TorrentialVVind
Kyuubi!

Segregation.

It's just another form of segregation.

I want to make a Naruto banner. ._.; That's in construction.

Old Post 11-13-2003 02:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TorrentialVVind Click here to Send TorrentialVVind a Private Message Find more posts by TorrentialVVind Add TorrentialVVind to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

Re: Segregation.

quote:
Originally posted by TorrentialVVind
It's just another form of segregation.

maybe a better word is specialization.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 11-13-2003 07:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote