Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Enlightenment > .
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
micron
all i need is a miracle

hmm. we are missing something in these forums. like a puzzle that is unfinished..

wherefore art thou, my intellectuals?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-05-2002 04:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

Normativity is the key to the world's happiness :sleepy:

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 04-05-2002 06:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

normativity? heh, you speaking Foucault here? On a side note, I just did my IB world literature paper contrasting his philosphy in "Madness and Civilization" to "Chronicle of a Death Foretold."

Just trying to spark some conversation here.

Old Post 04-05-2002 08:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mc_jjang

whoa eird u guys speak like a whole another language.. but yeah i take CPS class so maybe thatll help me out if theres anything in politics and the philosophy behind those.. hehe

WOO HOO!!!

CuTE!!!

Old Post 04-06-2002 04:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mc_jjang Click here to Send mc_jjang a Private Message Find more posts by mc_jjang Add mc_jjang to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

haha, this reminds me so much of K debates (which i dislike lol).
hm..i got a question though about foucalt, i haven't read much up on him, but since he is calling for the dismantling of power structures, and power based social sciences; and actually in one of his works he admits that his philosophy could be a power based construct- shouldn't that mean that the judge should reject the Kritik because it has a performative contradiction?

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 04-06-2002 09:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

If Performance is what i think it is, then i believe so. The other team would have to have a card for that of course though.

TM11! Varsity skills response please.

Old Post 04-06-2002 12:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micron
all i need is a miracle

thats good.
thats great.
we have some smart people here.

Old Post 04-07-2002 07:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman
If Performance is what i think it is, then i believe so. The other team would have to have a card for that of course though.

yeah they need a card for the part where Foucalt admits that his philsophies resemble power-structures...but if they do...K goes down the drain

thats a strategy i use though...my partner runs a K in the 1nc, extends it all the way through so then the Aff allots too much time on it (independant voter ya know), but then i drop it in the 2nr and whoop em up on rest of oncase and the other offcase ...well..thats in an ideal situation

King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 04-07-2002 07:26 PM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

haha, nice.

My novice states partner and i used to run a NATO consult CP every single round disposionally. We'd couple it with a Utilitarianism good card and make the AFF debate it and spend so much time on it. He's the 1NC, so then in 2NR i'd drop it (cause in novice rounds they don't ask how you are running a CP for some reason a whole lot), go for T or DA or whatever. And because they spent so much time on the CP, they undercovered a lot else (especially because it's the slowpaced novice rounds) We actually won a lot on an outdated NMD disad for some reason, twas hilarious. Though we overused it and it was counterproductive i think at states.

What i don't get is that in this one round, the other team won on abuse for CP dispositionality. Though they failed to ask in crossx how we were running our Counter plan. So then the guy goes in the 2AR and reads a bunch of NEW cards and new arguments on the issues besides the CP (cause i dropped it in the 2NR), and proceeds to win the round. In the Ballot, the judge wrote "Nice comeback in the 2AR", tss. . We were winning on everything else, seriously. Ok, fine. I'm starting to think i should drop it earlier or something. Cause a lot of judges didn't like us doing that.

Old Post 04-07-2002 10:05 PM
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

what the hell? they won on dispositionality=abuse after you ran it as a dispositional cp? Kinda funky if they didn't ask about before hand. Hehe you could've said that it wasn't being run dispositional and made them look like jackasses. Still thats jacked up....so what if they captured or beat the CP? They're still non-topical and any risk of d/a outweights adv's of case (in this year's topic, i would assume so). hmm...if the judge disclosed, you shoul've argued his/her ass of on that. Sometimes, judges go back on their decision and gives the other side the big w :) Eh, dropping CP may be disliked by them, but its completely legal and if you run it dispositionally, its even more legal.
Hehe, i didn't go to states or districts...actually i signed up for districts but then i was worn out for something so i dropped out lol that pissed him off pretty bad. He's the Stanford Debate coach btw hehe.

hey snoman, where you from btw?

King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Last edited by Crazydeb8ter on 04-08-2002 at 09:21 AM

Old Post 04-08-2002 09:19 AM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

Yeah, it sucked. They also won though on the DA in which they read all their arguments in the 2AR, it was so unfair cause we had them so beat on that (since they didn't say anything on it). We were extending like mad on those and they had nothing on us, it was crazy that the judge let them just get away with new arguments in the 2AR of which we could not say anything against. Hmmm, well the negative didn't say anything in response to the DA arguments left by the Aff in the last speech...AFF wins! haha, that was a dumb judge i swear. hmm, ahh oh well.

Yeah, the judge didn't disclose because it's part of MIFA (Michigan something Forensics Association?) rules. Oh well. Haha, that's funny bout your districts experience .

I'm from Portage, MI and go to Portage Northern High school. I know your in California, which city and school is it?

Old Post 04-08-2002 04:02 PM
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

I go The HEad-Royce SChool in the Bay Area (Oakland, Piedmont, Berkeley area).
Eh i guess diferent states have different rules...personally i think disclosing is really stressful hehe, it takes pressure off the debaters when they find out the results the week after. Hmm..thats a little bit a problem with the bigger tourneys though, if teams break/clear, the top seeds go with lower etc, so then those teams would know...something like that...lol im rambling.
But disclosing=better organisation and also when a judge gives an oral critique, he/she can go all out, instead of having to pick out words carefully so that he/she can still hide the results.

Man, you should've really cussed out that judge dude. Was it a league tourney? Those parent judges i tell yeah, are real shit-heads

King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 04-08-2002 04:09 PM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

yeah, i like it when judges disclose, and oral critiques are nice...then you can actually apply that to the next round and such.

Yeah, i was really mad about that judge, though we didn't know of course until after the tournament which is when we get our ballots. These judges were MIFA qualified (not hard, you take a test..."what is Inherency" type questions probably), though they could have easily passed for stupid parent judges in my book. hah.

Old Post 04-08-2002 04:40 PM
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

the judge didn't even give you a oral critique? If he/she did, couldn't you guys tell that she voted against you by her comments?

King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 04-08-2002 04:45 PM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

she said she was going to, but did not because we were running late to the next round. So she skipped it and we all went to debate again.

Old Post 04-08-2002 09:53 PM
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

awwww sucks man, i give you my condolences :)

Sucky judges are always a pain in the ass...especially those damn inexperienced crapholes they just find off the street to judge for 4 dollars a round. One time (was at an "eh" tourney, with mixed judge pool) we had a judge who was in college who debated for 2 months in HS. So, she asked us to speak slowly. The aff went through pretty quick and got through their whole case without any complaints from the judge. But then, when i started off with the CP, she made me read so slowly that it was almost like, "Nato.......is.........key...........to........world.......security.......and.....stablilty... - Can you read a bit slower please(<--Judge)????"

Needless to say, i was very pissed, because she made me read so slowly that we only got through a couple solvency takeouts and the CP shell. So we didn't have that much to work off of

:sad:

King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 04-09-2002 12:50 PM
tm11
down by law

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman

haha... ok
let's go

I'm really not much of a Foucault Hack... to tell the truth i really don't like Foucault, I really don't understand it at all, but i can share the limited amount of knowledge bout this i do know...I'm not sure i'm correct anyway so any Fuko hacks feel free to enlighten us... this explanation is hecka annotated, and I didn't feel like writing too much, just hit me in a round, and i hope that i don't fail to explain this stuff better... heh.
(anyway i prefer heidegger or camus... but whatever...)

In recognizing the contradiction in Foucault's own work, it doesn't mean all his studies are for naught, however, he is correct in saying this as a forewarning to truly contemplating his works and gaining an understand of the hermaneutics of his works.
Concerning the way that fuko is run in a round, it doesn't make a difference that his philosophy would have to be deconstructed, because not all of his philosophy is used in the round anyway.
Additionally, a common alternative used, or the way to deconstruct the Power structures he discusses is through performance.
I don't know what you know bout performance Psy, but this is my understanding.
Recently, scholars such as Jessica Kulynych and Judity Butler have been going more in-depth into the concept of political performace, and the Winter '97 edition of the journal Polity is where all the good Kulynych performance cards are. Anyway, first to understand this, one must understand the difference between the macro- and micro-political levels of action. It's self-explanatory, but the macro-political level of action could be congressional debate, or lawmaking, and examples of action at the micro-political level are the speech act or demonstrations. It is this action at the micro-political level that is the performance that everyone talks about. Performance is good because it raises awareness and can change mindsets, and in doing so, make the first move to break down power structures. Starting from the bottom and moving your way to the top is the best way to break it on down.

That's it... sorry if it wasn't helpful, heh, it probably wasn't anyway..

Old Post 04-09-2002 03:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lovedontloveme

big words o.0
dam people with extensive vocabs haha

Old Post 04-10-2002 12:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lovedontloveme Click here to Send lovedontloveme a Private Message Visit lovedontloveme's homepage! Find more posts by lovedontloveme Add lovedontloveme to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

hahaha
wow
i'm mod of the most unpopular forum
AHH YEAH!
hey hey hey

ok, i'm done..

Old Post 04-11-2002 04:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

Nah, i think the most unpopular forums are literature and cooking haha. . Congrats Tomas.

Old Post 04-11-2002 12:11 PM