Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Debate > Starbucks Coffee Shop
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
uNiece
GOING DEEPER

Starbucks Coffee Shop

All right...
I have to do a research project for my English class, which includes a research paper on any 2 or more sided issue.
The hand out my teacher passed out listed a couple of sample issues, such as abortion, teen pregnancy, drug use, ... the usual debated topics. I wanted mine to cover some thing unique and different.
So, as I sat at my favorite Starbucks coffee shop yesterday (by myself :sad: ) and was enjoying my tall and then grande Mocha Frap, the sugar got to my brain and I said, "Why not Starbucks!?!"
So here I am, presenting those who are willing to input, the question:
"What's Your View On Starbucks?"

I mean, some people find it very convenient to have one shop on each corner, while anti-Starbucks-ists find it putting the independent cafes and coffee shops in the area out of business. So... what have you to add?
------------
Woo hOo! Thanks everyone who replied so far! ^_^

Do you mind PMing or e-mailing me (uniece@jusunlee.com) your:
1) full name (don't worry, it's only going to be used in my research paper. if you don't want me to use your name in public, like this forums, i promise i won't.)
2) school & grade you're in - if not attending school, age

Thank you! If you'd like, I'd be glad to send my paper to you once I finish it and stuff, just mention it. But I can't gaurantee that your quote will be in there, but if I can, I'm planning on using a bit of everyone's there.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-15-2002 01:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for uNiece Click here to Send uNiece a Private Message Find more posts by uNiece Add uNiece to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
heyitsdean

While i neither like nor dislike coffee, my father does own a small store that attempted to sell brewed coffee instead of just bagged, a starbucks was planted across the street and my father's venture failed. Starbucks is ok in moderation, but they are taking over and will eventually begin to kill themselves

Old Post 04-15-2002 02:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for heyitsdean Click here to Send heyitsdean a Private Message Find more posts by heyitsdean Add heyitsdean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

starbucks is ok... but have you noticed where starbucks tend to be...?

It seems hard to find a starbucks in an "urban" area...
maybe i'm wrong though.

Old Post 04-15-2002 03:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MellowYellow

i love starbucks.... mocha frappucino... and soy milk latte please!

but.. okay so there's this star bucks right across from the park....and a new one opened...a couple of blocks down.... so stupid... they're like a minute drive a way.... less than....

hmmmm.... starbucks... like you can always expect it to taste the same....like a mcdonald's hamburger (crappy....jp )... you can always expect that hamburger to taste the same but like if you go any where else then you don't know if they taste good or not.... yea i always go to starbucks cuz i like how it tastes and it always tastes the same... unless some newbie is working behind the counter....keke

Old Post 04-15-2002 07:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MellowYellow Click here to Send MellowYellow a Private Message Find more posts by MellowYellow Add MellowYellow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lovedontloveme

Well... I do think it doesn't really do good to the independent coffee shops out there, BUT, it's all to do with commerce. If the independent stores really had er.. good tasting coffee and were skilful, they would somehow be able to get more customers and such. Starbucks has done well, they've build a solid reputation and a large customer base.

Anyhow, I love that white chocolate mocha frappucino thingy. Mmm, yummy.

Old Post 04-15-2002 08:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for lovedontloveme Click here to Send lovedontloveme a Private Message Visit lovedontloveme's homepage! Find more posts by lovedontloveme Add lovedontloveme to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SoundCtrl

Wow. Your so smart :rolleyes

Old Post 04-16-2002 01:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SoundCtrl Click here to Send SoundCtrl a Private Message Find more posts by SoundCtrl Add SoundCtrl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
>=D

carmel fraps are great but come on they r over doing it. everywhere i go theirs a starbucks. i dont really mind, i like fraps and hot choc but i think they r over doin it alil.

Old Post 04-19-2002 02:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for >=D Click here to Send >=D a Private Message Find more posts by >=D Add >=D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
annabanana
Food Moderator

too many Starbucks around. Does anybody remember the Simpson episode where Bart Simpson was in the mall, and every freakin' store turned into a Starbucks? well, that's what it's like here. At the mall, there's like FIVE. deng, too much, but that's okay, because i like the name and coffee.
These days, when i order a coffee, like a caramel machiatto, i save the cup, and then i reuse and put some ice coffee in it. i dunno. Starbucks makes me feel rich even though they are making me poor by overcharging their freakin' coffee.

Old Post 04-21-2002 05:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for annabanana Click here to Send annabanana a Private Message Find more posts by annabanana Add annabanana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tenshi

i see starbucks as an evil, big business monster of corporate america, out to crush the defenseless, wee little mom n pop coffee shops (the same goes for target, kmart, other wholesale stores and corner grocery stores, respectively). though i understand such companies are only following the rules of capitalism and supply & demand, if i have a choice between an independent coffee shop and a chain, i will go to the independent coffee shop, even if it is just a lesser known chain.

but i admit, i do still patronize megastores like starbucks and target, ubiquitous (and convenient) as they are. i'm also a fan of the starbucks white mocha...

sorry about your father's failed attempt, heyitsdean. :sad:

This is me down on my knees
These foolish games are tearing me apart
And your thoughtless words are breaking my heart
Excuse me, think I've mistaken you for somebody else
Somebody who gave a damn
Somebody more like myself

Old Post 04-22-2002 12:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tenshi Click here to Send tenshi a Private Message Find more posts by tenshi Add tenshi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
uNiece
GOING DEEPER

It's been awhile, but here's the paper I had to write up (I know, I know, it isn't the greatest.. but it's here), in .pdf format
Right-click, Save File As...
Essay
Bibliography

He remembered us when we were in trouble. His love continues forever. PSALM 136:23

Old Post 06-23-2002 05:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for uNiece Click here to Send uNiece a Private Message Find more posts by uNiece Add uNiece to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
Originally posted by lovedontloveme
Well... I do think it doesn't really do good to the independent coffee shops out there, BUT, it's all to do with commerce. If the independent stores really had er.. good tasting coffee and were skilful, they would somehow be able to get more customers and such. Starbucks has done well, they've build a solid reputation and a large customer base.

Anyhow, I love that white chocolate mocha frappucino thingy. Mmm, yummy.

Makes sense but is flawed. This argument is reminicent to the debate between big business and small businesses in the late 1800's and early 1900's in which the classification as "Captains of Industry" and "Robber Barons" of the Big Businesses were the main quesiton. Most people would think that, yes, they all started from square one. However, this is NEVER the case as the economic model for each household is different. If you're from a rich family, you're sure as hell going to have an easier time setting up a shop and paying off loans than somebody starts off from a poor family. Thus, one could see business, especially business such as this, as a cycle to benefit the rich and (indirectly) keep the poor at bay.
Also, the question of whether Starbucks is "ethically" wrong or right because they're forcing out independant shops is one probably would never be decided as it is an argument over morals and being "fair." Not only does arguing that Starbucks is immoral fall under the fallacy of "appeal to pity" but also, it gives no real reason to reject the coffee made by Starbucks, and why doesn't address why they were successful.
IMO, the main reason why they were successful is because of the "fast-food" outlook of starbucks. YOu go in, you order, you get your coffee, and you're out. And in today's world of rush-hour traffic jams and commuting, that is what most people are looking for. A quick, easy way to get coffee so that they can both have a "refreshing beverage" and get to work on time. What Starbucks does is appeal to the circumstances of the people, which is basiclly what one needs to succeed in a business.

I like fruit drinks better btw, coffee just doesn't taste "refreshing" to me.

oh another note, you have nice transitions Uniece

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Last edited by Crazydeb8ter on 06-23-2002 at 07:05 AM

Old Post 06-23-2002 07:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Azn2296

starbucks is like an american drink and lollicup is like an azn drink. i mean u see lollicup everywhere now like starbucks

Old Post 06-24-2002 05:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Azn2296 Click here to Send Azn2296 a Private Message Visit Azn2296's homepage! Find more posts by Azn2296 Add Azn2296 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EvaX
Gringo Noche

I live in the birthplace of Starbucks where there are literally 2 Starbucks per every 500 feet. (Pike Ave. in Seattle...like 5 starbucks on that street)...Here in the Northwest it seems that most people don't use Starbucks for the immediate coffee use, we're pretty good about goin' to the "Mom n' Pop" coffee shops around here too, plus there are many competeing companies including Tully's and Seattle's Best Coffee around here that take away "some" business from the Starbucks Mega-Corporation...But then again I also live in Olympia, WA which is a small college city where we do have like emm...4 or 5 Starbucks but I know most people rather go to other places for the espresso....

Old Post 07-05-2002 10:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for EvaX Click here to Send EvaX a Private Message Visit EvaX's homepage! Find more posts by EvaX Add EvaX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

Wow you're essay is long. Did you put a lot of work into it or are you just naturally good at writing?

Old Post 07-06-2002 05:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
uNiece
GOING DEEPER

thanks for your comments & compliments.
the reason the essay was long was because the paper had to be 7 pages minimum.
Dang it people! why couldn't you comment sooner on this??!? i could've used your views in my paper! very nice too...

He remembered us when we were in trouble. His love continues forever. PSALM 136:23

Old Post 07-09-2002 10:43 PM