Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Features > E-Zine > Ezine
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
incolor

Ezine

Hey everyone. This is Linae or incolor.

I just have a few questions/suggestions.

I know that everyone is really excited with starting the ezine and everything with all their ideas and stuff but I think we need to have everything organized and have people who are comitted in responding to emails and posts.

I guess if there was a leader who collaborated everything, then organizing all of this will not be as difficult. We can have two people to help the "editor" out just incase they aren't able to meet the deadlines and such. I'm suggesting having co-editors and a real staff. I know that newcomers are welcome, but maybe after the staff and indiv columns are made we can rotate newcommers in a seperate column.

Staff Positions
Editor
Co - Editor
Co - Editor
5-10 columnists
Freelancers
Joint Columns
Newcommers

I also understand that there are people who are unable to meet the demands of writing an article every week and so we can have 2-3 people rotating a column or even a freelance column. I think by the end of this month we should have a newsletter up by then if possible.

If anyone wants to volunteer being an editor, then please do so because that way we are able to send in your column names - and title to one person and then they can report back to the webmaster (jusunlee). I’m suggesting/assuming that seniors of ezines will be volunteering for the position as editor. I’m aware that one of the senior writers is in college right now and so I believe the role as an editor doesn’t mean that they have to do all the work. I think the co-editors should be responsible for most of the work and organizing the information for each of the columnists and new commers.

as soon as a staff is created I think the ezine will be able to progress in a positive direction

Thank you~

Linae

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-13-2002 08:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for incolor Click here to Send incolor a Private Message Visit incolor's homepage! Find more posts by incolor Add incolor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whiterose
kpop freak

incolor~

the call for organization is very warranted.

first question i had after reading your post: i thought the ezine was monthly, not weekly? if it is monthly, the pressures to create and submit an article are really reduced to levels that are managable to most.

second question: can a person hold a "staff position" and still write columns?

my personal situation is that i don't have experience with ezines, but i do with other mediums. i have a degree in writing and kick butt at editing. as i told jusunlee, i'll gladly check people's articles for grammar etc. if they want me to.

i've already volunteered to write one or more columns (depends on how many i'm allowed )... some other people have too.

i think we need 2 major things.

first, we need to know what everyone wants to write. some people are saying "assign it" but if its assigned, what if you don't like it? just volunteer for a theme you think you could write well that you think people would be interested in reading. some potential column ideas were proposed in another posting in this section of the forum. so, volunteer, and do the best you can. (this is not a job or prison, just do the best you can.)

second, we need guidelines for the articles. length, focus, etc. i think it's been mentioned that this site is pg-13, so we should be sure to respect that.

ultimately, (i think), it'll be jusunlee who posts the ezine, so he'll probably have the true final say. but it'd be good if we could all do our part toward it.

as for postions, i dunno if we need as many as you suggested, but maybe. we'll need writers (i don't think there should be a limit, just as many as want to write). we'll need proofreaders/editors, people who check for grammar, spelling and general appropriateness. (i'll volunteer to be one of those people, if you guys approve) they can write or not write, depending... i dunno if we need other positions, though.

as for newbies, well, we can put a sticky in the forum here explaining the guidlelines for articles, where to submit them (to an editor/proofreader), and that to write pretty much whatever they want..... if there's thematic overlap, well, i think we'll read it anyhow.

i think the ezine is supposed to be fun and its all volunteer, so people aren't gonna do it if its not fun. i think anyone who wants to write, go for it.

well, thats just my take. what do you think?

Old Post 11-13-2002 11:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for whiterose Click here to Send whiterose a Private Message Find more posts by whiterose Add whiterose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

i think both of you need to post more

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 12-04-2002 01:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whiterose
kpop freak

yeh, i dunno. i thought it was all go, but then it all died....
when you guys are all ready to do it, let me know, i'll see if i can help.....
until then, study hard, jusunlee~!

Old Post 12-06-2002 02:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for whiterose Click here to Send whiterose a Private Message Find more posts by whiterose Add whiterose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

i meant you all need to post more regularly in all forums, instead of just posting because of the e-zine.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 12-08-2002 09:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whiterose
kpop freak

well..... i do a lot of work for another site, so i don't have a lot of time for posting in forums... sorry.

but, if thats how you and other people here feel, i understand.

so, if being a super-active member of your forum community is requisite for helping with the ezine, i'll have to bow out.

good luck with it though, then. i'm sure i'll be by to read it.

Old Post 12-10-2002 01:29 AM
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

hmm...well, i certainly don't represent the whole community in my beliefs.
"Being a super-active member" is taking it a little too far. It's is my own perception that an e-zine should be a representation of not only the larger community (in this case, asian community) but of the micro-community that it is founded in. I certainly don't try to discourage freelance writers from popping in and out once in a while to contribute something; but to take on the big jobs, imo, the writers need to be a regular component in the "micro-community" or, in this case, the forums.

King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 12-10-2002 01:46 AM
whiterose
kpop freak

sure, i understand.
as i said, good luck with it~!

Old Post 12-11-2002 01:05 AM
TyGer STyLe
no longer a couch jockey

well then... looks like we lost a member?

Old Post 12-11-2002 04:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TyGer STyLe Click here to Send TyGer STyLe a Private Message Find more posts by TyGer STyLe Add TyGer STyLe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ajy

canadian bacon let the messiah go through your soul

Old Post 12-19-2002 01:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ajy Click here to Send ajy a Private Message Find more posts by ajy Add ajy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote