Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Interests > Sports and Fitness > 98.6 F, why uncomfortable in 90 F environment
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
redoubt
grasshopper pie

98.6 F, why uncomfortable in 90 F environment

So the normal internal temperature for humans is 98.6 F.
Why are we uncomfortable when it's 90 F outside?
and give me the technical explanation
this question is bugging me

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-29-2002 05:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for redoubt Click here to Send redoubt a Private Message Visit redoubt's homepage! Find more posts by redoubt Add redoubt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

because it's not 98.6

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 12-29-2002 08:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nickels

This articles seems to indicate likewise
http://website-1.com/ch2-9-a.shtml

The article also talks about people's preferences for a certain climate setting.

Not a significant read, but anyway, I believe that it is a matter of sensory discomfort from the nerve endings on our skin when we cannot ventilate excess heat from our bodies.

It is much easier to lose body heat at, say 50-70ēC than any higher. On the other side, it becomes too cold so that the body cannot generate enough heat to stabilize the homostatic temperature.

I'd say the most important factor is preference... the shower's hot water feels good when I'm cold on winter mornings but it feels horrible on my face, due to nerve endings. Then again, I become habituated to the heat and don't mind after a while.

Old Post 12-29-2002 08:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for nickels Click here to Send nickels a Private Message Find more posts by nickels Add nickels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
redoubt
grasshopper pie

what I meant was...
how come 90F feels very hot and yet our internal temperature is still higher..
kya

Old Post 12-30-2002 09:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for redoubt Click here to Send redoubt a Private Message Visit redoubt's homepage! Find more posts by redoubt Add redoubt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

yeah it's just what nickels said.

90° feels hot because we usually are exposed to air that is much colder than that. Comparatively it would have to feel warm becuase it is such a big difference.

If we were to get technical, if you are in an area with air or water that is any bit less that 98.6° in temperature, if you stayed there long enough your body temperature would slowly go down and you'd run into hypothermia. And, i'm sure the opposite happens when it's higher. There isn't anythign special about 90 degrees, it's all very logical. If it's lower, it feels colder overtime, but your body may perceive it as hot or cold depending on the relative temperature you are used to. Same with higher temperatures.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 12-30-2002 09:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote