Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Debate > nature vs nuture
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

nature vs nuture

nature vs nurture meaning do you think that people are shaped by their genetics(nature) or enviroment(nurture)???

Scientists think that heredity is more important than enviroment in determining personality. There are also two researches that are big in determining this... twins and new discoveries in molecular biology.

In 1979, a pair of twins were seperated within 5 weeks of birth. 39 years later, they appeared on Ripley's Believe It Or Not. Not only were they both 6 feet tall, dark haired, and 180 lbs... they also spoke with the same inflections, moved the same, made the same gestures, hated baseball, loved stock car racing, married women with the same name of Linda, divorced, then again, married the girls with the same name, Betty. Later while they took a personality test, it was as if it was the same person taking the test twice... Is this just coincidence or is it really in the genetics? I mean, they were put in different enviroments and grew up to be so alike.

But this only occurs in that case...

What do you think? Nature determines personality or nurture does??? Support your answer.

Last edited by Ladi Jay on 09-11-2002 at 04:31 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-10-2002 11:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladi Jay Click here to Send Ladi Jay a Private Message Find more posts by Ladi Jay Add Ladi Jay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
huby40
Squeak....

then again there are twins that are nothing like each other except in appearance.

it might be both nature and nurture, but imo, most people's personalities are determined by nurture and their upgringing, not something predetermined before your born (or something that could be grown in a lab)

Old Post 09-12-2002 12:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for huby40 Click here to Send huby40 a Private Message Find more posts by huby40 Add huby40 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aznkid1008
God is my judge

hmmm its both. genetics will design ur initial body and skillz. but how the person grows up and his/her enviroment counts just as much. the soul of the person will also change from time. ur personality, skillz, and attitude will be shaped and formd by ur enviroment.

Remember the heros
Remember the lives
Remember the day
God bless

Old Post 09-12-2002 01:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aznkid1008 Click here to Send aznkid1008 a Private Message Find more posts by aznkid1008 Add aznkid1008 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

You people are wrong. It's nature that affects how a person will turn out. Nurture affects you only to a point, even though it seems contradictory that Nature affects you more than nurture, it's true.

There's more to twins than them just looking the same, they came from the same egg and their genetic compositions are hella similar.

There have been numerous psychological studies that have proven that nature is more important than nurture. Identical twins are often the center of psychological studies because there are 2 people that have such very similar biological make-ups.

The case julie brings up has a lot of coincedences, and while there aren't always that many, the personalities of the two twins who've been seperated (personality is what this is all about) are often really really similar.

It's not just in that one case. Many cases have proven this to be true.

There's nothing to debate here, it's already been proven that nature effects someone more than nurture does.

Old Post 09-12-2002 01:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

quote:
Originally posted by tm11
There's nothing to debate here, it's already been proven that nature effects someone more than nurture does.

that's not true... scientists DO NOT have the evidence to say that nature affects someone more than nurture... if so, where is the evidence? You can't really get evidence from nature or nurture...

genes do play a part in determining a persons personality, but the enviroment does play a part in it also. the genes would cause a persons brain chemistry to be what it is as a base for the personality, but events and experiences in that persons life, such as a loved one dying or suffering a horrible injury during childhood, could cause that person to change their personality. we learn from our experiences so we can adapt and survive longer within our changing enviroment.

the enviroment plays a huge role in shaping someone's personality... I believe that genetics shape people physically... things that people go through make them who they are... no doubt about it... let's take cloning a human being for example... if someone is cloned and their clone is raised differently (not to the mention the time) they're personalities can be extremely different... maybe the clone-e had a hard life and is more polite... and perhaps the clone lived a life where he/she got anything he/she wanted, so he/she is really rude and bossy... get my point? I know it's a really poor example buh it works...

Old Post 09-12-2002 02:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladi Jay Click here to Send Ladi Jay a Private Message Find more posts by Ladi Jay Add Ladi Jay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

I was just discussing this with my psychology teacher the other day, because we're currently studying personality.
Julie, you're wrong about this, and it'd be nice if you actually knew correct information about this.

The statement that you can't get any evidence about this shows how your ignorance. There are a multitude of cases where Identical twins (who have the same genetic composition since they came from the same egg) were split up, and when they were observed later in their lives, they were found to have many same characteristics and personality traits, and I'm sure they had very differing lives. Still, they end up being the same, how do you explain that? This is why psychologists often study Identical twins to study personality, because you have 2 people that have the same "nature," and that's how you measure the effect of "nurture" on them. If they end up being the same, "nurture" obviously doesn't have much effect on them, now does it?

You even provide a perfect example for how Nature affects a person's personality and how they'll turn out than nurture will. Nurture does have an effect, but ONLY TO A POINT.
I'll ask my Psychology teacher for specific examples, you haven't provided any either, and you've provided poor examples at that. It's bootless to debate this.

your example is flawed, for several reasons. All of your "evidence" is subjective because they're all what you think. Before I knew any better, I thought that nurture affected a person more than nature did, but after actually reading LITERATURE on the topic, I found out the inverse was true.

Old Post 09-12-2002 03:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MellowYellow

what about tia and tamera..

heh heh... just kidding...

not nature or nurture... nature and nurture...

it's not one or the other.... it's some and then the other... you can't say that the environment doesn't have an effect on a being at all... but you can't say that the genetic makeup of that person doesn't have an effect at all either...

i agree with tm11 although i don't have all the facts down.. there's nothing to argue... it's both... you even said it yourself julie.... but according to the facts i DID get from both of you....i would think nature would have a bigger impact on personality than nurture would...

Old Post 09-12-2002 05:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MellowYellow Click here to Send MellowYellow a Private Message Find more posts by MellowYellow Add MellowYellow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

did I sound like I was leaning towards enviroment shaping people? because if I sounded like that I didn't mean to, I was just stating what I thought... I'm sorrie if I misled you to think that I was leaning towards one more than the other... I really don't know what to think about genetics or enviroment shaping personalities

Old Post 09-12-2002 05:15 AM
grumpy

i think both...
nature cuz it's nature. and also "nurture" cuz for example, what if you were really close with someone and then you dont see em for a long time and then after a while u do, and they change? they changed cuz of their environment right?

Old Post 09-15-2002 12:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for grumpy Click here to Send grumpy a Private Message Find more posts by grumpy Add grumpy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote