Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Interests > Technology > I Need Help With Computers >.<
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dalgyal
eGG head :D*

I Need Help With Computers >.<

hehe okiez.. i got a new computer yesterdai and i needa move all my files on my old computer to the new one. my old one has a zip drive, but no cd-rw and my new one has a cd-rw, but no zip drive. my dadz thinkin` of gettin` either an external zip drive or an external cd-rw drive. but i was wondering if there's any other way that i could like hook up the two computers with a cable wire link thing to transfer the files from one computer to the next.

my next question is that is there any way that i could use one cable modem for two computers? i have only 1 cable modem, and i kno that i could buy a router and chips for each computer to share the one, but that costs like almost $230. is it possible that i could buy a wireless usb modem instead, since a usb port is used to hook up the cable and use that?

ooO one more thing: watz the different difference between a wireless USB network adapter and a wireless 4-port router? o.O;;

heheh` dis iss confusin` buh if you get what im talkin` bout please help me~

Last edited by dalgyal on 08-18-2002 at 03:06 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-18-2002 02:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dalgyal Click here to Send dalgyal a Private Message Visit dalgyal's homepage! Find more posts by dalgyal Add dalgyal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eddiee
werD?

you can link up the two computers using the router with cables connecting to a network card..... and share the same cable modem with the router too .....
correct me if im rong

Old Post 08-18-2002 03:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for eddiee Click here to Send eddiee a Private Message Find more posts by eddiee Add eddiee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Drunken Master
Umm... Yeah...

Hmm... you can try this, but you can't use the internet for the 2nd computer if the computer that's connected to the internet is off.

I'm inferring that you already have 2 network cards, one for each computer. Ok... you need to buy another one and install it to the computer that's connected to the internet. Then you need a crossover cable and connect it to the 2nd network card in the main computer and the 2nd computer.

After that, everything's just setting up the software settings in windows. It's really cheap this way, but like I said the downside is is that you can't choose what computer you want to go on to go on the internet.

BTW, what operating system do you have?

Old Post 08-18-2002 03:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Drunken Master Click here to Send Drunken Master a Private Message Find more posts by Drunken Master Add Drunken Master to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dalgyal
eGG head :D*

quote:
Originally posted by Drunken Master
Hmm... you can try this, but you can't use the internet for the 2nd computer if the computer that's connected to the internet is off.

I'm inferring that you already have 2 network cards, one for each computer. Ok... you need to buy another one and install it to the computer that's connected to the internet. Then you need a crossover cable and connect it to the 2nd network card in the main computer and the 2nd computer.

After that, everything's just setting up the software settings in windows. It's really cheap this way, but like I said the downside is is that you can't choose what computer you want to go on to go on the internet.

BTW, what operating system do you have?

hey.. um i have a pentium 3 for my old one and my new one is pentium 4. wait.. if i have a network card, or a 4-port router, do i still need my cable modem?? :huh:

Old Post 08-18-2002 04:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dalgyal Click here to Send dalgyal a Private Message Visit dalgyal's homepage! Find more posts by dalgyal Add dalgyal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tea
Official Pothead

i remember when i had to transport all my info into a new computer

i used a program called pc link i think

it connects 2 computers via parallel port and u send files from one computer to the other

Old Post 08-18-2002 04:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tea Click here to Send tea a Private Message Find more posts by tea Add tea to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sangxjin

the second one cant use the internet if the first computer is off only if you are using a cross-over cable. and the thing about a wireless usb modem is that its expensive so are the usb network cards you will have to buy. and if you network your computers together using a router or some sort of hub you can share files between computers. if you need a more detailed explanation PM me.

Old Post 08-18-2002 02:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sangxjin Click here to Send sangxjin a Private Message Visit sangxjin's homepage! Find more posts by sangxjin Add sangxjin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DEmeant0r
Ex-Mod

Re: I Need Help With Computers >.<

quote:
Originally posted by dalgyal
hehe okiez.. i got a new computer yesterdai and i needa move all my files on my old computer to the new one. my old one has a zip drive, but no cd-rw and my new one has a cd-rw, but no zip drive. my dadz thinkin` of gettin` either an external zip drive or an external cd-rw drive. but i was wondering if there's any other way that i could like hook up the two computers with a cable wire link thing to transfer the files from one computer to the next.

my next question is that is there any way that i could use one cable modem for two computers? i have only 1 cable modem, and i kno that i could buy a router and chips for each computer to share the one, but that costs like almost $230. is it possible that i could buy a wireless usb modem instead, since a usb port is used to hook up the cable and use that?

ooO one more thing: watz the different difference between a wireless USB network adapter and a wireless 4-port router? o.O;;

If your new computer has a new harddrive then plug in your old HD and boot up your comp in your new HD and move your files, hope this helped.

Old Post 08-18-2002 05:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DEmeant0r Click here to Send DEmeant0r a Private Message Visit DEmeant0r's homepage! Find more posts by DEmeant0r Add DEmeant0r to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micron
all i need is a miracle

Re: I Need Help With Computers >.<

quote:

the solution for both problem is to set up a network. this way, you will be able to use the internet concurrently on both computers and share files between each other. there are two different approaches when setting up a home network.

your first option, which i would recommend, is for you to buy a router and two network interface cards (or an all in one package). this would be more effecient but would costs more money.

your next option is to buy three network interface cards (nics) and put two in for the computer where you will designate the proxy server. you will have to link your modem to one of the cards (or use a usb port, which in this case, you will only need two nics). you will then have to connect the two computers using a crossover cable, as a standard cat5e cable wont work. this approach will be cheaper, but only if you download a proxy server from a warez site. if not, this would be a much more expensive method so you should go with the first. another drawback is that you will have to leave the computer designated as the proxy server on for you to access the internet with the other computer.

a 'wireless usb modem' would be unnessary. you will still need to set up a proxy server on the computer where the usb modem is attached to. a 'USB network adapter' works the same as a network interface card, except instead of using a pci slot, it uses a usb port. a '4-port router' links a local network to a remote network, which would be the internet in this case. with that said, you should really go buy a router and set up your network that way. its the faster and easier way.

Old Post 08-19-2002 02:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Drunken Master
Umm... Yeah...

quote:

hey.. um i have a pentium 3 for my old one and my new one is pentium 4. wait.. if i have a network card, or a 4-port router, do i still need my cable modem?? :huh:

Yup... cause that's what you use to get ON the internet... the network card and the router just accepts whatever is given to them by the cable modem. oh and the speeds of you computers doesn't matter. It should work.. I networked my p2 with my amd thunderbird so it should be fine.

Old Post 08-19-2002 07:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Drunken Master Click here to Send Drunken Master a Private Message Find more posts by Drunken Master Add Drunken Master to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
volcom strider
I'm going to be blind

i would forget the cable modem and network routers and stuff like that. i'd go with DEmeant0r's idea. i'd only sacrifice the money for a dsl and that's only if i want programs, appz, games, and music. cable tends to get crowded, not worth the money.

Old Post 08-19-2002 08:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for volcom strider Click here to Send volcom strider a Private Message Find more posts by volcom strider Add volcom strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aznkid1008
God is my judge

for the transferin u can just use the cd-rw and write everythin then just take it out and put it into the other comp and then transfer from cd to the comp.

Remember the heros
Remember the lives
Remember the day
God bless

Old Post 08-19-2002 08:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for aznkid1008 Click here to Send aznkid1008 a Private Message Find more posts by aznkid1008 Add aznkid1008 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote