Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Enlightenment > Greatest Motivator: FEAR
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

Greatest Motivator: FEAR

true or false?

---------

does this go under enlightment? experience? debate?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-12-2003 08:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladi Jay Click here to Send Ladi Jay a Private Message Find more posts by Ladi Jay Add Ladi Jay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rawr itz errinn
Rawr~ SX! vrooooom!!

i think fear and pride are the top 2 reasons for the things we do/don't do.... some examples maybe?

*why do Asians try extra hard to get good grades? some of us (including myself) aren't gifted in the math area or in all subjects. i know that sometimes, i'm embarassed by the fact that i can't live up to the stereotype that all Asians are smart. geez, i'm taking statistics instead of calculus. it's sad that while most people are trying to live down a stereotype, i'm trying to live up to one. then there's the parents. some of us are scared to get bad grades in fear of what our parents will do to us or think of us. in time, most of us grow out of that.

*why do we never ask out that special person? one word: rejection. some of us are scared to death of it. come on people... what's the worst that can happen? you won't have a date. we only live life once. so make the best of it. do what you really want to do.

*why do we hold grudges against former friends? either something really fucked up or we're just being pussies we're trying to avoid talking about it. some people may say that it was the other person's fault and they're the ones that need to apologize... come on now... let's not be a babo. besides, since when does having more friends hurt people?

*why do we sometimes not speak up when our "territory" has been violated? Ex. when people make racist comments (not joking), some people just stand around, ignore it, or laugh with them. i think that a lot of people are scared to stand up for what they believe in. that's whack. end of statement. it's pitiful that we've grown up in a surrounding where we're scared to say what's on our mind.

i'm at school and i'm short on time so no further examples....

Old Post 05-19-2003 02:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rawr itz errinn Click here to Send rawr itz errinn a Private Message Find more posts by rawr itz errinn Add rawr itz errinn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
merdawg
: My Avatar is So CUTE :

the greatest motivation for me, is a deadline.

"Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable. " - Bruce Lee

Old Post 05-19-2003 10:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for merdawg Click here to Send merdawg a Private Message Find more posts by merdawg Add merdawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Yu Lin

hmm...i always thought death and pain were the greatest motivations.

Old Post 05-24-2003 04:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Yu Lin Click here to Send Yu Lin a Private Message Visit Yu Lin's homepage! Find more posts by Yu Lin Add Yu Lin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
huby40
Squeak....

quote:
Originally posted by Yu Lin
hmm...i always thought death and pain were the greatest motivations.

is it really actual deaht and pain, or is the fear of death and pain ?

Old Post 05-24-2003 05:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for huby40 Click here to Send huby40 a Private Message Find more posts by huby40 Add huby40 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy

ack, there's no quick-reply box at this forum

anyway, when you think about it, it all boils down to fear, so i'll say yes; fear is the greatest motivator. Be it fear of death, failure, suffering, etc., we are all motivated to whatever it is we strive to do (get good grades, go to a good college, get a good job) because we don't want to be scared of what might happen if we don't work for it.

Am i making sense here? bleh, i'm tired

Old Post 05-25-2003 12:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy Click here to Send sleepy a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy Add sleepy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

There might be people who aren't motivated by fear.

Old Post 05-25-2003 09:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OneWeCallOMEGA

Death. Death is the absolute motivator. Our bodies aren't even aware of what they do in order to prolong their ongiong living. Bloodcells, emotions, nerves that cause pain.... these are all used to help us avoid things that may cause death. We feel pain when we are hungry. A scab forms over a cut to help stop infection. We feel attracted (or some do, i dunno what's going anymore) to the oppositte sex for reproduction. We can't help any of these things yet they all have an impact on continuing our lives. Fear is not what motivates us, our brain creates the emotion fear because it helps us live longer. You touch fire, it burns intensely, you are now afraid to touch fire. Why? Because fire can kill you. Our nerves tell us that, also something we can't help. As for school, success.... these worries are also emotion based. Emotion created by our brain to help us live longer, avoiding death.

Old Post 06-14-2003 01:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for OneWeCallOMEGA Click here to Send OneWeCallOMEGA a Private Message Find more posts by OneWeCallOMEGA Add OneWeCallOMEGA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

quote:
Originally posted by OneWeCallOMEGA
Death. Death is the absolute motivator. Our bodies aren't even aware of what they do in order to prolong their ongiong living. Bloodcells, emotions, nerves that cause pain.... these are all used to help us avoid things that may cause death. We feel pain when we are hungry. A scab forms over a cut to help stop infection. We feel attracted (or some do, i dunno what's going anymore) to the oppositte sex for reproduction. We can't help any of these things yet they all have an impact on continuing our lives. Fear is not what motivates us, our brain creates the emotion fear because it helps us live longer. You touch fire, it burns intensely, you are now afraid to touch fire. Why? Because fire can kill you. Our nerves tell us that, also something we can't help. As for school, success.... these worries are also emotion based. Emotion created by our brain to help us live longer, avoiding death.

And with the advent of Poignanex, this won’t matter anymore.

Old Post 06-14-2003 04:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
niggoreanboi
WHAT THE FUZZZ?!?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by merdawg
the greatest motivation for me, is a deadline.

yes

Old Post 06-25-2003 06:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for niggoreanboi Click here to Send niggoreanboi a Private Message Find more posts by niggoreanboi Add niggoreanboi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KeN VeRsUs RyU
the old guy.

the only thing that'll get me to jump off a bridge, wrestle with alligators and not act like a chicken.. is...

GREATEST MOTIVATOR:

A HOT GIRL.

xanga.com/an1_mixtape

Old Post 06-26-2003 05:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KeN VeRsUs RyU Click here to Send KeN VeRsUs RyU a Private Message Find more posts by KeN VeRsUs RyU Add KeN VeRsUs RyU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

money is not a motivator. (Herzberg)

There it is. Anyway i just feel like spouting out IB Business information.

Motivation in the workplace has been analyzed by researchers in the social science field and a number of them have become rather prevalent among knowledge to hold about the workplace in general.

This is about the workplace, but i am sure it can be extended to other aspects of life easily.

Herzberg says there are two types of motivators, hygiene factors, and motivating factors. Hygiene factors include that which is expected and do not motivate. This means money, shelter, security, etc. Motivating factors include things like self-actualization for the person, betterment for the company etc. A shared feeling that motivates its employees to work harder.

Then most people know Maslow's hierachy of needs. As you attain the steps of the pyramid, they cease to become motivating factors anymore and revert to hygiene factors. In this way, money is not a motivating factor becuase it is never permanent. It only satisfies and motivates for a certain amount of time, temporary. The bottom of the pyramid covers physiological needs, and the top most business classes only discuss as the very top as "self-actualization." That being to actualize one's own potential is the greatest motivating factor. On Maslow's original pyramid there was another step to the pyramid, and that was "spirituality." But, that is not taught in business classrooms for obvious reasons.

The hawthorne studies showed that people will work harder when they know they are being watched. Meaning, surveillance = motivation, or whatever terms you would like to put it in.

McGregor's Theory X and Y kind of apply. They both describe different types of workers. Theory X is a worker who does not want to work, adn needs to be told what to do. Theory Y describes a worker who loves to work, who wants to work, and does not need to be told what to do. Who wants more responsibility, etc.

Ouchi's Theory Z describes a worker who is motivated to work for a company out of loyalty for that business. This describes more eastern workplaces, where one stays with the company throughout all the bad times for the sake of loyalty or wahtever. So that is another motivating factor, seemingly not connected to fear at all.

Then there is another person i forgot, but he describes two types of benefits an employee receives. They are intrinsic and extrinsic benefits. Intrinsic benefits are things such as self-esteem, feeling satisfaction for doing something, not physica things. Extrinsic benefits include money, and things that are given to the person for doing something.

Anyway, i hope this is some sort of template that can be extended to other aspects of life. Wow, i am bored haha. School is gone and i am bringing it back

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 07-01-2003 08:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KeN VeRsUs RyU
the old guy.

ok ANYWAYZ

like i said..

HOT GIRL.

xanga.com/an1_mixtape

Old Post 07-01-2003 09:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for KeN VeRsUs RyU Click here to Send KeN VeRsUs RyU a Private Message Find more posts by KeN VeRsUs RyU Add KeN VeRsUs RyU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

well, i was trying to liven it up by allowing people to pick and choose, and providing different insight than everyone's replications of each other. Hoping to entice conversation.

But, sure.

-Cromwell

Old Post 07-02-2003 06:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
requiem
Book Mod/Batman Fan

It seems IB Business is largely based on motivational psychology.
On a side note, these forums seem to be dying.

Old Post 07-02-2003 06:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for requiem Click here to Send requiem a Private Message Find more posts by requiem Add requiem to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-DraGoNz
Music/Multimedia/Lyricism

quote:
Originally posted by KeN VeRsUs RyU
ok ANYWAYZ

like i said..

HOT GIRL.

lol sang. hm...fear the greatest motivator? i suppose..

http://www.mcjdragonz.com

http://www.dynamicvocalz.tk

http://www.streetmaderecordz.tk

Old Post 07-02-2003 06:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for J-DraGoNz Click here to Send J-DraGoNz a Private Message Visit J-DraGoNz's homepage! Find more posts by J-DraGoNz Add J-DraGoNz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:
Originally posted by requiem
It seems IB Business is largely based on motivational psychology.
On a side note, these forums seem to be dying.

it was only one chapter about motivational theory.

Yes, the forums are dying.

-Cromwell

Old Post 07-03-2003 05:31 AM
Yooniece
Something Corporate

quote:
Originally posted by rawr itz errinn
i think fear and pride are the top 2 reasons for the things we do/don't do...

I think pride is the gist of it. You just can't defeat that one.

Fear and pride go hand in hand.. there are some who fear failure and work harder because they do not wish to look incompetent in front of their peers (pride). Fear is a loss of control, one that hurts the ego.

Old Post 01-03-2004 04:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Yooniece Click here to Send Yooniece a Private Message Visit Yooniece's homepage! Find more posts by Yooniece Add Yooniece to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote