Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Debate > Mental Health Care
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

Mental Health Care

So, what's everyone (victor, me, tommy, hahah jp everyone else can answer too...any other deb8tors here?) think about the new nat'l debate topic?

"The United States Federal Government should substantially increase public health services in mental health care."

I like it better than last years topic so far, but that may change. heh.

ahhh, only 4 days left of debate camp left! :omg:

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-30-2002 09:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

so far I haven't really been impressed by this topic. jestingly, I'd say people picked it because of the massive hard-ons they have for Foucault, but that's really far from the truth. The cases that have been written at camp are mediocre, a lot of them don't seem to be really topical, but they'll be the core cases. It's a shame, oh well. They aren't really that strong either, this year will be interesting. I liked last year's topic a lot, and the privacy topic was tight too. Education was cool, but I didn't take a lot out of it as just a novice. We'll see though, this year.

Old Post 07-30-2002 09:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

this topic has a LOT of leeway for T violations IMO. And Ks.
So we're probably expecting to see alot of that (you guys would know alot more since you went to camp)

Yea the privacy topic was supposed to be pretty solid, and was a good intro for novices.
With last years topic, most thing most novices learned was just blow up the Impact like a motherfuker, then answer all the off and on case. For the neg the strat was just run a d/a + 100 different crappy K's to take up all their time. Then if you don't get an independant voter off all that, then go for case...basic, but alot of powerplay. It didn't teach us very much about handling complex arguments, or tweaking the little things.

This years topic would generate alot of good debates though, and will probably have the debaters thinking alot to answer the other side.

In addition, the topic is succeptable to a great deal of Judge Bias, even moreso than last year's topic i believe.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 07-30-2002 09:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aznkid1008
God is my judge

WAIT WAIT wasnt last years topic like weapons of mass destruction and stuff?
well hell look at how many freakin nut cases we hav, in the world also, crazy sobs
i dunno, i guess america should but the ones that REALLY need help usually dont go and get help... :huh:

Remember the heros
Remember the lives
Remember the day
God bless

Old Post 07-31-2002 04:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aznkid1008 Click here to Send aznkid1008 a Private Message Find more posts by aznkid1008 Add aznkid1008 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

yeah, it's K crazy. We just had a tourney at the end of camp and it was hellafied k's every round. People were running like 2 or 3 of them too. I've never debated K's before and it was a new experience. It is interesting though.

-Cromwell

Old Post 08-02-2002 10:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

K is like a double-edged sword IMO. If the teams are good, and understand it and understand how to run it through and through, then it calls for a good debate that would be really interesting.

However, Ks are also like the newbie golden gun. Though it might be hard for them to do so, if they just convince the judge that it is both independent voter and that they capture it, then they win. Just like that. Doesn't matter how skilled they are, or how well they understand the case.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 08-03-2002 02:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter
K is like a double-edged sword IMO. If the teams are good, and understand it and understand how to run it through and through, then it calls for a good debate that would be really interesting.

However, Ks are also like the newbie golden gun. Though it might be hard for them to do so, if they just convince the judge that it is both independent voter and that they capture it, then they win. Just like that. Doesn't matter how skilled they are, or how well they understand the case.

Yeah i suppose, but not always, and moreso i think not usually. Especially when the aff tries to permute them, then it gets interesting.

I'm gonna write this sweet case that avoids all K's haha, it actually does avoid a whole lot of them i just have to figure out how to make it topical (haha, yep).

-Cromwell

Old Post 08-03-2002 03:07 AM
tm11
down by law

i think both of you are completely wrong about kritik's. i'll post more on this later, i have to finish writing my 2ac blocks for some practice rounds tomorrow. I have to write them for Foucault and feminism, this should be easy since my partner and I rock the K. haha. later

Old Post 08-03-2002 04:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

HAH! i do no debate work at all...man writing Blox are the worst. Worst ever.

Theres a couple girls, they aren't that great, but they spend so much fuckin time writing blocks. Sad...

King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 08-03-2002 04:43 AM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

so anyway,

What does everyone think? Should there be parity between mental health care and physical health care? As in hospitals, insurance or whatever.

-Cromwell

Old Post 08-03-2002 09:19 PM