Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Interests > Literature > recommend a book
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
annabanana
Food Moderator

recommend a book

what book left a lasting impression with you? like, what book touched you? recommend a book that you think others should read and if you want to, give a brief review.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-07-2002 01:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for annabanana Click here to Send annabanana a Private Message Find more posts by annabanana Add annabanana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM
. : c r y : .

this book is pretti popular...death be not proud ...i readit wen i wuz in 7th grd. it wuz a good book, but i dun realli like reading nonfiction so i didn't like it THAT much. but it's basically a father's memoirs about his dying son. and it's realli sad!!!! the boy has a brain tumor and he wuz realli smart and everything...well i think u shud read it

Old Post 05-07-2002 06:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sangxjin

go to bn.com and search for best reviews

Props To Huby

Old Post 05-08-2002 10:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sangxjin Click here to Send sangxjin a Private Message Visit sangxjin's homepage! Find more posts by sangxjin Add sangxjin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dalgyal
eGG head :D*

memoirs of a geisha - arther golden
a step from heaven - an na

wOoah does were good books..
the first onez an adult book.. japanese background.. realliEE good..
second onez a teen-kinda book..korean background.. made me crY >.<

Old Post 05-12-2002 06:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dalgyal Click here to Send dalgyal a Private Message Visit dalgyal's homepage! Find more posts by dalgyal Add dalgyal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

if anyone hasn't, they should read the Ender Quartet by Orson Scott Card...i love those books! They are so kul.

First one is Ender's Game, and they spring off from there...i don't remember the titles of all of them, hmm Children of the Mind is the last one, Xenocide is the third one adn i dun remember the second one.

There are also parallel books that he writes about another character in the same series. I've only read Ender's Shadow, but theres another called Shadow of the Hegemon.

They are fun to read!

Old Post 05-12-2002 06:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

9-11 by Noam Chomsky

Old Post 05-12-2002 10:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kRypTic_nABi
nohl jah q(-_-)p

i liked great expectations..
and a play called cyrano..

uhm..das all..i dont read much bOoks :satisfy:

Old Post 05-12-2002 10:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kRypTic_nABi Click here to Send kRypTic_nABi a Private Message Find more posts by kRypTic_nABi Add kRypTic_nABi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mouko
I need therapy

I've said it before in the forums.

The Perks of Being a wallflower by Stephen Chobsky is really good.

If you liked catcher in the rye you'll like this book. If you never read Catcher, get both :)

Old Post 05-12-2002 11:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mouko Click here to Send Mouko a Private Message Visit Mouko's homepage! Find more posts by Mouko Add Mouko to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

i guess The Phantom Tollbooth would have to be my favorite book, but it's more of a book for younger ppl. so I like the hitchiker's guide to the galaxy

Old Post 05-14-2002 04:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dreamcatcher

quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist
i guess The Phantom Tollbooth would have to be my favorite book, but it's more of a book for younger ppl. so I like the hitchiker's guide to the galaxy

oh yeah! The Phantom Tollbooth rules! But besides that, uhh... Forbidden City about the Tiananmen Square massacre in Beijing, uh... and ooh! all of the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman (eek! so good!!).. I dunno, a lot more, but I'm too tired to think of them.

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
- Chinese Proverb

Old Post 06-05-2002 02:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dreamcatcher Click here to Send Dreamcatcher a Private Message Find more posts by Dreamcatcher Add Dreamcatcher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

phantom tollbooth! haha, yeah i remember that book. I read that in 4th grade, it's pretty good as i remember it.

Forbidden City is aight, we actually had that for an assigned book in my 7th grade class. It was the best book of that year though.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 06-06-2002 01:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kRypTic_nABi
nohl jah q(-_-)p

i like the cay
great expectations
that one book..i forgot wut its called..but on the cover..it has a boy's leg..damn~ its on da tip of mah tongue tOo i think it starts with an M tho...>.<
i liked the hatchet..
tuck everlasting..
and a couple of summers ago..i was really into the V.C. Andrew's series~

Last edited by kRypTic_nABi on 06-06-2002 at 01:36 AM

Old Post 06-06-2002 01:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kRypTic_nABi Click here to Send kRypTic_nABi a Private Message Find more posts by kRypTic_nABi Add kRypTic_nABi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hoyoungz luv
eunice~

I really enjoyed reading The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. It takes place during the Great Depression. What's fascinating about this book is that it's sort of like two stories in one book. One part of the book focuses on one family, the Joads, through their struggle to move out to California in order to survive. The other follows the entire group of people who were affected by the Great Depression and decided to move west. The two stories supplement each other and I think it worked very well. The general story gave me information about the Great Depression that i didn't know before and the story of the Joads was an actual story. It's a fictional book, but the characters are very realistic. None of them are perfect, which I guess is what makes them so believable. I really liked the mother; she had a 'quiet strength' about her which I found awesome. This book is about people: who they are, how they struggle through difficult times with pride, how they relate to their family... arrghh. I'm so bad at putting my thoughts into words. To use the little summary on the back cover, this book is about 'the human spirit.' gOsh. Why couldn't I have thought of that. :P

edit ->

wOOps. Sorry to make this stupid post even longer, but I forgot a book. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton is a really good book. This is more about the social class.... segregation? I can't really think of the word I'm looking for. It's a pretty easy read; it seems to be geared toward the jr. high school level. The characters drew me in; I admit I have stereotypes about 'inner city' type of kids, the gangbangers, etc. This book kind of gave me a sense that people can't be classified into just one group. Well, I didn't realize it the first time I read it. I picked it up again a few weeks ago. I cried the first time I read it and I cried again when I read it a while blech.

come join the fun -> and ->

Last edited by hoyoungz luv on 06-07-2002 at 08:29 AM

Old Post 06-07-2002 08:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hoyoungz luv Click here to Send hoyoungz luv a Private Message Find more posts by hoyoungz luv Add hoyoungz luv to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TAIgrr
MM caramel FRAP! =P

hot zone
of men and mice
how to become a millionaire in a week(?)
charlie and the chocolate factory( REALLY great book)

Old Post 06-29-2002 05:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TAIgrr Click here to Send TAIgrr a Private Message Find more posts by TAIgrr Add TAIgrr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tea
Official Pothead

the things they carried (a touching war story)
into the wild (true story about a man in seach of himself)

i read these books in winter quarter of my freshman year in college..i liked them very much =)

also..chinese playground is very good...its about chinese gangs

Old Post 06-29-2002 06:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tea Click here to Send tea a Private Message Find more posts by tea Add tea to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
untouchable
cuz im ur #1

the fountainhead by ayn rand...and also atlas shrugged is a good book. atonement is such a good book....you should read that one also.

Old Post 07-03-2002 06:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for untouchable Click here to Send untouchable a Private Message Visit untouchable's homepage! Find more posts by untouchable Add untouchable to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KeN VeRsUs RyU
the old guy.

the bible

i think i've sat down and attempted to read the whole bible at least 5 times

so far i've memorized the first 3 words of the bible

"in the beginning..."

maybe im wrong on that too... damn wheres my bible

xanga.com/an1_mixtape

Old Post 07-03-2002 06:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KeN VeRsUs RyU Click here to Send KeN VeRsUs RyU a Private Message Find more posts by KeN VeRsUs RyU Add KeN VeRsUs RyU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
castle outsider

The Stranger by Albert Camus

this book deals with the meaning of life. it not long and very easy to read. its very good so if you guys just want read something over a weekend i suggest this book.

theres lots of versions to this book because its translated from french. i suggest you to get the one with a darkish blue color.

hope you guys like it

Old Post 07-11-2002 06:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for castle outsider Click here to Send castle outsider a Private Message Visit castle outsider's homepage! Find more posts by castle outsider Add castle outsider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Amanda

Les Miserables is an awesome book. You really get to understand the poverty stricken population of France. You even get a love story, to boot. I remember my entire class enjoying that book, too. We had some great discussions. I know some people are going to laugh at me, but I also thought the Good Earth was an awesome book. A lot of the kids in my class didn't like it, though. Well, it never hurts to try reading it!

Old Post 07-14-2002 04:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Amanda Click here to Send Amanda a Private Message Visit Amanda's homepage! Find more posts by Amanda Add Amanda to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
storm

Bloodtide by Melvin Burgess - such a cool book, loved the style, and the plot was really unpredictable too
A Time to Kill by John Grisham
The Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan
the 'Tomorrow' series by John Marsden
Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder (SOO GOOD!!! about philosophy...the first half is kinda boring but the whole thing is just so cool! a must read)

Old Post 07-17-2002 12:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for storm Click here to Send storm a Private Message Find more posts by storm Add storm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote