Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Entertainment > Music > CD Reviews > Kangta 1: Polaris
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
GinaDaQueen

Kangta 1: Polaris

Artist: Kangta
Album number and title: 1, Polaris
Tracks: 15
Rating: 6.5/10

Some of you may know Kangta (a.k.a Ahn Chil Hyun) as a former member of the five-member sensation, H.O.T. After their heartbreaking ending, Kangta has come back stronger than ever as a solo artist, with his album, Polaris. For this album, Kangta decided to intertwine jazz into his already brilliant music styles. This may have turned off some of the fans, however, he was the first artist of the gayo world to do so and he has pulled it off magnificently. His jazzy songs can be heard in "Falling in Love” and "Thanks God”. However, most of his songs sounded very similar to each other and other works he have composed in the past. He could have pulled it off if it weren’t for the repetitive instrumentals that are noticeable in every song. If it weren’t for his hit songs such as "Polaris”, this album would not have made an impact in the music world.

Songs
Track 1: Oh! Geu Dae Reul (Falling In Love)
This has a very jazzy sound to it and will definitely be a goody for those jazz fans out there. However, I felt that this song sounded a lot like Hey's "Je T’aime”. They had the same sound to it in terms of beat. This isn’t one of my favorite songs due to the fact that this tune was already "used”. I’d like to see some more originality from Kangta.

Track 2: Byul Eh Go Baek (Longing) Interlude
Even though this is just an interlude, it sounds VERY similar to "Polaris”. It’s just the usual interlude where the artist talks about life and love. Nothing special about it. Very ho hum.

Track 3: Book Geuk Sung (Polaris)
This was the first title track for Kangta and his new album. This is a very sad ballad about his longing for a girl that he is no longer with. He sings about his woes and how much he misses her. The lyrics are just like any other love song, but the chorus of this song really caught me more than anything.

Track 4: Thanks God (Thanks 8)
In this slow ballad, Kangta is asking God to take care of the girl that he loves. When I first heard this song, I wasn’t really attracted to this song. After hearing it a few more times, I started to like it, but my like never turned to love. This is a mediocre song in my opinion. This is another one of the jazz pieces that he composed.

Track 5: Seu Mool Set {23} (My Life)
This fast song sounds VERY similar to many songs that he has composed in the past, such as "Bi” by NRG. It has the same beat to it and the same musical stylings. This song is very inspiring, talking about how he will "change the world” and make an impact.

Track 6: Gyuh Ool (Last Winter)
This is a short little narration about his love for winter, even though he is hurt. It’s very sad, but it had no impact on me. This album has way too many little narrations about love and life.

Track 7: In Your Eyes
This is one of my favorite songs on the CD. When I first heard it, I immediately knew this is the song that attracted me to the CD. I wish that this were one of his hit singles. This is a very lovely song. Even if you don’t buy the CD, this is a must have in your mp3 collection. It is a slow ballad and definitely worth the download time.

Track 8: Dang Shin Eeh Ahl Goh Eet Duhn Nahn (Still...)
This sounds like a usual Kangta song. The same old tune but somehow, this song caught my ears more than the other ones. It’s nice and slow and easy to listen to. It reminds me of Now n New’s “Ha Nah Dweh Yo”. A nice song and definitely a good song for everyone. Kangta’s voice sounds very sweet and caressing in this song.

Track 9: Doobidub
Wow. This song also sounds just like Hey’s "Je T’aime”. Wow the similarity scares me O.O But this has a good "scat” feeling to it. But I think Kangta should stick to his signature songs. His voice doesn’t match well with this song.

Track 10: Nah...Seh Sang...Nah (I Will)
Another narration. Too many of these can ruin a CD. It almost did for Kangta's. It's a good thing he had SOME good songs on this CD. I really like the tune of this one though. Interesting.

Track 11: Geu Hae Yuh Reum (Late Summer Night)
Hehe, I really liked this song. It was excellent. I loved the words. This song really made me cry. I don't know why. I interpreted the words in a very beautiful way. When I heard the chorus, I literally cried right there at the bus stop, where I was listening to this song on my CD player. This is also a must-have for all you mp3 junkies.

Track 12: Blue Moon
I don’t like this song. No special reason. It just didn’t catch my attention. I always ended up skipping to the next track when I heard this song. The chorus part is okay, though. It sounds like a song that might be heard in a fairy, such as "Cinderella” or something like that.

Track 13: Hah Yahn Uhl Gool Loh (With You White Face)
Haha, another jazz song. The title of this song got me laughing. When I read <White face> in the title, I immediately thought of a mime and I just imagined him singing about a mime. Okay, I’m weird. Hehe. I like and dislike (at the same time) the part where he says <Hah Yahn Uhl Gool Loh> like about a billion times. It gets a little repetitive. I love the little piano "solo”. Very nice.

Track 14: Oh Neul Gaht Chee Eeh Ruhn Chang Bahkk Eeh Joh Ah (Rainy Day)
"Rainy Day” is a very sad song. Basically, he’s being stood up, and he’s waiting in the café for "her” to come. It sounds very sad. I actually liked this song, even thought it had a very little jazzy sound to it. This doesn't sound like any song he’s written before. It is very relaxing and calm listening to this song. I can imagine being in a café on a rainy day, just looking out the window, drinking a nice hot cappuccino and reading a nice book.

Track 15: Polaris (Instrumental)
This is just "Polaris” without the words. I don’t know why people bother putting these on their albums.

Overall, I guess this album was okay. It wasn't one of the greatest that I’ve heard. I was expecting to like every single song on this CD and I was disappointed that only some songs interested me. The jazzy sound he had turned me off, I guess. If you are a fan of Kangta, I suggest you get this album. This sounds like something Lee Ji Hoon would sing. Both of them have very good ballads but their fast songs are not their strong points. I would give this a 6.5/10 because there were too many useless tracks on here.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-21-2002 01:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GinaDaQueen Click here to Send GinaDaQueen a Private Message Find more posts by GinaDaQueen Add GinaDaQueen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Babu2002

Thumbs up

:music: yeah yeah same here...

Old Post 04-26-2002 03:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Babu2002 Click here to Send Babu2002 a Private Message Find more posts by Babu2002 Add Babu2002 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Babu2002

Thumbs up

I like Track#7-In your eyes

Old Post 05-03-2002 07:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Babu2002 Click here to Send Babu2002 a Private Message Find more posts by Babu2002 Add Babu2002 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jj2
JSL Member

great review GinaDaQueen! i thought this album was really good considering that it was all jazzy ^_^ my fav songs were 'thank god', 'in your eyes' and...er...actually i like the whole album...fullstop. LOL

Old Post 10-02-2002 02:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jj2 Click here to Send Jj2 a Private Message Find more posts by Jj2 Add Jj2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote