Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Enlightenment > personal philosophies
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
tm11
down by law

personal philosophies

haha. does anyone have any philosophy about their own lives, or a specific way they live their life? this'd just be interesting to see.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-12-2002 01:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

A-Yo! i got a sleep theory i live by tomas. Anyone interested can read it in my profile on AIM or if someone wants i'll post it (i might anyway since you asked tome )

Old Post 04-12-2002 01:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

ah yes. share the morpheus method.
I would follow that, but my normal schedule is so engrained, but i will experiment with it this summer. haha.

Old Post 04-12-2002 02:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micron
all i need is a miracle

i think,
therefore i am.

-descartes

ill elaborate later when i get internet back at home, which should be this saterday. im in school right now.

Old Post 04-13-2002 05:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

c'mon ju sun.
let's hear it....

descartes... eh?
I haven't read him before, but i know of him and about him.
I've also read some stuff where people blame him for many flaws in humynity's knowledge and progression in thought, but others have just had slight analysis on him.

Old Post 04-14-2002 05:28 PM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

hmm, i have heard that name. Was he a mathematician?

Old Post 04-14-2002 06:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

yes.
renee descartes
french, i beleive
mathematician and philosopher.

Old Post 04-14-2002 06:42 PM
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

Talking

All right, here's one my friend and I discussed and agreed upon:

If Descartes said "I think therefore I am" and this is true, that means that I exist. Because I think. I have no way of knowing that anyone else thinks therefore only I exist. Only Thoughts exist, my body doesn't. to you (If you exist) you might be the only one who exists. Therefore if a third party (preferably someone you don't like) is there, it is mutually non-existant to both of us. (Ahh I need a spellcheck thingy)

Old Post 04-18-2002 04:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

As you stated your thoughts exist, then if you think someone else exists then they exist. It's all about interpretations, not about the isolated person's thinking they only exist and not being able to verify if others think if they exist. It's YOUR interp, which is what i think the quote is getting at, not theres. I didn't put a lot of thought into this, so..-_-

Old Post 04-18-2002 06:17 PM
huby40
Squeak....

mine is "if you try to live your life just one way then you'll only experience one part of life."

Old Post 04-19-2002 11:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for huby40 Click here to Send huby40 a Private Message Find more posts by huby40 Add huby40 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

No, i think you misunderstood. (Damn, don't nobody understand me) I think it's because i'm not good at English (My 1st language and i still mess up)

you only know that you exist because you know your thoughts do, your thoughts of something exist but the thing itself may not.

Say your thinking about a ficticious character from a book. for example say "Arthur Dent" you can think of Arthur and that thought would exist but Arthur wouldn't nessecarily be existent.

So anything that is physically existent is just how your brain perceives it.

Some people don't believe in God because they can't percieve him. (by Sight, sound, etc.)
Well then, how could you prove that living people have brains?

anyway, i'm sure there are some holes here somewhere but I guess it's ok

Old Post 04-19-2002 12:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist
Well then, how could you prove that living people have brains?

simple
you juss cut their heaads open.. hahah nah j/k.

what you're saying does make sense.

we percieve things, but that doesn't necessarily constitute they exist. We know we exist, because we can think, "I exist."

That's the point Descartes made.

Old Post 04-19-2002 12:40 PM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

ahh, ok i got it a thousand thanks. I was thinking that might have been what you were saying but i wasn't sure.

Old Post 04-19-2002 12:55 PM
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

quote:
Originally posted by tm11

simple
you juss cut their heaads open.. hahah nah j/k.

what you're saying does make sense.

we percieve things, but that doesn't necessarily constitute they exist. We know we exist, because we can think, "I exist."

That's the point Descartes made.

Yeah, tm11 is better than me at explaining things. I just applied Descartes' idea. Like Galileo did to Copernicus

Old Post 04-19-2002 05:35 PM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

nah, your fine , i understood what you were saying from your second post, tis no problem.

Old Post 04-19-2002 05:49 PM
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

aight cool

Old Post 04-20-2002 12:04 PM
micron
all i need is a miracle

haha. i totally forgot about this..

i more or less had the idealistic rather than philosophical significance in mind. belief. idea. confidence. concept. reflection. these things make up who we are. and thats how i percieved the quote to mean.

Old Post 04-20-2002 01:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

Anyway, here's a theory i developed last year. I'll just paste it from my profile cause it's on that as well. So the writing may not be up to calibur (if they every were haha). Anyway, here it is:

The Morpheous Method -

It revolves around the idea and differentiation of your mental biological sleep clock, and your body's biological sleep clock. Simply put, when posed with the question: are you exausted when you wake up after a (say 2hour) nap in the middle of the afternoon? Most say no, they feel refreshed. Now, if you allow me, may i ask are you simply exhausted when you go to sleep for only 2 hours in the night time and wake up? Really, why? There is no reason. Let me tell you. The reason is simply because of your expectations, during the night time you are poised at sleeping for 6 or more hours because you want to, and even subconciously expect it. However, it is the same duration of time you napped in the day, only a different time of day. As when we toss humans in a cave we have found that the body has no natural biological clock. Therefore, it doesn't matter when you sleep or the duration of time, only that you get it. The night time is no different than the afternoon, and vice versa. It is all in the mentality, and the Placebo effect will rectify it in the situation. If you go to sleep in the middle of the night not expecting to get that much sleep, you will not be tired...seriously. It helps even more to envision the entire week as one day, and to get the same amount of hours of sleep needed in that week, but stretch it out so that you are not hindered by feeble mentality. So i bid you good night, rather good day...it doesn't matter as it is all in the mind.

Old Post 04-20-2002 01:27 PM