Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Spiritual Life > 'why do i believe in God?'
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
micron
all i need is a miracle

'why do i believe in God?'

hmm. i found this article pretty interesting. what do you think?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-07-2003 05:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KrNjJaNgGoO777

i liked this article a lot too. thanks for posting it. all i hafta say is "Amen"

Old Post 02-07-2003 06:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KrNjJaNgGoO777 Click here to Send KrNjJaNgGoO777 a Private Message Find more posts by KrNjJaNgGoO777 Add KrNjJaNgGoO777 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
requiem
Book Mod/Batman Fan

I'm surprised people who believe in God require websites that have to remind them.
To each his own.

Old Post 02-07-2003 06:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for requiem Click here to Send requiem a Private Message Find more posts by requiem Add requiem to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
merc

don't be. We are all human and because of that I think it is safe to say that we are all inherent with a degree of skeptism. Most of us were born questioning and asking "why?" since we were little. For this reason, it never hurts for a boost in our faith.

"Truth is not determined by how many people believe it."

"All the darkness in the world can not extinguish the light of a single candle."

Last edited by merc on 02-08-2003 at 08:16 AM

Old Post 02-08-2003 08:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for merc Click here to Send merc a Private Message Find more posts by merc Add merc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ajy

seriously. this is just propaganda to make us bleieve in god. Do i care if a bee's eye, or a bolt is precisely made so that it might of been a coincidence that god put it in someones brain to make it that way? no. because it didnt happen. what requiem said also is true. keep those thoughts to yourself, and stop trying to conforom others to believe in god.

Old Post 02-08-2003 01:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ajy Click here to Send ajy a Private Message Find more posts by ajy Add ajy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
merc

quote:
Originally posted by AjY 2k
seriously. this is just propaganda to make us bleieve in god. Do i care if a bee's eye, or a bolt is precisely made so that it might of been a coincidence that god put it in someones brain to make it that way? no. because it didnt happen. what requiem said also is true. keep those thoughts to yourself, and stop trying to conforom others to believe in god.

No one is trying to conform anyone to believe in God.
'hmm. i found this article pretty interesting. what do you think?' <- from the tone of jusun's statements i would think that is the last thing jusun would want.

"...keep those thoughts to yourself..."
This is the Spiritual Forum, hence the expression of thoughts related to SPIRITUAL matters.

"All the darkness in the world can not extinguish the light of a single candle."

Old Post 02-08-2003 03:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for merc Click here to Send merc a Private Message Find more posts by merc Add merc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM
. : c r y : .

eh, this article doesn't really resonate with my sense of reasoning. i don't find this spiritually uplifting, but it's interesting. i mean, can this explain how animals have evolved and everything? is it a coincidence that darwin's finches all have different beaks? i dunno...maib God did intend for the habitats of the diff islands to be different so the birds all have different beaks...but then no one knows that for sure. i mean, if you dropped a book, is that a coincidence?? :-/

Old Post 02-10-2003 07:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micron
all i need is a miracle

quote:
Originally posted by requiem
I'm surprised people who believe in God require websites that have to remind them.
To each his own.

jibberish. are you telling me youre against the pursuit of knowledge? i see this as that, not as some 'reminder' as you call it. but yes, to each his own.

quote:
Originally posted by merc
No one is trying to conform anyone to believe in God.
'hmm. i found this article pretty interesting. what do you think?' <- from the tone of jusun's statements i would think that is the last thing jusun would want.

"...keep those thoughts to yourself..."
This is the Spiritual Forum, hence the expression of thoughts related to SPIRITUAL matters.

heh. if only people read more thoroughly.

quote:
Originally posted by daNNy LuV 1TYM
eh, this article doesn't really resonate with my sense of reasoning. i don't find this spiritually uplifting, but it's interesting. i mean, can this explain how animals have evolved and everything? is it a coincidence that darwin's finches all have different beaks? i dunno...maib God did intend for the habitats of the diff islands to be different so the birds all have different beaks...but then no one knows that for sure. i mean, if you dropped a book, is that a coincidence?? :-/
its not the scope of the article to argue against darwinism, or for any specific religion for that matter, but to reason why the belief of an all powerful deity is logical. as far as the article is concerned, God may exist through evolution.

Old Post 02-13-2003 08:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
requiem
Book Mod/Batman Fan

That is not knowledge, that is biased words from a site that seeks to arm people against atheists like myself.

For example: "Study the circuitry of a computer or a bolt and nut whose threads matched perfectly. Do you believe that these objects were formed by chance? Why not? Who designed the living cell, a bee’s eye or the human brain with far greater complexity and synchronization? God did."

The circuitry of a computer was made by man. Nuts and bolts too. I THINK what this statement (or set of statements, as it were) is trying to say is that those things which were created by man are owed to God because he is the reason our brains are as they are today. How is this knowledge? This is OPINION. You claim this site is not made to argue against Darwinism, and yet this statement borders on just that. "Who" designed the living cell? Who implies a person, and the last sentence says "God". Now, if something tells us that God created the cell, eye or brain, some might consider that creationism. Creationism is Darwinism's largest opponent.

Once again:
"Study primitive to advanced cultures from every tribe, nation or language on earth. Do you find any group of people with no religious beliefs and practices? Why not? Who placed these innate spiritual needs and desires in all people? God did."

This link poses questions and then answers them itself with a "no". Perhaps they might even consider themselves to be wrong? Maybe.

Listen, I'm not here to bash anyone who believes in God. People do what they will and that's alright and certainly one of the greatest gifts man possesses. However, I will not have someone tell me something is in the "pursuit of knowledge" when it is factless and opinionated. Show me one fact in that entire page.

Main Entry: fact
Pronunciation: 'fakt
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin factum, from neuter of factus, past participle of facere
Date: 15th century
1 : a thing done: as a obsolete : FEAT b : CRIME <accessory after the fact> c archaic : ACTION
2 archaic : PERFORMANCE, DOING
3 : the quality of being actual : ACTUALITY <a question of fact hinges on evidence>
4 a : something that has actual existence <space exploration is now a fact> b : an actual occurrence <prove the fact of damage>
5 : a piece of information presented as having objective reality
- in fact : in truth

Also, if you should get around to it, explain to me how this site claims "God may exist through evolution."

"Do you find any error in its spiritual, practical, historical, scientific or prophetical truths, or any lack in its ability to speak truth to all cultures, ages and types of people? Why not?"

Notice the implied answer of "no". Anyone who answers "no" to that statement, especially the "scientific" aspect of it clearly accepts God already. The claims on this page are only "logical" if your mind is already bent towards believing in God in the first place.
I am eager to see your (or anyone's) reply.
By the way, next time you call something I write "jibberish" (or gibberish, as Webster would write), please consider what gibberish means. If you don't agree, just say so. Don't call my words unintelligible. I know you are capable of reading.

Edit: And to think, I tried to restrain myself from saying anything atheistic in this forum. "The best laid plans of mice and men..." it seems...

Old Post 02-13-2003 10:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for requiem Click here to Send requiem a Private Message Find more posts by requiem Add requiem to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

Random quote: "Isn't it weird? It seems as if atheists know more about Christianity that Christians do."

I'm not sure if this is true but some people might think it is and some people might not.

Old Post 02-14-2003 01:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
requiem
Book Mod/Batman Fan

quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist
Random quote: "Isn't it weird? It seems as if atheists know more about Christianity that Christians do."

I'm not sure if this is true but some people might think it is and some people might not.

I'd agree with this if it said "some christians". There are plenty of christians who know more about their faith than I do.

Old Post 02-14-2003 01:43 AM
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

quote:
I'd agree with this if it said "some christians". There are plenty of christians who know more about their faith than I do.

Oh I meant to put that sorry.

And it wasn't about you really.

Old Post 02-14-2003 01:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aznkid1008
God is my judge

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." -Albert Einstein
for those saying y is there propaganda its because people truely believe that Christianity is the truth and that as a Christian we hav a duty to spread that truth.

Remember the heros
Remember the lives
Remember the day
God bless

Old Post 02-14-2003 02:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aznkid1008 Click here to Send aznkid1008 a Private Message Find more posts by aznkid1008 Add aznkid1008 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
requiem
Book Mod/Batman Fan

quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist
Oh I meant to put that sorry.

And it wasn't about you really.

I realize that, but as an atheist I responded to a statement about atheists with my experience regarding that statement.

And if you have a "duty" to spread the "truth", could you please support your "truth" with factual evidence that nut jobs like myself will believe?

Old Post 02-14-2003 02:24 AM
daNNy LuV 1TYM
. : c r y : .

quote:
And if you have a "duty" to spread the "truth", could you please support your "truth" with factual evidence that nut jobs like myself will believe?

actualli, i don't think that can be done...if someone really wants to believe in God, then they will; they can't be forced to and no amount of reason will convicne them. religion is more than realizing something like "oh, that makes sense. i believe now." it's more than that...and i don't know how to explain it, but i just think it's kind of pointless for people to try to win over atheists because i believe a person has to want to believe before they actually can.
but, that's not to say christian's shouldn't evangelize. spreading the word is good, but i think it's up to the individual to decide for him/herself if they want to believe.

Old Post 02-15-2003 01:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
merc

quote:
actualli, i don't think that can be done...if someone really wants to believe in God, then they will; they can't be forced to and no amount of reason will convicne them. religion is more than realizing something like "oh, that makes sense. i believe now." it's more than that...and i don't know how to explain it, but i just think it's kind of pointless for people to try to win over atheists because i believe a person has to want to believe before they actually can.
but, that's not to say christian's shouldn't evangelize. spreading the word is good, but i think it's up to the individual to decide for him/herself if they want to believe.

I agree with you dannY LuV 1TYM. No one can force someone into a faith. Faith is found within oneself. Until the individual finds the "narrow gate" by themselves, noone can force them there. We merely plant the seeds and guide.

Old Post 02-15-2003 04:05 PM
requiem
Book Mod/Batman Fan

quote:

I think this is a pretty good explanation of why I will never believe in religion.

Old Post 02-15-2003 09:12 PM
merc

"Religion, Religion, Religion" ...

"Religion" is such a loaded term. It usually just comes out vague and misguiding. No wonder atheists are so against it. I think the better phrase is "Believe in God." Simple as that.

Old Post 02-16-2003 06:38 AM
requiem
Book Mod/Batman Fan

Main Entry: re·li·gion
Pronunciation: ri-'li-j&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English religioun, from Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back -- more at RELY
Date: 13th century
1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith
- re·li·gion·less adjective

Hence my word choice.

Old Post 02-16-2003 05:57 PM
micron
all i need is a miracle

my apologizes. i never got around replying, though i did talk to requiem in person to point out his misinterpretations of the link provided above. but for the forums sake, i will state it here.

quote:
That is not knowledge, that is biased words from a site that seeks to arm people against atheists like myself.
if youre going to look at it poststructurally, let me ask you, what constitutes knowledge? your assertion that it is not [knowledge] is as biased as for me to say that it is. everyones definition of knowledge is different, as youve pointed out inadvertently in your reply. so of whose standard will you base your definition by? websters, wont you? i find it amusing that you readily and unquestioningly put your belief and faith in one thing (websters in this case) but fail to do the same for another of the same.

quote:
For example: "Study the circuitry of a computer or a bolt and nut whose threads matched perfectly. Do you believe that these objects were formed by chance? Why not? Who designed the living cell, a bee’s eye or the human brain with far greater complexity and synchronization? God did."

The circuitry of a computer was made by man. Nuts and bolts too. I THINK what this statement (or set of statements, as it were) is trying to say is that those things which were created by man are owed to God because he is the reason our brains are as they are today. How is this knowledge? This is OPINION. You claim this site is not made to argue against Darwinism, and yet this statement borders on just that. "Who" designed the living cell? Who implies a person, and the last sentence says "God". Now, if something tells us that God created the cell, eye or brain, some might consider that creationism. Creationism is Darwinism's largest opponent.

i pointed this out to you privately but youve got it all wrong buddy. the article attempts to put everything into perspective, so that people can relate to and see how unreasonable it is to believe that everything happened by chance. when you "study the circuitry of a computer" and when you "view a beautiful painting" you dont assume that they appeared by chance. *wah-bam! look, the painting! wah-plus-millions-of-years-bam! and now the computer!* no, it would go against your very common sense to beleive it so and infact, youll assume the very opposite, assume so confidently youll know that these things were created by someone. you would know without question, even without having seen any proofs, its creator, or the process of its creation. how then can you tell me with a straight face that there isnt a Creator of this universe, which is undoubtfully a whole lot more complex than a simple painting or computer? a simple test of logic and reasoning, is what the article is offering.

quote:
Once again:
"Study primitive to advanced cultures from every tribe, nation or language on earth. Do you find any group of people with no religious beliefs and practices? Why not? Who placed these innate spiritual needs and desires in all people? God did."

This link poses questions and then answers them itself with a "no". Perhaps they might even consider themselves to be wrong? Maybe.

and perhaps you might do the same? had you given the article more thought and time, you would have realized what it was conveying. its as if you were determined to find faults from the beginning, hence your totally wrong conception.

quote:
Listen, I'm not here to bash anyone who believes in God. People do what they will and that's alright and certainly one of the greatest gifts man possesses. However, I will not have someone tell me something is in the "pursuit of knowledge" when it is factless and opinionated. Show me one fact in that entire page.
youre being unreasonable here. what you consider your "facts" are factless and opinionated to me as well, as i am a creationist and you an atheist. in these types of discussions, it is important to understand, agree, and respect that there are fundamental differences in ideas between the two, and an argument about the very basis of "facts" would go no where. keep in mind that if your "facts" made as much sense to me for me to even consider them as "facts", i would be an atheist. and likewise for you.

quote:
Also, if you should get around to it, explain to me how this site claims "God may exist through evolution."
its a very common misconception atheists have that creationists cannot believe in evolution. thats incorrect. some do, and believe that a Creator started the process, infused the first life, and guided the process of evolution.

quote:
"Do you find any error in its spiritual, practical, historical, scientific or prophetical truths, or any lack in its ability to speak truth to all cultures, ages and types of people? Why not?"

Notice the implied answer of "no". Anyone who answers "no" to that statement, especially the "scientific" aspect of it clearly accepts God already. The claims on this page are only "logical" if your mind is already bent towards believing in God in the first place.

its not, unless youre going to tell me that when you see a painting, questions about its origin and its process and duration of evolution crosses your mind before you wonder about the painters name.

quote:
I am eager to see your (or anyone's) reply.
likewise.

quote:
By the way, next time you call something I write "jibberish" (or gibberish, as Webster would write), please consider what gibberish means. If you don't agree, just say so. Don't call my words unintelligible. I know you are capable of reading.
and maybe if you would not so arrogantly assume things. quoting: "I'm surprised people who believe in God require websites that have to remind them." thats rediculous, you wouldnt read to remind you of your "faith". likewise for us. we dont beleive in God because we are mentally inferior, as you imply. i think its important that you understand that.

quote:
Edit: And to think, I tried to restrain myself from saying anything atheistic in this forum. "The best laid plans of mice and men..." it seems...
no go ahead. its a free forum.

Old Post 03-06-2003 03:41 AM