Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Spiritual Life > Acts 8:37?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yOOnsk

Question Acts 8:37?

I was reading through Acts and noticed that verse 37 of chapter 8 was missing. It went directly from verse 36 and on to verse 38. This was the New International Version(NIV). I checked on a King James Version bible and noticed that verse 37 was intact. Does anyone know why this verse would be removed from the NIV?

[ Proverbs 18:24 ]

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-16-2003 01:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for yOOnsk Click here to Send yOOnsk a Private Message Find more posts by yOOnsk Add yOOnsk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KeN VeRsUs RyU
the old guy.

woah thats interesting.. check another niv .. see if they're missing it too.

xanga.com/an1_mixtape

Old Post 03-16-2003 01:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KeN VeRsUs RyU Click here to Send KeN VeRsUs RyU a Private Message Find more posts by KeN VeRsUs RyU Add KeN VeRsUs RyU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yOOnsk

yup.. i just checked another NIV and it's missing verse 37 too

Old Post 03-16-2003 02:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for yOOnsk Click here to Send yOOnsk a Private Message Find more posts by yOOnsk Add yOOnsk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM
. : c r y : .

whoa, my Bible is missing that verse too!! when i searched online, the NIV version didn't hav that verse, but other versions did. i don't know what the other versions are...i didn't know there were so many versions of the Bible o.0

Old Post 03-16-2003 05:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Street RSX

quote:
Originally posted by daNNy LuV 1TYM
whoa, my Bible is missing that verse too!! when i searched online, the NIV version didn't hav that verse, but other versions did. i don't know what the other versions are...i didn't know there were so many versions of the Bible o.0
there are mani different versions of the bible.. each one interpretted differentli. most churches use NIV these days, but a new one came out couple years ago.. its suposed to be alot easier to understand, and worded for modern english.. dunt kno wuht it was called tho..
but yea... taht is weirdd.. cant seem to find it in my NIV too..

Old Post 03-16-2003 05:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Street RSX Click here to Send Street RSX a Private Message Find more posts by Street RSX Add Street RSX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
requiem
Book Mod/Batman Fan

http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible?ve...passage=Ac+8:37

When I looked on that site at the NIV it was missing. Maybe they just took it out - they being whoever.

Old Post 03-16-2003 03:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for requiem Click here to Send requiem a Private Message Find more posts by requiem Add requiem to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yOOnsk

These verses are also completely removed from the NIV:

Matthew 17:21
"Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting."

Matthew 18:11
"For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost."

Matthew 23:14
"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation."

Mark 7:16
"If any man have ears to hear, let him hear."

Mark 9:44
"Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched."

Mark 9:46
"Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched."

Mark 11:26
"But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses."

Mark 15:28
"And the scripture was fulfilled, which saith, And he was numbered with the transgressors."

Luke 17:36
"Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left."

Luke 23:17
"(For of necessity he must release one unto them at the feast.)"

John 5:4
"For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had."

Acts 15:34
"Notwithstanding it pleased Silas to abide there still."

Acts 24:7
"But the chief captain Lysias came upon us, and with great violence took him away out of our hands,"

Acts 28:29
"And when he had said these words, the Jews departed, and had great reasoning among themselves."

Romans 16:24
"The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen."

go here for more info.

They must've had some reason to remove all these verses.. A lot of them seem important.. hmm.. maybe it's time I go pick up a King James Version.

edit: I read on the site that these same exact verses are also removed from the Jehova Witness "bible". Also, the JW bible came before the NIV. Strange how they would both be missing the same verses..

Last edited by yOOnsk on 03-17-2003 at 12:18 AM

Old Post 03-16-2003 11:42 PM
daNNy LuV 1TYM

very interesting...i wonder why they would remove all of those verses?

Old Post 03-17-2003 05:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yOOnsk

KJB vs NIV

I just read a great article about whether or not the NIV is truly the word of God. I'll summarize some of the key points and contradictions.

Many people claim that the KJB and the NIV are one and the same, except that the NIV is simply easier to understand. This is not true as shown by the verse Isaiah 9:3.

In KJB it says
"Thou hast multiplied the nation, and not increased the joy..."

In NIV it says
"You have enlarged the nation and increased their joy"

The main difference here is that the KJB has the word "not" and the NIV doesnt. The KJB says that God has not increased their joy, while the NIV says that God has increased their joy. How can it be that two bibles that people claim are the same can say the exact opposite? If one is right, then the other is obviously wrong. Two bibles cannot disagree with each other and BOTH be the Word of God. God wrote only one bible.

Another error of the NIV. We all know that David killed Goliath, right? In the NIV in 2 Samuel 21:19 it says "..Elhanan son of Jaare-Oregim the Bethlehemite killed Goliath..." In the KJB it correctly says that Elhanan killed Goliath's BROTHER, not Goliath himself.

The most frightening change shown on this site is about Isaiah 14:12.
The KJB says:
"How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer..."

In the NIV it says
"How you have fallen from heaven, O morning star...

There seems to be no trouble with this verse until you read Revelation 22:16 which says
"I Jesus ...am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star."

The NIV says that Jesus Christ(the Morning Star), and not Satan, rebelled against God and was cast out of heaven. That is outright blasphemy.

If you're not convinced that the NIV is with error, there are more errors not listed here that you can read from this site.

Old Post 03-17-2003 11:34 PM
merc

Re: KJB vs NIV

quote:
Originally posted by yOOnsk
I just read a great article about whether or not the NIV is truly the word of God. I'll summarize some of the key points and contradictions.

Many people claim that the KJB and the NIV are one and the same, except that the NIV is simply easier to understand. This is not true as shown by the verse Isaiah 9:3.

In KJB it says

In NIV it says

The main difference here is that the KJB has the word "not" and the NIV doesnt. The KJB says that God has not increased their joy, while the NIV says that God has increased their joy. How can it be that two bibles that people claim are the same can say the exact opposite? If one is right, then the other is obviously wrong. Two bibles cannot disagree with each other and BOTH be the Word of God. God wrote only one bible.

Another error of the NIV. We all know that David killed Goliath, right? In the NIV in 2 Samuel 21:19 it says "..Elhanan son of Jaare-Oregim the Bethlehemite killed Goliath..." In the KJB it correctly says that Elhanan killed Goliath's BROTHER, not Goliath himself.

The KJB says:

In the NIV it says

There seems to be no trouble with this verse until you read Revelation 22:16 which says
"I Jesus ...am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star."

The NIV says that Jesus Christ(the Morning Star), and not Satan, rebelled against God and was cast out of heaven. That is outright blasphemy.

If you're not convinced that the NIV is with error, there are more errors not listed here that you can read from this site.

"Any translation done by men may contain errors, but the KJV and ASV are preferred over the NIV. " -http://www.members.aol.com/getwellcc/article0002.html

speaking of which, can/will man ever perfect language or expression?

"Truth is not determined by how many people believe it."

"All the darkness in the world can not extinguish the light of a single candle."

Last edited by merc on 03-18-2003 at 12:17 AM

Old Post 03-17-2003 11:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for merc Click here to Send merc a Private Message Find more posts by merc Add merc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM

Re: KJB vs NIV

quote:
Originally posted by yOOnsk

In KJB it says

In NIV it says

The KJB says:

In the NIV it says

that is very disturbing. i think it's time for me to get a new Bible or, maybe people just interpret the Bible differently and have different translations? eh :-/

Old Post 03-18-2003 01:31 AM
yOOnsk

Re: Re: KJB vs NIV

quote:
Originally posted by merc
"Any translation done by men may contain errors, but the KJV and ASV are preferred over the NIV. " -http://www.members.aol.com/getwellcc/article0002.html

speaking of which, can/will man ever perfect language or expression?

Yes, I'm sure that all the translations of the original Bible have some errors in them, including both the NIV and KJV. The only infallible texts are the original Hebrew and Greek manuscripts.

Old Post 03-18-2003 01:49 AM
craziistarz
where is the love?

yOonsuCK! u SUCKKK!! U MAKE ME THINK TOO DAMN MUCH...aiiishh~~~ erF. time to go think..

Old Post 03-18-2003 09:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for craziistarz Click here to Send craziistarz a Private Message Visit craziistarz's homepage! Find more posts by craziistarz Add craziistarz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guardian9e1027

sorry... but have you guys tried reading the footnotes? most of the "missing" verses (or all) should be there

Old Post 03-20-2003 02:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for guardian9e1027 Click here to Send guardian9e1027 a Private Message Find more posts by guardian9e1027 Add guardian9e1027 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MiGhTy KiTTy
*MeOW* ^^

=\ *sigh i have both versions of the bible..and its true..arg. >;[ im so disappointed. which am i suppose to believe? =\ i will go to my peer pastor and ask this tomalo..T.T

Propz to Sam. yayy~ haha

-----------------------
my xanga that i finally put up~
*MeOw MeOW*

Old Post 03-23-2003 07:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MiGhTy KiTTy Click here to Send MiGhTy KiTTy a Private Message Find more posts by MiGhTy KiTTy Add MiGhTy KiTTy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guardian9e1027

you guys make you really wanna pray n' fast for you guys. I have a KJV. It IS in the KJV. It says "And Phil'-ip said, If thou believes with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Je'-sus Christ is the Son of God." If that website is still confusing with the NIV version, click Acts 8:36 with 37 here!. Copy n' paste n' go to the site. Look below, and what do you see? A FOOTNOTE! Puhleeze guys... why don't you just read the Bible and look at everything, not just the middle of the page... If some Bibles are missing it, and you're so disgruntled by it, why not just go out and BUY a Bible with the verses in it. Would that make things feel better?

Old Post 03-26-2003 01:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for guardian9e1027 Click here to Send guardian9e1027 a Private Message Find more posts by guardian9e1027 Add guardian9e1027 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yOOnsk

quote:
Originally posted by guardian9e1027
you guys make you really wanna pray n' fast for you guys. I have a KJV. It IS in the KJV. It says "And Phil'-ip said, If thou believes with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Je'-sus Christ is the Son of God." If that website is still confusing with the NIV version, click Acts 8:36 with 37 here!. Copy n' paste n' go to the site. Look below, and what do you see? A FOOTNOTE!
i'm sorry.. but did u read the whole post? the missing verses were't the real problems i noticed with the NIV. The real problems are within the verses that are in both bibles. Yeah i know that SOME NIV's have these verses in the footnotes but the majority of them don't. All bibles have errors in them, including the KJV, i just posted this to bring the errors of the NIV into the light. I'm in no way trying to force people to go out and buy KJVs instead of NIVs. reading the NIV or KJV is simply a matter of personal opinion.
quote:
Puhleeze guys... why don't you just read the Bible and look at everything, not just the middle of the page... If some Bibles are missing it, and you're so disgruntled by it, why not just go out and BUY a Bible with the verses in it. Would that make things feel better?
The problem is that God created the Bible not just to be read but also to be studied completely. Every sentence, every single word is significant.

Last edited by yOOnsk on 03-26-2003 at 09:48 PM

Old Post 03-26-2003 03:20 AM