Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Interests > Cars > Auto Driving Techniques.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sangxjin

Auto Driving Techniques.

for those guys out there who drive auto, i was wondering if you guys heard of Torque Break and Neutral Drops. I think i get the concept but i dont fully understand. can you car tech. guys fill me in. well i do know sorta that a neutral drop is like when you have your auto in neutral and rev up then "drop" it into Drive or something. And Brake Torque is when you press the brake and gas at the same time while in gear and rev it w/ your auto and then release brake when its time to go so you sorta get more torque. But could someone explain the concept fully to me? and could some one explain the concept of feathering/slipping and dumping the clutch.

Props To Huby

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-10-2002 04:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sangxjin Click here to Send sangxjin a Private Message Visit sangxjin's homepage! Find more posts by sangxjin Add sangxjin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prototype

LOL neutral drops are so bad for everything.

sang, think about it like trying to do a burnout.

In a manual, you'd just press in the clutch, rev to about 4-5k and drop it.

In an automatic, you have no clutch.

So to do what in a manual is called 'Dropping the Clutch'... you have to neutral drop.

I've never done it, because well.. its not good.

Imagine being in a manual, putting it in neutral.. rev'ing to like 5k, and trying to shove it in gear without using the clutch.

not the same thing at all, but the its the idea.

as for brake torque, i've never heard it been called that.. but if you're dragging, its about the same thing as dropping the clutch to get a quicker start.

the problem with new automatics, is that they will have a rev limiter.. a bit above where it shifts. (probably about 5k) which means that you cant get a big enough drop to break the tires loose and burn out. It does mean that you'll get a quicker start though.

In a manual car, when you drag, you're supposed to prime the gears. pull the brake, and gas it enough to inch forward a little.

inside the tranny, the gears will come together enough that when you drop the clutch at 5k.. the gears wont jam together all at once and fuck up your tranny.

I hope that made sense, it might not have since I was just typing and not really thinking.

Old Post 07-10-2002 02:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Prototype Click here to Send Prototype a Private Message Visit Prototype's homepage! Find more posts by Prototype Add Prototype to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sangxjin

thanks, yeah i get the concept. yeah i heard neutral drops were pretty bad for the engine and tranny. dont they like boil your engine fluids and shit gets stuck to valves? in other words it fuks up ur engine pretty bad rite?

Props To Huby

Old Post 07-10-2002 09:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sangxjin Click here to Send sangxjin a Private Message Visit sangxjin's homepage! Find more posts by sangxjin Add sangxjin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KeN VeRsUs RyU
the old guy.

ok here it is.. i agree with proto .. neutral drop on automatic is NOT good.. not good at all..
when driving.. the feel of torque braking or whatever its called is almost the equivelant of feathering the clutch on a manny..
and neutral drop is the equivalent of dumping your clutch on a manny

as for my automatic accord brake torquing did NOT have the same affect as dumping my clutch on my GSR

when you brake torque=(press on the brake and gas) the limiter on my accord only lets me rev to 3500.. when i let go of my brakes i get a small tiny teeny weeny eency weency chirp and im off... not very exciting but oh well what do you expect its an auto

when you neutral drop=(rev to your desired rpm and drop to DRIVE) its basically the same effect as dumpnig your clutch.. almost

how to dump and feather

dumping= stomp on clutch.. shift to your 1st gear.. rev like a mofo and let go of your clutch(drop your clutch) very quickly when you see your christmas tree light up green d=D if you are draggin on the strip then sometimes draggers pull on their ebrake after the last stage light is on.. so in essence the engagement of the gear is violently rushed into first gear in a high rev .. definitely not good for your car but people do it..

feathering= stomp on clutch.. shift to your 1st gear.. (if your in a drag strip) clear all the stage lights and pull on the e brake.. rev to your desired revs.. (ideally lower than when you dump it) instead of releasing your clutch when it turns green .. release your clutch to the point of engaging your 1st gear.. when lights are half a seconf from green release ebrake.. release your clutch and drive away happy
(some people do this on a crazy incline hill.. so they wont roll in reverse and hit the guy behind them) so in essence your not forcing your car into gear but then the engagement is smooth.. but the holeshot might go to your friend in the next lane because he decides to dump his clutch.. oh well..

there are benefits for both and racers swear by both.. i like to feather .. cuz tires are expensive as fawk

xanga.com/an1_mixtape

Old Post 07-10-2002 10:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for KeN VeRsUs RyU Click here to Send KeN VeRsUs RyU a Private Message Find more posts by KeN VeRsUs RyU Add KeN VeRsUs RyU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sangxjin

alrite thanks.. i understand it now.

Props To Huby

Old Post 07-10-2002 11:31 PM
volcom strider
I'm going to be blind

i'm not a car tech geek like you proto n ken (i wish though), but how about just burnin tires in first? i mean, just leave the clutch in and press the gas; then foot off the clutch and gas all the way down, still in 1st car. just out of curiousity and concern, i'm not fucking am i? -_-;;

Old Post 07-14-2002 07:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for volcom strider Click here to Send volcom strider a Private Message Find more posts by volcom strider Add volcom strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote