Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Enlightenment > Reality is Perception
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

quote:
Originally posted by ¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó
Well, let me give you an example how much reality is perception.

I forget where but some scientists did this test. They told their subjects that they would burn them with a hot coal. So, the scientists touched them with an ice cube. Out of fear and expectation of the "coal" coming' they were left with a burn mark.

Its wierd. The matrix, has a point. What if we are all connected to something that makes our mind dream the same dream, when we die, we wake up.

If a beaker looks cool but it's really hot, a person would still be burned by it.

This reminds me of some guy's theory that severing the legs of a rabbit will remove its desire to run away. He cut off the rabbit's legs, when he went hunting all the other rabbits ran away except the one without legs, so he concluded that cutting off a rabbit's legs will stop it from wanting to run away.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-03-2002 02:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó

damnit no. he doesn't actually TOUCH it. its the fear of BEING touched by something hot that gives the burn mark.

Old Post 12-03-2002 02:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó Click here to Send ¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó a Private Message Find more posts by ¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó Add ¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
requiem
Book Mod/Batman Fan

Burns are the product of touch.

Old Post 12-03-2002 03:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for requiem Click here to Send requiem a Private Message Find more posts by requiem Add requiem to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:
If you get it than it shouldn't seem that far-fetched. It did happen, it wasn't just on one person either. I'm trying to get the tape that my teacher had of it later on this week so I can re-watch it and give the full results of the test.

You all under-estimate the power of the human mind.

HAHAHAH, humans aren't gods!

And, that is why i can understand it and it still seems so far-fetched. It's that simple hahaha . If this was so, we'd be using it to repair our bones and stuff with our mind! This is so ludicrous hahah. It's not as if science hasn't figured out this uber truth hahah, they have, they just figured out it's false and dismissed it. I don't see why if i understand it i have to believe it. That is pretty damn stupid.

We underestimate the power of the human mind? hehe, there is no spoon, right? let's all just stop bullets with our mind, it's that powerful!

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 12-03-2002 03:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

ilsung, I get your point, and I think it's silly too, haha.
If the mind is so powerful, If one is dreaming and is hurt in that dream, why doesn't his/her body feel the feedback from that dream and respond in the fashion that he/she would as if he/she was really hurt in that manner? That's not the greatest example, or counter-example rather, but if one truly believes they are in that scenario, then under your rationale they would be hurt.

or

if one was being held hostage, and was going to be shot in the head and killed, and knew that when they heard that gunshot they'd be dead, does that mean that if a blank is fired they will die when the gun's fired? again, same disclaimer as above.

conduct this "experiment" yourself, or a similar one, and then convey the results to us.

Old Post 12-03-2002 03:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
requiem
Book Mod/Batman Fan

quote:
Originally posted by tm11
If the mind is so powerful, If one is dreaming and is hurt in that dream, why doesn't his/her body feel the feedback from that dream and respond in the fashion that he/she would as if he/she was really hurt in that manner? That's not the greatest example, or counter-example rather, but if one truly believes they are in that scenario, then under your rationale they would be hurt.

or

if one was being held hostage, and was going to be shot in the head and killed, and knew that when they heard that gunshot they'd be dead, does that mean that if a blank is fired they will die when the gun's fired? again, same disclaimer as above.

conduct this "experiment" yourself, or a similar one, and then convey the results to us.

In similar fashion I've been shot repeatedly in my dreams and also dismembered but have woken up in full form.
Again, mind over matter only goes so far.

Old Post 12-03-2002 03:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for requiem Click here to Send requiem a Private Message Find more posts by requiem Add requiem to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó

quote:

or

because most of the time you can tell you are dreaming, if not you probably shook a little when the bullets hit you. plus its a bad example, the gun isn't gonna do anything. its either gonna be shot or not shot. its a matter of fear of hot and cold. you can feel heat, you can feel things that are cold. if you are blindfolded and can't tell, that's different. come on, they didn't actually get touched by it, it was just close to their skin. you know when you can feel something hot or cold by you but can you tell if someone tells you something and then goes the oppisite?

Old Post 12-03-2002 09:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó Click here to Send ¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó a Private Message Find more posts by ¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó Add ¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

i intended to include a blindfold in the example but forgot. So how is it different then? would you die from shock from the fear of getting shot when you hear blank shot?

Old Post 12-03-2002 09:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó

that's completly different. take away the god damn death examples. its not death its a BURN.

Old Post 12-03-2002 09:58 PM
tm11
down by law

so what? under your rationale, the person would die because they expected to.

oh wait, are you trying to say that death is purely physical, and that's the only way it could happen... oh shit... that's like a burn!!!

let's not underestimate the power of the mind now, ilsung.

Old Post 12-03-2002 10:17 PM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:

oh wait, are you trying to say that death is purely physical, and that's the only way it could happen... oh shit... that's like a burn!!!

god damn! you still don't get it...it's a burn! Not death! They are completely different things! Sheesh.

That's how dumb it sounds.

-Cromwell

Old Post 12-03-2002 10:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
¨Õ¨Ø¨ß¨á¨Ú¨Ó

quote:

no, you aren't getting the point. if you put your hand above hot water, you can feel the steam. if you put your hand above cold water, you can feel it being cold. a gun is either shot or it isn't. plus people have died by the shots of the gun, out of fear. they have a heart attack.

Old Post 12-03-2002 10:26 PM
tm11
down by law

quote:

if you put your hand above hot water, you can feel the steam. if you put your hand above cold water, you can feel it being cold. a gun is either shot or it isn't. plus people have died by the shots of the gun, out of fear. they have a heart attack.

ok, so what? that doesn't pertain to your original example of having people touch the cold water and getting burned. They would either touch, or not touch the water and get burned, in your statement.

Dying from a gunshot wound and dying from a heart attack are different things, if the mind is so powerful, any random person blindfolded, that was told they were going to be shot in the head so that they would die, would die the instant they heard the gunshot. Heart attacks are only unique to some people too, so citing that as an example doesn't get you anywhere.

Old Post 12-03-2002 10:32 PM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:

no, you aren't getting the point. if you put your hand above hot water, you can feel the steam. if you put your hand above cold water, you can feel it being cold. a gun is either shot or it isn't. plus people have died by the shots of the gun, out of fear. they have a heart attack.

haha, another example! THANK YOU!

-Cromwell

Old Post 12-03-2002 10:32 PM
requiem
Book Mod/Batman Fan

quote:

ok, so what? that doesn't pertain to your original example of having people touch the cold water and getting burned. They would either touch, or not touch the water and get burned, in your statement.

Dying from a gunshot wound and dying from a heart attack are different things, if the mind is so powerful, any random person blindfolded, that was told they were going to be shot in the head so that they would die, would die the instant they heard the gunshot. Heart attacks are only unique to some people too, so citing that as an example doesn't get you anywhere.

Heart attack != bullet piercing vital organ.

What you said before is that someone, when put in extremely close contact with fire will get a burn. Well since fire WILL heat up the air, and in turn the skin, a burn is possible, but not from fear. It's physical. If it's not close enough, people will not, cannot and have not gotten burns simply from their mind.

And still you cite no hard evidence of this happening in the first place.

And stop with the examples. We get it. Every. Single. Time.

Old Post 12-04-2002 02:53 AM
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

quote:
that's completly different. take away the god damn death examples. its not death its a BURN.

Ok replace death with bullet wound.

If you replaced death with wound, you still wouldn't have a bullet wound from a blank being fired at you.

Old Post 12-04-2002 02:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

quote:
Originally posted by requiem

We get it. Every. Single. Time.

There's no "He" in "We"

Old Post 12-04-2002 03:00 AM
requiem
Book Mod/Batman Fan

quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist

There's no "He" in "We"

True...don't get what you mean though.

Old Post 12-04-2002 03:17 AM
emessen

this cold water hot water thing is something that has been
disproven...

its all relative.... if i were standing outside during winter and then
came inside and touched room temperature water i would
PERCEIVE that it was warm... same as if i were to splash myself
with room temperature water after a long workout... it would
FEEL cold... perception is flawed becuase all your senses can be
deceived...

i pose this question... if reality is what is percieved...

if u dont SENSE or PERCEIVE it... then does it exist?

in other words... becuase you cant feel, see, touch, taste, or hear
the brain inside your skull... does that mean it isnt there?

emessen

Old Post 12-04-2002 05:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for emessen Click here to Send emessen a Private Message Visit emessen's homepage! Find more posts by emessen Add emessen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote