Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Debate > Blacks ..
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TAIgrr
MM caramel FRAP! =P

Blacks ..

i just recently read Gone With the Wind
and a question stirred up.

who is being more unjust?

the yankees wanted the negroes to be FREE
however.. the yankee women HATED the blacks..
the southerners (like scarlett's people..) wanted the negroes to be SLAVES
however.. the southerners (scarlett) treated the blacks like they were part of the family, and were nice to them.

summing up.. who is being more GOOD//FAIR to the black people in your opinion??

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-08-2002 06:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TAIgrr Click here to Send TAIgrr a Private Message Find more posts by TAIgrr Add TAIgrr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TAIgrr
MM caramel FRAP! =P

i think the southerners were treating the blacks better.
cause in the bible, they had slaves
but God said dont treat your fellow servant bad (or something.. i forgot the verse)

well anyway, glad these days we're all equal, heh

Old Post 08-08-2002 06:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TAIgrr Click here to Send TAIgrr a Private Message Find more posts by TAIgrr Add TAIgrr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jini
nan.. yunjiniee da ~

well... if the yankees freed the negros then what? the yankee women would be glaring at them and acting like they were trash.

and the southerners are keeping them slaves.. but treating them like people.

so... hmmmm. this is tough. free and trash or enslaved and person.

i agree~ i think the southerners were being more fair to them.

wherever you go, whatever you do
i will be right here waiting for you
whatever it takes or how my heart breaks
i will be right here waiting for you

Old Post 08-08-2002 06:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jini Click here to Send jini a Private Message Visit jini's homepage! Find more posts by jini Add jini to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TyGer STyLe
no longer a couch jockey

its difficult to make any judgement in this kind of situation. the blacks were oppressed by the southern slavery, but nothing warrents hate to a whole race... in my opinion the southerners did treat them better, but even so no one deserves hate or oppression (=T i think im spellin that word wrong).

Old Post 08-08-2002 09:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TyGer STyLe Click here to Send TyGer STyLe a Private Message Find more posts by TyGer STyLe Add TyGer STyLe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

The southerners really did a good job of treating the african people they freaking enslaved as actaul people... right... good God.
Even if people from the North were prejudiced, I can guarantee any slave you asked would rather be living free than a life of servitude.. Nothing justifies slavery, even if it says treat your servant fairly in the bible, that doesn't justify slavery. They freaking treated Africans as commodities.
"Yes, being treated like a commodity and not like a human being is really ok because master's wife is kind to me, but those yankee women glare at me. I think I'd rather do back-breaking work for the rest of my life, be split apart from my family and loved ones, and be treated like a piece of shit."
Do you honestly think a slave would think like that? Because under your interpretations of what's right or better, that's what a slave's mindset would be.

Jeez... and they weren't even treated like people. You think if they thought being a slave wasn't so bad there would have ever been movements for freedom? Goodness.

Old Post 08-08-2002 05:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
seung ju

southerners were still racist as hell towards the blacks. gone with the wind was just a movie, and only played on stereotypes. the south in gone with the wind was nothing like the one in real life. it showed all whites as rich plantation owners, which was not the case. plantation owners made up a small percentage of southern whites. most southerners didnt have hundreds of slaves (which is a common misconception), most had between 1 and 10, b/c its all they could afford. the only reason they probably treated the slaves better is because they were valuable. if they lost one slave - they lost a lot of money from the work they could have gotten from him/her, and from the money spent on buying their servitude.

and dont forget, in some cases, slaves were allowed to buy back their freedom, but even when they were free they were still treated like trash, and sometimes impressed back into slavery.

Last edited by seung ju on 08-08-2002 at 06:30 PM

Old Post 08-08-2002 06:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for seung ju Click here to Send seung ju a Private Message Find more posts by seung ju Add seung ju to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MC ChOpStiCkz
gone

i think the southernz cuz wutz d point of being free if u dunt get treated liek a human being

Old Post 08-08-2002 09:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MC ChOpStiCkz Click here to Send MC ChOpStiCkz a Private Message Visit MC ChOpStiCkz's homepage! Find more posts by MC ChOpStiCkz Add MC ChOpStiCkz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TAIgrr
MM caramel FRAP! =P

quote:
Originally posted by seung ju
southerners were still racist as hell towards the blacks. gone with the wind was just a movie, and only played on stereotypes. the south in gone with the wind was nothing like the one in real life. it showed all whites as rich plantation owners, which was not the case. plantation owners made up a small percentage of southern whites. most southerners didnt have hundreds of slaves (which is a common misconception), most had between 1 and 10, b/c its all they could afford. the only reason they probably treated the slaves better is because they were valuable. if they lost one slave - they lost a lot of money from the work they could have gotten from him/her, and from the money spent on buying their servitude.

and dont forget, in some cases, slaves were allowed to buy back their freedom, but even when they were free they were still treated like trash, and sometimes impressed back into slavery.

-.-;;
i agree with you too
but i was just asking the question based on GONE WITH THE WIND.

Old Post 08-09-2002 12:48 AM
ajy

black people scare me.

Old Post 08-09-2002 01:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ajy Click here to Send ajy a Private Message Find more posts by ajy Add ajy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TAIgrr
MM caramel FRAP! =P

quote:
Originally posted by AjY 2k
black people scare me.

y.

Old Post 08-09-2002 01:30 AM
MC ChOpStiCkz
gone

quote:
Originally posted by AjY 2k
black people scare me.

-__- i'm black

Old Post 08-09-2002 01:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MC ChOpStiCkz Click here to Send MC ChOpStiCkz a Private Message Visit MC ChOpStiCkz's homepage! Find more posts by MC ChOpStiCkz Add MC ChOpStiCkz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
seung ju

quote:
Originally posted by TAIgrr

-.-;;
i agree with you too

ah ok, well in that case...
yeah, in the movie the southerners were nicer.

Old Post 08-09-2002 05:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for seung ju Click here to Send seung ju a Private Message Find more posts by seung ju Add seung ju to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladi Jay
OG of JSL

quote:
Originally posted by seung ju

I could not have said it any better...

Old Post 08-09-2002 05:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladi Jay Click here to Send Ladi Jay a Private Message Find more posts by Ladi Jay Add Ladi Jay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
keeperofsecrets

i think that southerners started hating blacks because they were free. a symbol that said "the south lost". i also believe that only a few EXTREME cases made the other slave owners look bad. i thought it was wrong that only blacks were slaves. but life AFTER slavery was much worse then what they had before.

i suppose it was wrong for any man to be held against his will. But most of them would have been better off. I'm also against descendents of slaves getting reparations. Were THEY slaves? no.

Old Post 08-10-2002 05:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for keeperofsecrets Click here to Send keeperofsecrets a Private Message Find more posts by keeperofsecrets Add keeperofsecrets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

quote:
Originally posted by RaCeR_LaDi_MoOn

I could not have said it any better...

you're probably right.

quote:
Originally posted by keeperofsecrets

i think that southerners started hating blacks because they were free. a symbol that said "the south lost". i also believe that only a few EXTREME cases made the other slave owners look bad. i thought it was wrong that only blacks were slaves. but life AFTER slavery was much worse then what they had before.

i suppose it was wrong for any man to be held against his will. But most of them would have been better off. I'm also against descendents of slaves getting reparations. Were THEY slaves? no.

Where did you hear this? at the last klan meeting you attended?

Last edited by tm11 on 08-10-2002 at 06:04 AM

Old Post 08-10-2002 06:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
seung ju

quote:
Originally posted by tm11
Where did you hear this? at the last klan meeting you attended?

hahahhaha, damn dude, chill.

but anyway, i do agree about being against reparations for blacks. thats ridiculous. but...

keeper -- i disagree with your view on the south, you candy coated the image. take some college history classes and you'll know how it was. though the worst part of the slave experience was definitly the middle passage (voyage between africa and america), you're making it look like the southerners were good guys. them calling slavery a "necessary evil" is the most idiotic thing i've ever heard. thats like saying we need child molestors to keep a natural balance between adults and preteens having sex.

Old Post 08-11-2002 02:40 AM
keeperofsecrets

quote:
[i]

Where did you hear this? at the last klan meeting you attended? [/B]

puahahha. lolz.
wellz, i meant short term wise.

Old Post 08-11-2002 06:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for keeperofsecrets Click here to Send keeperofsecrets a Private Message Find more posts by keeperofsecrets Add keeperofsecrets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

As seung ju said, take some classes on American history or African American history.

quote:

Even if you were speaking within the context of the novel, it is impossible and ignorant to just simply set aside to historical context in which the novel takes place

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 08-13-2002 03:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tea
Official Pothead

most africans didnt even make it mast the middle passage. they either killed themselves or they died from where they were kept. they were all chained up...when they pissed, they pissed there, when they ddonged, they did it there. the living condition was so bad they mostly mostly died from the diseases.

Old Post 08-13-2002 03:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tea Click here to Send tea a Private Message Find more posts by tea Add tea to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
seung ju

quote:
Originally posted by tea
most africans didnt even make it mast the middle passage. they either killed themselves or they died from where they were kept. they were all chained up...when they pissed, they pissed there, when they ddonged, they did it there. the living condition was so bad they mostly mostly died from the diseases.

dont forget that some of them were stacked on top of eachother, so when the pissed, it would trickle down to the people under them.

Old Post 08-13-2002 06:11 AM