Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Education > School Life > SAT prep classes
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
daNNy LuV 1TYM
. : c r y : .

SAT prep classes

i'm goin to be takin SAT I verbal prep at this school thing cuz i'm plannin on takin the SAT's in october or november. ugh i hate these tests a lot of my friends are takin classes from princeton review. any of you gonna be takin sat classes?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-02-2003 11:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

Personally, I would encourage people who need help to get a tutor rather than joining a class for the simple factor of individual attention as opposed to sessions wherein the teacher is required to address the needs of the group as a whole.

buy the "10 real sat's" published by the College Board. There are enough practice exams in there to improve your score dramatically.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 07-03-2003 12:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JuJu
shaKe :: sHake

Re: SAT prep classes

quote:
Originally posted by daNNy LuV 1TYM
i'm goin to be takin SAT I verbal prep at this school thing cuz i'm plannin on takin the SAT's in october or november. ugh i hate these tests a lot of my friends are takin classes from princeton review. any of you gonna be takin sat classes?

hey!! im taking that class too

Old Post 07-03-2003 04:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JuJu Click here to Send JuJu a Private Message Find more posts by JuJu Add JuJu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter
buy the "10 real sat's" published by the College Board. There are enough practice exams in there to improve your score dramatically.

i heard about that book, but does it really do any good? i mean, the fat princeton review or barron's books come with practice tests already. are they the same, or do the ones in the "10 real sat's" actually help more?

Old Post 07-08-2003 08:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
keyx1o6

I just got it cuz it was half price at my hakwon... I'm not sure if it helped or not, cuz I didn't do as well as I'd hoped anyway.

The hype is that it's the best you can get though.

Old Post 07-09-2003 06:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for keyx1o6 Click here to Send keyx1o6 a Private Message Visit keyx1o6's homepage! Find more posts by keyx1o6 Add keyx1o6 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
i heard about that book, but does it really do any good? i mean, the fat princeton review or barron's books come with practice tests already. are they the same, or do the ones in the "10 real sat's" actually help more?

the tests on the 10 real sat's are selected from past years by the very creators of the SAT each year, tailored to provide an accurate representation of what one would see when the exam day comes around.
The Princeton review and Barron's does a mediocre job in emulating the tests, but oftentimes their writers, because of the lack of problems, have to make up some questions that end up throwing off the accuracy of their practice exam.
I would stick with the 10 Real SATs because the book gives you the "real deal" and the autheniticity of its content should be incentive enough to select it over other books, which resort to assuming what kind of questions are on the tests.

Besides I don't like some of the tips they give on testing. For example, the Princeton Review (somewhere as i recall) urges the test taker to not read the reading comprehension passage and answer the questions directly from the line citations- a method that may work for a small percentage of test takers, but something that most people cannot handle.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 07-09-2003 07:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy

A lot of kids around here take prep classes to socialize, which i find to be...so sad

um anyway, ditto to what crazydeb8ter said

Old Post 07-11-2003 07:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy Click here to Send sleepy a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy Add sleepy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tranquility

quote:

10 real sat's is a good book to practice the actualy SATs in. barrons' practice tests are too hard and don't reflect what the actual test is on. princeton review teaches u tactics and methods u need to kno on the SATs. hope that clarified things for u.

Old Post 07-11-2003 07:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tranquility Click here to Send tranquility a Private Message Find more posts by tranquility Add tranquility to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM

ughhhh...i am so sick of all these TESTS! thanks for the advice crazydeb8ter and tranquility - i'll prolly go buy that book now and suffer through them.

i'm taking SAT I in oct or nov to get it over with as soon as possible. i'm thinkin bout takin SAT II math IIC in may or june, cuz i hav precal this year, but i don't know when i should take the writing SAT II. do any of you recommend a good time?

Old Post 07-16-2003 04:01 AM
nas

I'm up doing homework right now
I think the classes work for me though.. and that 10 reals book.. I take Princeton Review too..and they provided me with that book...

There's only 9 other students in my class, we get a lot done and the two teachers for math and verbal are there at anytime to offer us one on one tutoring. It's good I guess..

I know you better than you think I do-don't
worry dear, this is why I fell in love with you.
The man in the looking glass, is looking back
at you at last. You can't hide from the truth
because the truth is all there is.
And the truth hurts because the truth is all there is.
I realized some time ago, that I would have to let you go...
- Handsome Boy Modeling School
*d-30

Old Post 07-16-2003 04:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for nas Click here to Send nas a Private Message Visit nas's homepage! Find more posts by nas Add nas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tranquility

for SAT II writing, taking that senior year would be good since ur writing skills would probably be the strongest then. by the end of junior year, most likely u'd be tired of SATs and AP tests, so ur score wouldn't reflect ur full potential.

Old Post 07-23-2003 08:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tranquility Click here to Send tranquility a Private Message Find more posts by tranquility Add tranquility to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
ughhhh...i am so sick of all these TESTS! thanks for the advice crazydeb8ter and tranquility - i'll prolly go buy that book now and suffer through them.

i'm taking SAT I in oct or nov to get it over with as soon as possible. i'm thinkin bout takin SAT II math IIC in may or june, cuz i hav precal this year, but i don't know when i should take the writing SAT II. do any of you recommend a good time?

writing is pretty easy. I took it junior year and did well.
Math IIc is difficult, IMO. Be sure to get review books to supplement your school work.

King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 07-23-2003 09:33 PM
kiggaplease

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy
A lot of kids around here take prep classes to socialize, which i find to be...so sad

haha nas... well I'd say that they got more out of it than the people who came there to learn. in my opinion, the sat prep classes feed you with all these useless strategies, and are geared to people who panic like crazy. of course, that's over-generalizing them, but still, I believe that you can get more done by studying individually through prep books.

then again, i did none of the above, so do whatever you want

Old Post 07-24-2003 10:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kiggaplease Click here to Send kiggaplease a Private Message Find more posts by kiggaplease Add kiggaplease to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM

quote:
Originally posted by bckp
in my opinion, the sat prep classes feed you with all these useless strategies, and are geared to people who panic like crazy. of course, that's over-generalizing them, but still, I believe that you can get more done by studying individually through prep books.

then again, i did none of the above, so do whatever you want

haha i thot so too at first and was really skeptical about SAT classes, since i took the SAT II bio on my own and was qutie satisfied with my score. but this SAT I verbal has improved my score 90 points!! (scaled; about 20 raw).

Old Post 07-25-2003 08:55 AM
iLLmaTiC_aNgeL
-huney B-

i've heard from a lot of people (and judging from my own experince) those SAT classes dont help that much (altho Princeton Review seems to be better than Kaplan) unless you're trying to go from a 3-digit to a 4-digit score..other than that i think you should just save ur money and time by taking practice tests on ur own..the books are usually $15 and up..and if u can, take advantage of free or cheap SAT prep courses (some schools offer them)..i hated those SAT prep courses..i took sooo many over the course of 2 summers and one winter..it bored me to death and i think made me dumber lol..when i went into Kaplan the first day to take the test, my score was 80 points higher than what i scored on my PSAT and only 20 points lower than my SAT..or maybe that's just stupid me..

JOCKERZ UNWANTED!

Old Post 07-30-2003 03:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for iLLmaTiC_aNgeL Click here to Send iLLmaTiC_aNgeL a Private Message Find more posts by iLLmaTiC_aNgeL Add iLLmaTiC_aNgeL to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote