Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > General > Random Thoughts > What's this theory called?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

What's this theory called?

There was a class offered at Stony Brook University in which the theory it was teaching had to do with Kinship-Independent cooperation being linked with evolution. What's this thing called?

The teacher described on this site.
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/...506859/ABSTRACT

I also just noticed that there's no science section on jsl.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-24-2005 07:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

kinship-independent, just to make sure, that means that cooperation with others that are not kin?

if not, kin selection? or if so, then hmmm, i recall a collection of birds in south africa that all colonize together, all live in the same nest in order to maximize all its participants' fitness. That sort of living situation you are talking about? Since hamilton did work on kin selection, maybe you would look up anti-hamiltion selection/fitness to find out what it might be.

As far as it being linked with evolution, most things are linked with evolution.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 08-24-2005 08:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

Basically the theory restricts actual cooperation between non relatives to humans only. It's stance is that humans are the only ones that do it and animals only help genetic relatives or animals they are dominated by. Or something like that.

It also says that each time a human society has gone to the next stage in social cooperation, there has been an improvement on coercive technology preceding it. And that the ability to kill remotely is generally responsible for equality among men.
i.e.i the agricultural revolution was preceded by the invention or discovery of the bow. Archaic state (Romans, Feudal Japan, Aztecs etc.) was preceded by elite body armor and shock weaponry (which nullified the effect of the ability to kill remotely).

Old Post 08-24-2005 05:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote