Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Entertainment > Music > Are They Live or Lip-Synching?
Are They Live or Lip-Synching?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Live 1 16.67%
Lip-Synching 5 83.33%
Total: 6 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
OneHeart
Loveable, What Else?

Are They Live or Lip-Synching?

I was watching some of the "on stage performance" videos that I've downloaded and kept noticing that the artists doesn't seem to be really singing but are lip-synching instead. How can one tell? I don't know about you, but while hopping around, dancing, etc., one would expect them to breathe a bit heavier in their performance. Obviously, they are breathing just fine--as if they're just sitting still and not sort of out of breathe. Unless they are able to hide their breathing soooo well, I just find that a bit unrealistic. Are they really that good at hiding their breathing? Plus, their voices shows no sign either--as if they were singing in a recording room sitting comfortably.

Perhaps it's just me, but is it live? Or is it lip-synching?

(P.S. I hope I did the poll thing correct.) :)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-05-2002 06:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for OneHeart Find more posts by OneHeart Add OneHeart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TAIgrr
MM caramel FRAP! =P

you mean korean music videos??

some singers do live some lip sync.

i could tell apart cause when theyre lip syncing, sometimes their mouth is moving off beat with the recorded voice.

and live.. i could tell cause.. i just could

so i didnt vote. cause singers do both
sometimes they do live sometimes they lipsync.

Old Post 12-05-2002 06:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TAIgrr Click here to Send TAIgrr a Private Message Find more posts by TAIgrr Add TAIgrr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OneHeart
Loveable, What Else?

Oops! Yes, Korean videos. =)

Ahhh, I see. But why lip-synch? Perhaps it's just me, but that doesn't seem professional at all.

Old Post 12-05-2002 07:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for OneHeart Find more posts by OneHeart Add OneHeart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
seung ju

quote:
Originally posted by OneHeart
Ahhh, I see. But why lip-synch?

to cover up the fact that they cant sing

thanx huby40

Old Post 12-05-2002 07:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for seung ju Click here to Send seung ju a Private Message Find more posts by seung ju Add seung ju to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TAIgrr
MM caramel FRAP! =P

quote:
Originally posted by seung ju
to cover up the fact that they cant sing

or for the dance songs
they might be moving around too much and so their singing will be jacked cause all the breathing and stuff and stuff

Old Post 12-05-2002 11:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TAIgrr Click here to Send TAIgrr a Private Message Find more posts by TAIgrr Add TAIgrr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
seung ju

quote:
Originally posted by TAIgrr

or for the dance songs
they might be moving around too much and so their singing will be jacked cause all the breathing and stuff and stuff

then they should work on their breathing techniques or simplify the dances. lip synching is a sign of no talent, and blaming it on the dances is an easy excuse.

thanx huby40

Old Post 12-05-2002 11:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for seung ju Click here to Send seung ju a Private Message Find more posts by seung ju Add seung ju to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
niggoreanboi
WHAT THE FUZZZ?!?!?!

they shouldn't do it when they sing slow jams they should do it live sum artist arn't talented enough though n sum need to lipS.
cuz they can't sing for shyt it's all computer editeed

Old Post 12-06-2002 04:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for niggoreanboi Click here to Send niggoreanboi a Private Message Find more posts by niggoreanboi Add niggoreanboi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OneHeart
Loveable, What Else?

quote:

then they should work on their breathing techniques or simplify the dances. lip synching is a sign of no talent, and blaming it on the dances is an easy excuse.

Though I wouldn't go that far in saying that they don't have talents, I just think it's un-professional to lip-synch...especially when you're in the business of making music.

So what...it boils down to "appearance/looks" on stage rather than truly singing? :sad:

Old Post 12-06-2002 04:13 AM
seung ju

quote:

Though I wouldn't go that far in saying that they don't have talents,

maybe i should have been clearer and said no talent in singing. but if they have to lip synch, they have something to hide.

quote:

So what...it boils down to "appearance/looks" on stage rather than truly singing?

yep, thats the way the music industry is nowadays. if you can sell an image, thats all that matters. even in america, thats the way it is. look at rappers like nelly or singers like britney spears -- no talent but they have an image, so it sells.

thanx huby40

Old Post 12-06-2002 04:18 AM
OneHeart
Loveable, What Else?

Seung Ju:

Good points. But I guess we can't really place the burden (if any) on them alone. After all, it's the consumers who keep buying the albums, CDs, etc. Perhaps the bottom line is that we, as consumers, have bad tastes (we, buying CDs based on the "image" presented to us)? Oh goodness...I hope not.

Old Post 12-06-2002 05:11 AM
daNNy LuV 1TYM
. : c r y : .

from wut i've seen, most krn celebs lip synch for stage performances. very few actualli sing live and wen they do they're usualli just standin there or not movin around much. this is bcuz 1) the young society seems to think that all singers shud be good dancers as well so entertainment companies spew out groups who may be very talented dancers but not very talented singers and 2) pplz hu mite be able to sing can't do so wen they're dancing. i find that weird cuz a singer is supposed to sing a dancer is so supposed to dance; these are 2 very diff occupations and one duz not equal the other. newhoo, alotta pop groups (shinhwa, ses, boa, blackbeat, milk, etc; woah all smers) usualli dun sing live cuz they're dancing and their fans like to see them dance

Old Post 12-06-2002 05:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
seung ju

quote:
Perhaps the bottom line is that we, as consumers, have bad tastes (we, buying CDs based on the "image" presented to us)? Oh goodness...I hope not.

haha, yea, very true. i agree that in the end if ppl keep buyin albums from these artists that it'll just keep goin n goin cuz it fattens up the record companies pockets. but i dont support those artists, so i hope my taste isnt bad

thanx huby40

Old Post 12-06-2002 05:49 AM
junjinluber33

if you've heard the original song of the artist, then you should know the difference when you hear a performance. When they perform and it sounds EXACTLY like the track, no heavy breathing, etc~ then it's prolly lip syncin. for some concerts, wut singers do is record the songs they plan to perform over again. So for concerts, you never know~ they could ACTUALLY be singing... or they could be lip syncing to a newly recorded song so it wont sound lip synced~ pretty smart... eh? this college dood i knew is in the spotlight bus thing~ so whenever singers come over from korea n have a concert here in cali (orange county n la area) he lights for the singers n knows the inside scoop! cool eh?

click^ leave a msg in my chatter box!

team3 biotch! its da group blog

Old Post 12-06-2002 06:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for junjinluber33 Click here to Send junjinluber33 a Private Message Visit junjinluber33's homepage! Find more posts by junjinluber33 Add junjinluber33 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
seung ju

quote:
Originally posted by junjinluber33
for some concerts, wut singers do is record the songs they plan to perform over again. So for concerts, you never know~ they could ACTUALLY be singing... or they could be lip syncing to a newly recorded song so it wont sound lip synced~ pretty smart... eh?

yea i noticed that once, i thought they were really singin until someone goofed up and didnt move his mouth and his voice was still going in the background, lol

thanx huby40

Old Post 12-06-2002 07:00 AM
OneHeart
Loveable, What Else?

quote:
Originally posted by junjinluber33
for some concerts, wut singers do is record the songs they plan to perform over again. So for concerts, you never know~ they could ACTUALLY be singing... or they could be lip syncing to a newly recorded song so it wont sound lip synced~ pretty smart... eh?

(Not to flame anyone but just continuing on the discussion...)

The key word I noticed there is "could" (they could ACTUALLY be singing). Professionals shouldn't have to undergo this "could" being singing live scenario. They should just sing it live. Personally, I have a little more respect for someone who sings it live and may not sound as good as if on a CD than someone who lip-synchs.

As for using that option to be "pretty smart"...again, I personally don't think that's smart. It will appear to be smart to the people who have been fooled. But to others, I wouldn't call that being smart.

Seung Ju: your tastes aren't so bad. Hahaha. =)

Old Post 12-06-2002 10:59 PM
rOnin warriOr

mmm... i notice that too ! i've watch some of the " Perfromance " video clips and they sound just like there songs on CD and wen i play the video and the cd at the same tym .. there in same tone ! soo they must be lippin' and plus ... dun u think it would be pretty hard dancing and singin' at the same tym. they prob'ly get all tried and out of breath what not

i also have this one sEs conernt, and they were singing.. didn't sound all that great, but they didn't lip sync hEhEh but they still GOOD !

Old Post 12-08-2002 03:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rOnin warriOr Click here to Send rOnin warriOr a Private Message Visit rOnin warriOr's homepage! Find more posts by rOnin warriOr Add rOnin warriOr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
saranghae

quote:

The key word I noticed there is "could" (they could ACTUALLY be singing). Professionals shouldn't have to undergo this "could" being singing live scenario. They should just sing it live. Personally, I have a little more respect for someone who sings it live and may not sound as good as if on a CD than someone who lip-synchs.

well... lip-syncing allows them to concentrate on their dancing... i mean... imagine how hard it is memorizing the dance steps and lyrics.

Old Post 12-08-2002 04:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for saranghae Click here to Send saranghae a Private Message Find more posts by saranghae Add saranghae to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
seung ju

quote:
Originally posted by saranghae

well... lip-syncing allows them to concentrate on their dancing... i mean... imagine how hard it is memorizing the dance steps and lyrics.

then they're dancers and not singers, and should stick with dancing. the whole purpose of a concert is to hear the people sing live, not to see them jumpin around the stage and wowing us with their dance moves.

thanx huby40

Old Post 12-08-2002 07:25 AM
MellowYellow

agree with seung ju 100%

they're called GASOOS for a reason

what's that dude's name.... damn it.. he sang this song called Heaven.. kim.. something.. well okay i could TELL everytime i saw him preform on a gayo show he was singing live... even if he was off key sometimes (not a lot) he put so much... i don't know if it's passion or wutever... but you could tell he was putting his all into singing.... cuz that's what he is... a singer... a gasoo....

when a singer lipsyncs it's like they're lying to you .... have you ever heard an opera singer lipsyncing? no because they are a SINGERS... have you ever seen (heard) an orchestra fingering along to a recording? no because they are musicians and that's what they should be doing.

so if there is a singer (gasoo), that's what they should be doing.... SINGING.

oh yea and if they're sick and their voice is gone or wutever... they shouldn't be preforming.

Old Post 12-08-2002 07:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MellowYellow Click here to Send MellowYellow a Private Message Find more posts by MellowYellow Add MellowYellow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM
. : c r y : .

quote:
then they're dancers and not singers, and should stick with dancing. the whole purpose of a concert is to hear the people sing live, not to see them jumpin around the stage and wowing us with their dance moves.

quote:
Originally posted by MellowYellow
when a singer lipsyncs it's like they're lying to you .... have you ever heard an opera singer lipsyncing? no because they are a SINGERS... have you ever seen (heard) an orchestra fingering along to a recording? no because they are musicians and that's what they should be doing

agreed

Old Post 12-08-2002 08:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote