Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Debate > Gays, Lesbians, Straights
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:
Originally posted by touch_my_butt
yar...we're all entitled to out opinionz
but in my OPIONION...God made for us to reproduce...and give life.....but for those who are gay or lesbianz...power to ya

and everyone who masteurbates has gone against what god made us to be as well. Wow, we're as "bad" as homosexuals then in that view of god.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-06-2003 03:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roentgen
take nothing for granted

I'm wondering...is masturbation a form of sodomy?
I'm not quite sure what it all entails...er...I don't read the bible, I'm not even christian, and I don't...do that thing...

One of the main reasons that I'm asking is, my sister and her friend David were having a dispute over Dante's inferno and his stance on homosexuality. They were trying to define sodomy and eventually came to an agreement that it simply meant "unnatural sex" or sex without the intent to reproduce...something like that. Does masturbation qualify as "unnatural sex"?

Did I make any sense just now?
It's so hard to articulate what I want to say when I hate typing the "m" word><; It feels so dirty

-first member-

Old Post 01-06-2003 03:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for roentgen Click here to Send roentgen a Private Message Visit roentgen's homepage! Find more posts by roentgen Add roentgen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spuzzter

Yeah, I think that Dante, for all of his greatness, was a bit of an anti-homosexual. So were most theologians of his day, as they are now...

I think that sodomy really only applies to man-man sexual relations. In the biblical account of sodom, men lay with men. So there it is, I suppose... it's been expanded, I think, to include any homosexual sex. God destroyed sodom because there Lot couldn't come up with 100 good people living in the town; whether or not they were 'good' or 'bad' depended on their sexual orientation, I don't know.. but it's generally understood that they were bad by nature because of their 'unnatural' acts.

Of course, Gnostics believed that the God of the Old Testament was very different from the one in the New Testament; the Father doesn't demand sacrifices and weird job-like tests of will and resolve. But whatever...

anyway, I don't think masturbation is labeled as 'sodomy.' I'm not sure why it's 'bad,' I don't know of a bible section that mentions masturbation. If anyone knows, please tell me.

Dante, by the way, was pretty tolerant of people of other religions, as long as they were noble-hearted. Moses and David both go to heaven, and even Saladin, a Muslim and enemy of the crusaders, is placed with Caesar, Virgil, Cicero, and the other 'worthy' pagans. Maybe he's barred admittance from heaven, but at least he's not frying in boiling blood.

Old Post 01-06-2003 06:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Spuzzter Click here to Send Spuzzter a Private Message Find more posts by Spuzzter Add Spuzzter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:
Originally posted by Spuzzter

anyway, I don't think masturbation is labeled as 'sodomy.' I'm not sure why it's 'bad,' I don't know of a bible section that mentions masturbation. If anyone knows, please tell me.

oh i was just commenting on what touch_my_butt said about how he was interpreting it as "god made us to reproduce and any deviance from that is sinful" or whatever he was saying. Hence, masturbation isn't reproducing, so it'd be as bad as homosexuality. I don't think it'd have to be labeled as sodomy in this instance in order to be "bad"

-Cromwell

Last edited by PsychoSnowman on 01-06-2003 at 06:35 AM

Old Post 01-06-2003 06:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spuzzter

Oh yeah, If I'm hit on by a homosexual, I consider it a compliment, just like I would if an attractive girl hit on me.. Yeah

I just don't like it when people tout the fact that they're cool with 'fags' as long as they don't hit on them. What if I come off as gay? I don't want anyone to get totally rebuffed if they made a mistake.

Yeah. I'll get offa my soap-box

Old Post 01-06-2003 06:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Spuzzter Click here to Send Spuzzter a Private Message Find more posts by Spuzzter Add Spuzzter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spuzzter

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman
oh i was just commenting on what touch_my_butt said about how he was interpreting it as "god made us to reproduce and any deviance from that is sinful" or whatever he was saying. Hence, masturbation isn't reproducing, so it'd be as bad as homosexuality. I don't think it'd have to be labeled as sodomy in this instance in order to be "bad"

Right right, but I know a lot of people that think masturbation is a sin. I have an irish catholic grand-uncle that is vehemently against it, as well as a whiney kid that i heard the other day preaching that it was a sin... is it, really?

And if it's so wrong, then why does it feel so right?
(hooho shock value! )

Old Post 01-06-2003 06:38 AM
tm11
down by law

Alex you're silly, anyways, masturbation is viewed as a sin(at least by the catholic church, I don't think it'd be stretch to extend that to other Christians as well, someone correct me if I'm incorrect), I'll find the specific quote in the bible if anyone wants it, My dad has a copy of the catechism of the catholic church in his room and I could find the quotes in the bible there, but he's sleeping and I don't want to disturb him.
As alex said, masturbation isn't a form of sodomy, as seemingly logical as the argument that since it's not for the direct purposes of reproduction it's akin to queerness, under the teachings of the church, that does not hold. I think the definition of sodomy that everyone is using here is skewed from the first place. Moreover, I tend to think there are degrees to sins (that's another theological question right there), and I would argue that masturbation, while a sin, isn't as severe as queerness.

Anyways, like any sin, you can always repent and ask for forgiveness. I suppose that would entail that you stop sinning, (On a sidenote, I wonder if just being queer is viewed as a sin, I'm sure it is, but I wonder whether issues of gender are incorporated into deeming what is and isn't a sin, and whether or not one would have to commit non-heterosexual acts to actually have sinned for that sin, eh, that didn't come out exactly as I wanted to and it's not really a deep thought or anything, but whatever).
In these discussions people tend to get wrapped up in the notion that once you've committed a sin you're condemned, and that isn't true at all, not saying that it's occuring here.

Old Post 01-06-2003 06:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spuzzter

I do in fact want the specific quote, whenever. I've never known.. and to think I have a 'new american' bible in my room. However, I'd rather not go flipping through it.

Old Post 01-06-2003 07:04 AM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

yea! Let's plan our repentance and all go to heaven!

-edit- i'm joking of course.

-Cromwell

Old Post 01-06-2003 08:08 AM
KpSwEeTiE143

in religious terms i guess its wrong but then just because someone likes someone who is their own sex doesnt mean they're bad people we cant judge them thats da lords job

Old Post 01-06-2003 03:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for KpSwEeTiE143 Click here to Send KpSwEeTiE143 a Private Message Visit KpSwEeTiE143's homepage! Find more posts by KpSwEeTiE143 Add KpSwEeTiE143 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roentgen
take nothing for granted

I dunno...I always leave the judging up to Murphy and Darwain=_=;;
Biblical works worry me a little. I mean...It was written by men, and then to add to that, some of the guys were hopped up on shrooms and things like that. And the translation of the bible that people read today has some errors in it.
Like when people say the "virgin" Mary. It isn't because she was necessarily a virgin. In the original text, she was simply the "young" Mary. But for the specific word used, I guess the closest translation was "virgin"
If you want a better explanation than the terrible one I've provided, seek out a person of the Jewish faith that happens to be an intellectual/international baccalaureate student. That's where I got my information from...though I don't remember everything he said very well.

-first member-

Old Post 01-06-2003 04:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for roentgen Click here to Send roentgen a Private Message Visit roentgen's homepage! Find more posts by roentgen Add roentgen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KpSwEeTiE143

haha well im really not that religious i believe in god n try to be a good person n thats about it hehe it was just my opinion that yeah anyways =b

Old Post 01-06-2003 04:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for KpSwEeTiE143 Click here to Send KpSwEeTiE143 a Private Message Visit KpSwEeTiE143's homepage! Find more posts by KpSwEeTiE143 Add KpSwEeTiE143 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

quote:
I do in fact want the specific quote, whenever. I've never known.. and to think I have a 'new american' bible in my room. However, I'd rather not go flipping through it.

There is no exact quote referring to masturbation, but the church's teaching is that "deliberate use of the sexual facility for whatever reason, outside of marriage, is essentially contrary to its purpose." I guess it's considered an offense against chastity, and the best quote on that is Gal: 3: 27.

quote:
Originally posted by Psychosnowman
yea! Let's plan our repentance and all go to heaven!

-edit- i'm joking of course.

First , stating that I understand you're only jesting and that no offense has been taken, I don't understand why you feel the need to make jokes at the expense other people's beliefs when your beliefs were never questioned in the first place (No harm has been done, I doubt, to anyone, but I still don't see how it's justified in making such a statement). In the debate occuring in this thread, there was a theological question that arose, and some people expressed their views, and I tried to (badly though heh) clarify. I feel somewhat at a loss, and this feeling is somewhat subjective, but in any case where someone's beliefs would be mocked, I do not think it is fair or right. Ultimately though, it's not that important and I really don't care. It's all good in the end.

On a sidenote, if anyone ever tries to tell another that they would "go to hell" for something they've done, they have no right or founding to say that. I don't know how people get off on judging each other, especially people that claim to be Christians. Just because the Bible or a teaching of the Church says something may not be right, that doesn't mean one must go out and demonize others for what they may be doing. Kpsweetie's right when she says that we shouldn't try to judge other people. People who think they should already have some deep-seated issues, and their faith is whack.

Old Post 01-06-2003 09:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roentgen
take nothing for granted

I try no to attack religion, though, I'm sorely tempted to...more often than not. Other people's extreme religious reaction to me, my ideals, and living situation have made me a little bitter.

-first member-

Old Post 01-06-2003 09:47 PM
tm11
down by law

quote:
Originally posted by roentgen
I try no to attack religion, though, I'm sorely tempted to...more often than not. Other people's extreme religious reaction to me, my ideals, and living situation have made me a little bitter.

I can understand where you're coming from (to an extent of course, probably not totally) but enough that I think I can empathize. It is too bad that people who claim to be "religious" don't realize that their religion teaches tolerance and respect for others(yes that's a generalization, but is a common theme among most religions). Haha, if it means anything, I apologize on behalf of those irresponsible people, whether they were ignorant or intolerant, or tried to force their views upon you. That doesn't really solve anything, but it's all I can offer.

Old Post 01-06-2003 09:52 PM
roentgen
take nothing for granted

thanks. I really appreciate hearing(reading) that. It makes me feel a lot better! If only there were more people like you~

-first member-

Old Post 01-06-2003 09:57 PM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:
Originally posted by tm11
It is too bad that people who claim to be "religious" don't realize that their religion teaches tolerance and respect for others(yes that's a generalization, but is a common theme among most religions). :

It's dumb how people who are "so religious" can't realize that just because it says in leviticus "man shall now sleep with man" or in the story of Sodom and Gorrorah,i have no idea how to spell that, or in the one about Lot, that just because it shows bad things about homosexual people and explicitly even tells people not to sleep with others of the same sex, these people all of a sudden disregard all the respect for others stuff that is taught in religion. They outcast them and treat them terrible just because they are "sinning" when they really shouldn't be.

Yeah, it's sad that that is in the bible. Too bad for them i think. Let ignorance and bigotry perpetuate! I was only half serious in the preceding comment btw so if someone feels the need to write an entire post about being offended by that...know i wasn't so serious in advance. Though i do think its inhibiting to teach anti-homosexuality in the being of a person (that means the follower shouldn't do it, not shunning others who do), and i think that is bigotting yes...but of course, it's the bible and any following would have to be bigotting i guess, right? haha, i mean it's not as if it's going to adapt with times.

-Cromwell

Old Post 01-07-2003 09:50 PM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:
Right right, but I know a lot of people that think masturbation is a sin. I have an irish catholic grand-uncle that is vehemently against it, as well as a whiney kid that i heard the other day preaching that it was a sin... is it, really?

And if it's so wrong, then why does it feel so right?
(hooho shock value! )

Ah, i'll just ask cause we're going to be trying to figure out what you are looking for in posts after this for awhile and this will save time. What do you mean by "is it, really?" in regards to if it's a sin (i.e. what do you consider a sin?, just going against the word of god? breaking a commandment? or what?) I adhere to going against the will of god is a sin, i might be wrong for thinking that but that's what i think it is, anyway, so yes it would be a sin. But i need to know your definition if we are going to progress anywhere at all.

Sure, it's not explicitly said in the bible "masturbation is wrong" but i think it would be subsumed in the mathew quote i showed you over AIM. I'll find it again and post it.

And, whether masturbation feels "right" is subjective, and i'm sure you are just saying this not seriously anyway but i'm answering for everyone else i guess, and me hahah cause i'm bored and have to go to the library again....bah, anyway, you know right is subjective, to me....well, it doesn't feel right at all hahah, according to what i would consider it. But, i really don't care since i don't think there's anything in "right and wrong." (me saying it doesn't sound right to me before i said i didn't think right and wrong exist is not a contradiction, don't waste your time, i explain later but i was just denying the inherency of it and not that i don't think things can be considered right and wrong according to personal standards, but they shouldn't be enforced at ALL, nor used for argumentation when we aren't talking about the same thing, this is all right cause we are talking about the bible but the minute you said "it feels so right" that strayed to a personal morality issue and it's not consistent.) It's so subjective i just throw it out, i'm tangenting off but i hate it when people throw in the word right or wrong to give some ungodly ammount of weight to what they just stated when they haven't said anything except a subjective value, it's not as if it's inherently wrong or inherently right, it's a cop out if you ask me. Anyway, so back to this again hahah, it's wrong according to bibilical beliefs because it's said not to lust and that is somethign that entails lust.

Edit, here's that TM (hoho) quote i was talkiong about :

"You have heard that it was said to those of old, `You shall not commit adultery....But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart."
-Matthew 5:27

-Cromwell

Last edited by PsychoSnowman on 01-07-2003 at 10:06 PM

Old Post 01-07-2003 10:03 PM
tm11
down by law

I don't think anyone has to agree with queerness or anything for that matter. People are entitled to their opinions, but it is a shame that a lot of religious people feel the need to have opressive views and act against queers.

quote:
originally posted by Psychosnowman
it's sad that that is in the bible. Too bad for them i think

I don't think it's sad that those things are in the bible. I think it's sad that people misread the bible.

As far as the issue of teaching against queerness, it's taught that it is sinful just as many other things are. It's up to each person though, to decide what they will and will not do.

I don't necessarily agree with homosexuality, and I have decided that for myself, I feel, although I can acknowledge that I have been affected by many factors. I think I understand the biological/gender/sociocultural factors associated with it to an extent, and I must say I don't think ill of queerness or queer people. "Hatin' is bad for your health", too many people don't recognize that. It's not their place to judge, they are not on any moral pedestal or pulpit that allows them to hate, they are no different than those that they hate, and they are too blinded to recognize.

Old Post 01-07-2003 10:30 PM
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

quote:
Originally posted by tm11

First , stating that I understand you're only jesting and that no offense has been taken, I don't understand why you feel the need to make jokes at the expense other people's beliefs when your beliefs were never questioned in the first place (No harm has been done, I doubt, to anyone, but I still don't see how it's justified in making such a statement). In the debate occuring in this thread, there was a theological question that arose, and some people expressed their views, and I tried to (badly though heh) clarify. I feel somewhat at a loss, and this feeling is somewhat subjective, but in any case where someone's beliefs would be mocked, I do not think it is fair or right. Ultimately though, it's not that important and I really don't care. It's all good in the end.

Do the words "...nine posts, nine words..." mean anything to you?

Edit: All I can say is that it helps your statement, I can't say anything else because it might jeopardize a rapport.

Last edited by Alchemist on 01-08-2003 at 12:33 AM

Old Post 01-08-2003 12:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote