Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Debate > Is society getting lazier...?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Valor
prelapsarian dweller

Is society getting lazier...?

I was just thinking, while I was sitting down to write this godawful english essay for my dumb english class, is the average person becoming lazier? I mean, think about it. With the advent of newer technology, sure it helps us all and such, but I can't help thinking that it also makes us lazier and pampers us up to the point where we leave all our work to plastic boxes that have lotsa wires and make a lot of whirring noises (computers). Just a thought.

you'll turn and walk away, never
knowing that you are my life.

Last edited by Valor on 03-11-2003 at 03:34 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-11-2003 03:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Valor Click here to Send Valor a Private Message Visit Valor's homepage! Find more posts by Valor Add Valor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kangg fu

yeah i would think that most of the population is getting lazier, but the need for work as dropped alot so it is understandable. I mean we dont have to farm 12 hours a day or go hunting...unless your a farmer...we are lazy butts

Old Post 03-11-2003 04:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kangg fu Click here to Send kangg fu a Private Message Find more posts by kangg fu Add kangg fu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

quote:
Originally posted by kangg fu
yeah i would think that most of the population is getting lazier, but the need for work as dropped alot so it is understandable. I mean we dont have to farm 12 hours a day or go hunting...unless your a farmer...we are lazy butts

My father does work just as tiring as a farmer's work, and hunts as well, but he isn't a farmer.

Old Post 03-11-2003 07:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
merdawg
: My Avatar is So CUTE :

quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist
My father does work just as tiring as a farmer's work, and hunts as well, but he isn't a farmer.

wats his occupation?

"Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable. " - Bruce Lee

Old Post 03-11-2003 09:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for merdawg Click here to Send merdawg a Private Message Find more posts by merdawg Add merdawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kangg fu

dang ure dad is a really hard working guy ure lucky to have a dad like that but im sure u realize

Old Post 03-11-2003 10:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kangg fu Click here to Send kangg fu a Private Message Find more posts by kangg fu Add kangg fu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
.aS.|5p!7f!|23
foo oo o o o oo o oo o o

your dad sounds like a hard working guy but im sure hes not average (above). most of america especially has become relly lazy

Old Post 03-11-2003 10:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for .aS.|5p!7f!|23 Click here to Send .aS.|5p!7f!|23 a Private Message Find more posts by .aS.|5p!7f!|23 Add .aS.|5p!7f!|23 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aznkid1008
God is my judge

hmmm lazy? i dunno i mean some work fairly hard and others r also very lazy.

Remember the heros
Remember the lives
Remember the day
God bless

Old Post 03-12-2003 01:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aznkid1008 Click here to Send aznkid1008 a Private Message Find more posts by aznkid1008 Add aznkid1008 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
requiem
Book Mod/Batman Fan

I don't know if it's possible for me to be any lazier than I am at the moment.

Old Post 03-12-2003 02:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for requiem Click here to Send requiem a Private Message Find more posts by requiem Add requiem to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
castle outsider

no were juss gettin smarter

Old Post 03-12-2003 05:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for castle outsider Click here to Send castle outsider a Private Message Visit castle outsider's homepage! Find more posts by castle outsider Add castle outsider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ariana

Of course we as a society are getting lazier.
Sometimes I wonder how did I manage without a computer ?! I didn't have one until a few years ago when I found I absolutely needed one for school assignments. I cant believe I hand wrote all my papers, all those drafts until that point because today, I wouldn't think of doing that unless forced to. My handwriting stinks, as is the case I find with many other students in comparison to the older genereations where handwriting was stressed so much.
Another thing that stands out in my mind is laziness with etiquette. When did it go out of style?! Someone tell me because I always thought etiquette was important.. It made me sick the other day in class the teacher was trying to read something and for about 20 minutes she strruggled to speak over the buzz of some boy. Too nice to repremand him she just continued to speak over him hoping that he would get the picture and put his convo on hold for a little while. It was apparent to everyone that his chatter was disrupting the lesson, as the other students continually asked the teacher to repeat what she was saying and this boy still kept talking. So finally I turn around and say to him, "______ stop talking.." and what is his retort? "Shut the fcuk up b#Tch!" I mean c'mon that's just lame.
Anyway, I just feel like each generation below is increasingly rude and it bothers me a great deal. Where's the respect at? It seems the youth of today hardly know the meaning of the word.

Old Post 03-12-2003 06:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ariana Click here to Send Ariana a Private Message Find more posts by Ariana Add Ariana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Valor
prelapsarian dweller

I wholeheartedly agree with you on that subject. In addition to becoming lazier, I've observed a degradation of etiquette and manners people as well. No longer do people hold doors for one another ((partly because those doors are replaced by automatic sliding ones?))

Old Post 03-12-2003 05:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Valor Click here to Send Valor a Private Message Visit Valor's homepage! Find more posts by Valor Add Valor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sliCk

this world... jus becomes more lazy as the years progress... more corrupt... technology will take over... the future will come true.. its inevitable.. and not one of us can do anything about it... because its given to us...

though.. there only we CAN do is... to choose.. what YOU want to do .. with those given to you... i still hold doors... i still try and keep manners.. but thats me... i can't force others to do so... so its you who matters in the end.. valor. maybe other will see you and learn... or do the same... people are subject to influence.

Old Post 03-12-2003 07:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sliCk Click here to Send sliCk a Private Message Find more posts by sliCk Add sliCk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aznkid1008
God is my judge

quote:
Originally posted by Valor
I wholeheartedly agree with you on that subject. In addition to becoming lazier, I've observed a degradation of etiquette and manners people as well. No longer do people hold doors for one another ((partly because those doors are replaced by automatic sliding ones?))

o god is that true. people in and around a city r so damn rude (not all). also road rage is gettin intense, prob because of how a blind man can pass the drivin test(for those who failed i was exageratin that) and that we got idiots on the road.

Remember the heros
Remember the lives
Remember the day
God bless

Old Post 03-12-2003 11:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for aznkid1008 Click here to Send aznkid1008 a Private Message Find more posts by aznkid1008 Add aznkid1008 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

What is the natural response from people who accidentally bump into someone?

Old Post 03-13-2003 12:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ariana

quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist
What is the natural response from people who accidentally bump into someone?

An "excuse me" or "sorry" seems about right.

Old Post 03-13-2003 03:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ariana Click here to Send Ariana a Private Message Find more posts by Ariana Add Ariana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Valor
prelapsarian dweller

Well Alchemist, the "natural response" would probably be to seethe inwardly, saying to yourself, "wtF yO~!" and glare at the person. But come now, we're all civilized people aren't we? =]

Old Post 03-13-2003 06:56 PM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

quote:
Well Alchemist, the "natural response" would probably be to seethe inwardly, saying to yourself, "wtF yO~!" and glare at the person. But come now, we're all civilized people aren't we? =]

i'm sure that happened in times in the past and stuff though, like even in feudal europe where chivalry and everything was held in high regard, i don't think they honestly thought extremely kindly all the time. They conveyed it in speech though.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 03-13-2003 07:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kryogenix
Ghost

Re: Is society getting lazier...?

quote:
I was just thinking, while I was sitting down to write this godawful english essay for my dumb english class, is the average person becoming lazier? I mean, think about it. With the advent of newer technology, sure it helps us all and such, but I can't help thinking that it also makes us lazier and pampers us up to the point where we leave all our work to plastic boxes that have lotsa wires and make a lot of whirring noises (computers). Just a thought.

well, the people worked hard to invent the technologies, were they lazy?

Old Post 03-13-2003 07:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kryogenix Click here to Send kryogenix a Private Message Find more posts by kryogenix Add kryogenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Valor
prelapsarian dweller

Re: Re: Is society getting lazier...?

quote:
Originally posted by kryogenix
well, the people worked hard to invent the technologies, were they lazy?

Well, of course they're not lazy. If anything, these people are the complete antithesis of their lethargic counterparts. Because of those people who have worked hard to further our scope of technology, countless folks are still living. My grandfather is living a healthy, happy life because one (or a few) noble souls went out and found a treatment for diabetes.

So what I'm saying is that, yea, there are some people who have become lazy due to our ever-advancing tools, and yet, there are the many others who deserve a clap because of their efforts. Like any other debate, this has 2 sides to it; generally the pros and the cons. I'm just illustrating the latter.

Old Post 03-13-2003 11:39 PM
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

Ok, so if we crowd up all the streets with people, they will keep on bumping into each other. Can you imagine?

Old Post 03-14-2003 04:05 AM