Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Intellectuals > Enlightenment > which Philosophers do u
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DaWhim
Da Hong Konger

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman
i don't think adam smith is a philosopher. Just an economist/analyst.

from the book The Wealths of Nations, all it is about is laissez faire

defination:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-...a=laissez-faire

2 : a philosophy or practice characterized by a usually deliberate abstention from direction or interference especially with individual freedom of choice and action

*cough* *cough*
Adam Smith is not a philosopher. *suspicious*
:stupid:

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-20-2002 04:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DaWhim Click here to Send DaWhim a Private Message Find more posts by DaWhim Add DaWhim to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

haha

sorry, i still odn't buy it. That definition of his free rein system includes teh word philosophy...yes, haha, but that doesn't make him a philosopher. Think about it, by your terms you make everyone on earth a philosopher. Sure, that doesn't have to be a bad thing, and its not. I just abide to a more limiting definition of one who investigates the innerworkings or workings of logic, nature, reality, values, causes, etc. I understand how everyone can be considered a philosopher, i just don't like definiitons that don't really specify. Like, someone who creates a method of washing their hair more efficiently, that is a philosophy, but that person is not a philosopher in my eyes...though eh could be considered one.

So, sure he can be a philosopher if you want. But just cause the word philosophy is in the definition of the style of leadership/working he made, doesn't make him a philosopher hah. But, i still disagree. He's an innovator, not a philosopher.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 10-20-2002 08:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DaWhim
Da Hong Konger

LOL @ lamer

whoever study economics will know

Old Post 10-21-2002 03:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DaWhim Click here to Send DaWhim a Private Message Find more posts by DaWhim Add DaWhim to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

hahaha, man this brings me back to the old internet days with all the mercurial/anger prone kids haha .

wow, i must be stupid haha (sarcasm), me taking an econ class and not realizing that he is most definately a philosopher. It's not subjective at all. I mean, in webster.com it says philosophy in the definition!! he must be a philosopher! (sarcasm) hahaha . I'm stupid for thinking otherwise! (what'd be a really clever rebut would be to quote me saying "i'm stupid" even though it's in a sarcastic tone and then say "yes you are", oh nm hah that wouldn't be)... LOL @ lamer (sardonically)

-Cromwell

Old Post 10-21-2002 05:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DaWhim
Da Hong Konger

quote:

me taking an econ class and not realizing that he is most definately a philosopher.

i wonder where u take ur econ class
if high school, the teacher will mention him a bit.
if in college, then depends what college u are in.

if in top 50 colleges, it is one of the hardest class. for 1337s
if the college rank below that....just as easy as u have time to talking bs here.

Old Post 10-21-2002 05:56 AM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

it's amazing how objective you think this all is. haha

Anyway, i'm taking an International Baccaulaureate course in high school about business. IB Business and Organization HL, higher level class so it's 2 years instead of one. I don't think someone really needs to go in depth to realize how loose of a philosopher he really is though.

-Cromwell

Old Post 10-21-2002 06:39 AM
DaWhim
Da Hong Konger

so u are in high school *grins*

hope u know what is laissez faire and who came up with this idea.

Old Post 10-21-2002 06:51 AM
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

wow, there was no implication that i knew what it was from my previous posts...haha . Especially when i told you exactly why he wasn't a philosopher in my mind, and referred to laissez faire as "free rein," yes i have no idea what it is (sarcasm). You could have figured out i held knowledge of what it was and who made it from my posts, you being a smart (at least in your eyes) fellow like yourself. Oh nevermind, you probably knew... you just wanted to say that so you could somehow feel smart haha , is that it? hahah. Damn, if you are in college...man, that would be so amazing. Definately putting you on a level far beyond an IB diploma candidate at a high school (sarcasm again) *grins*

hope i know what it is , not like it's incredibly important that i hold this knowledge regardless.

-Cromwell

Old Post 10-21-2002 07:29 AM
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
Originally posted by DaWhim
so u are in high school *grins*

By stating as such, you imply a superiority of College students over high-school students. Not only is that a presumption based on fallacy, you also preform a real-world contradiction to your own argument by calling others by terms such as "lamer."

True idiocy and ignorance at work.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 10-21-2002 09:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DaWhim
Da Hong Konger

hm hm....
http://www.jusunlee.com/forums/show...p;threadid=6829

u can see what classes i am taking

it is just a big shame that u study economics and dunno what laissez faire is. as i said adam smith is the father of economics.

you can ask ur teacher who he is and what laissez faire it. it is a french word "let the market be free."

(all of a sudden, i got flamed) :sad:

Old Post 10-21-2002 12:47 PM
|vaSh|
And wheeeeeeeee

and here we go again with teh flames...
we need a flame icon in this forums :P

Old Post 10-21-2002 09:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for |vaSh| Click here to Send |vaSh| a Private Message Find more posts by |vaSh| Add |vaSh| to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
(all of a sudden, i got flamed) :sad:

Of course then, this begs the question: who started the flaming?
We will go directly to the source of this matter:

quote:

quote:
*cough* *cough*
Adam Smith is not a philosopher. *suspicious*
:stupid:

after his response with no insulting references you reply with

quote:
LOL @ lamer

yea good job. The statement should be changed from "suddenly i'm getting flamed" to "suddenly everyone realizes what a bullshitter I am." Following all your responses above, you come up with that "so you're high school *grins*" statement which I have already answered in my previous post.

BTW: you should refresh your french. Literally translated: "Leave to do." Hardly anything remotely resembling "let the market be free."

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 10-21-2002 11:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tm11
down by law

I probably should have said something earlier, haha. But anyways. Adam Smith was not a philosopher, he was an economist at best. David is right, and under your logic anyone is a philosopher.

Don't complain about being flamed, as you entered this thread in a belligerent fashion, and it only seems david and victor are returning the favor. Anyways, you weren't flamed, others were only reciprocating, and David wasn't being offensive either, mildly caustic, at best.

Adam Smith is the father of economics, yes. He theorized Capitalism, yes. Is he a philosopher? No. He's an economist. Einstein theorized the theory of relativity among many other theories and laws in physics, but he's not a philosopher. He was a physicist.

I know what L'aissez Faire means too... what is your point? L'aissez faire isn't just an approach to economics, it's also an approach to government as well.

I don't understand how your classes qualify you to make such assertions. Using that logic, I would be more qualified as my classes are:

I'm a senior in high school, btw.

IB English 2
IB Spanish 5
IB Business & Organization 2
Psychology
AP environmental science
AP Calc. AB
Bio-Ethics

All of those classes with the exception of psychology are honors classes, and I'm also involved in debate, and I think it's safe to assume that I know more about capitalism than you do, although I still have a long way to go before truly understanding anything.

Anyways, the important thing is... there is a slight disagreement on the forums, so just let it go. Please don't be discouraged by this incident, DaWhim, or any other parties, but if you are going to make an assertion, be able to defend it, maturely, and intelligently, please.

Last edited by tm11 on 10-22-2002 at 02:28 AM

Old Post 10-22-2002 12:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tm11 Click here to Send tm11 a Private Message Find more posts by tm11 Add tm11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DaWhim
Da Hong Konger

maybe i should apologize for being offensive.

but can u prove to me that he is not lamer?
hint: prove Adam Smith is not a philosopher

my statement
"so u are in high school *grins*" is refer to my previous post

quote:

i wonder where u take ur econ class
if high school, the teacher will mention him a bit.
if in college, then depends what college u are in.

if in top 50 colleges, it is one of the hardest class. for 1337s
if the college rank below that....just as easy as u have time to talking bs here.

i dun think there is problem to interpret "laizze-faire" to "let the market be free," this is the way my teacher taugh me.

Old Post 10-22-2002 12:15 AM
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
but can u prove to me that he is not lamer?
hint: prove Adam Smith is not a philosopher

my statement
"so u are in high school *grins*" is refer to my previous post

i dun think there is problem to interpret "laizze-faire" to "let the market be free," this is the way my teacher taugh me.

"Lamer." Hmm...how and why are you calling people lamers. Internet slang does not apply here, especially in a more serious fashion.

What was the significance of the high school statement and why did you add the "*grin*." Yes, I would like to see you explain this one.

You said laissez-faire was a french word meaning "Let the market be free." Yes we all realize that, but you cannot going around touting that it directly means "let the market.." because it does not. You are obligated to add in a contextual background as to why that french term is used for it. Otherwise, people would just assume that you have no understanding of french and its language.

King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 10-22-2002 12:26 AM
DaWhim
Da Hong Konger

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter

"Lamer." Hmm...how and why are you calling people lamers. Internet slang does not apply here, especially in a more serious fashion.

What was the significance of the high school statement and why did you add the "*grin*." Yes, I would like to see you explain this one.

You said laissez-faire was a french word meaning "Let the market be free." Yes we all realize that, but you cannot going around touting that it directly means "let the market.." because it does not. You are obligated to add in a contextual background as to why that french term is used for it. Otherwise, people would just assume that you have no understanding of french and its language.

u are making me feel u are a n00b to the internet, do i have to say welcome to u?
*grin* in here mean "heh"

i am saind laissez-faire in an economic term. beside this word is borrowed from french and wide use in english (for economic). so do u think it matters to the original french language? u are not saying that to a french.
btw, i never learn french, everyone takes economic know this term. in an economic textbook, u can find the mean "leave to do" then lines of defination for it. but i can summarize the lines of defination with "let the market be free"

anyways, u haven't proved that Adam Smith is not a philosopher. this is what i am arguing

Old Post 10-22-2002 01:05 AM
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:
anyways, u haven't proved that Adam Smith is not a philosopher. this is what i am arguing

and notice that I never cared for that issue.

u are making me feel u are a n00b to the internet, do i have to say welcome to u?
*grin* in here mean "heh"

I know what it means. Why you use even attempt to use it in this situation is unclear and idiotic at best. c/a all statements made in my first post.

Why heh? Why the chuckle? You continually ignore this aspect of my questioning. c/a my statements on the presumptions and contradictions to superiority.

quote:
in an economic textbook, u can find the mean "leave to do" then lines of defination for it. but i can summarize the lines of defination with "let the market be free"

Rephrase these lines, your use of language is baffling.

btw: "defination" does not exist. "Definition" does. Perhaps I should introduce you to the wide world of the english language. How about the wide world of grammer while at it, judging from the numerous errors you commit.

King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 10-22-2002 01:18 AM
DaWhim
Da Hong Konger

quote:
quote:

and notice that I never cared for that issue.

this is what i want to hear from u, the rest are just bs and i am not replying to it

7YP1NG 7H15 W4Y M4Y B3 B3773R F0R 7H3 P30PL3 L1K3 U 70 R34D, 51NC3 U C4R3 4B0U7 5P3LL1NG 4ND GR4MM3R M1574K35 -- hack style typing may fit u the best, if u just want to pick on my spelling and grammer mistakes

Old Post 10-22-2002 01:45 AM
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

quote:

1) this is what i want to hear from u, the rest are just bs and i am not replying to it

2) 7YP1NG 7H15 W4Y M4Y B3 B3773R F0R 7H3 P30PL3 L1K3 U 70 R34D, 51NC3 U C4R3 4B0U7 5P3LL1NG 4ND GR4MM3R M1574K35 -- hack style typing may fit u the best, if u just want to pick on my spelling and grammer mistakes

1) Suffice to say, I would assume that you are afraid to tackle my arguments. My statement was provoked by your ribbing of PsychoSnowman, a perfectly legitimate reason. Your failure to address my arguments means you concede.

2) Perhaps I do care too much, but keep in mind, you were the one proposing that college students are superior to high-schoolers. Also realize that you are a senior in HS. Scoffing at another person because they're in the same grade isn't going to do much.
In addition, your inability to use the english language is well...pitiful.

King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Last edited by Crazydeb8ter on 10-22-2002 at 02:09 AM

Old Post 10-22-2002 02:03 AM
DaWhim
Da Hong Konger

quote:

1) Suffice to say, I would assume that you are afraid to tackle my arguments. My statement was provoked by your ribbing of PsychoSnowman, a perfectly legitimate reason. Your failure to address my arguments means you concede.

2) Perhaps I do care too much, but keep in mind, you were the one proposing that college students are better than high-schoolers. Your inability to use the english language is well...pitiful.

1. u are not answering my question and u have to know what thread u are talking in. we are talking philosopher and i am asking u can u prove Adam Smith is not a philosopher.

this is what he said and this is also what i am arguing!!! if u want to talk not relate to philosopher, please, go somehwere else.

2. was i proposing that college students are better than high schoolers? u really missed something
did u miss to click on this link?
http://www.jusunlee.com/forums/show...p;threadid=6829
i am a high school senior, duh....

what do u want to argue with me now? hope u only talk something relate to the topic of this thread

anyways, have funs arguing with ya

Old Post 10-22-2002 02:18 AM