Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Interests > Technology > Motherboard Review.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sangxjin

Motherboard Review.

im looking to buy a new motherboard under the $120 range. I need something that supports DDR SDRAM (PC2100) has a ATA133 Controller. supports Athlon XP 2000+ and is loaded with extra goodies.
I had a MSI KT3 Ultra-ARU in mind..and btw is it really worth getting a board with nFORCE on it? i know what it does and all but is it really worth it?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-23-2002 05:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sangxjin Click here to Send sangxjin a Private Message Visit sangxjin's homepage! Find more posts by sangxjin Add sangxjin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micron
all i need is a miracle

nforce2 came out, so you might want to read about it before you decide to get an nforce chipset based mainboard, though i wouldnt really recommend it. nforce chipset has an integrated geforce 2mx equivalent graphics adapter on the northbridge... and it sucks now, with geforce3 and 4s on the market.

for athlon based system, i would recommend a motherboard with via kt333 chipset. its the most advanced chipset of athlon processors, supporting 166 mhz ddr (333 mhz : pc 2700), udma 133 (though you wont really need ata133, as most manufacturers wont manufacture atat133 hds, since serial ata will soon be introduced), agp 8x, and usb 2 (when paired with via VT8233A southbridge).

with that said, if i were you, i would get the Gigabyte GA-7VRXP (105$ in newegg.com) which has an ethernet adapter and pci sound (not your regular ac97 but creative CT5880), and raid controller. 6 usb ports are also included. whats more, it has one of the best benchmark results for kt333 based chipset.

Old Post 07-23-2002 08:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sangxjin

when about do you think will agp 8x hit the market? i mean as of now, no video cards support agp 8x. but i hear some awesome things about ATi Radeon 9700. damn i want my dirty hands on one of those.

Old Post 07-23-2002 10:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sangxjin Click here to Send sangxjin a Private Message Visit sangxjin's homepage! Find more posts by sangxjin Add sangxjin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ajy

all i can say is despite all the hype with AMD's, my pentium 4 is still really fast. werd.

Old Post 07-23-2002 11:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ajy Click here to Send ajy a Private Message Find more posts by ajy Add ajy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
volcom strider
I'm going to be blind

i'd go with amd over intel. hype or hope? up to others opinions.

Old Post 07-24-2002 03:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for volcom strider Click here to Send volcom strider a Private Message Find more posts by volcom strider Add volcom strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ajy

quote:
hype or hope? up to others opinions.

hype1 (hp) Slang
n.
Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion

Old Post 07-24-2002 03:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ajy Click here to Send ajy a Private Message Find more posts by ajy Add ajy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micron
all i need is a miracle

hype? what hype?

its intel that directly advertise to consumers about how great their p4 is. i dont think amd ever advertised their products but let the oems do the advertising for them.

in anycase, p4s are always the way to go for top of the line proformance hungry users. the latest p4 paired with ddr400 or rambus pc1066 ram would kill any athlon based system when it comes to benchmarks, though its up to the individuals to decide if that has any meaning. but then, who would want to pay quite a lot more for a intel based system thats only around 10-20 percent faster than rival amd?

anyhow, the latest amd processors (athlon xps) run very hot and their fans are really loud, like a mini vacuum cleaner. with intel and their broader heatsink bearings, the fans are larger and thus run at a slower speed and in turn is a lot quiter. thats the only reason that i would rather have gotten a p4 than the athlon system that i currently have. ..and i wouldnt want to dish out another 100 or so for a water cooling system just to disquiet my computer (and because im not that enthusiastic about overclocking my hardware, though i readily have overclocked my friends' computers).

Old Post 07-25-2002 02:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sangxjin

do you know where i can get good deals on a watercooling kit for a socket 462 cpu? i mean the whole thing. and btw. i just painted my case and im going to add a window to my case and i bought a cold cathode but i was thinking....instead of cutting into my case, why not just replace the whole side with a panel of lexan or plexi. it would cost alot cheaper.

Old Post 07-25-2002 03:17 AM
micron
all i need is a miracle

i always bought my computer hardware at newegg.com. its a very large (but very cheap) online retailer. also very reliable, i might add, unlike some sites taht are listed on pricewatch.com.

so you went with a p4 northwood afterall?

Old Post 07-25-2002 03:31 AM
sangxjin

yea my room is pretty quiet so i choose the p4. on the other hand a amd athlon xp 2100+ would make a cool family computer project. i was looking into this chemical that you submerge your computer into but doesnt damage it because it disspates heat so quickly. its called hydrofluoroether from 3M, specifically HFE-7100. HFE-7100 is a dielectric fluid used in thermal management applications. Translation: It does not conduct any electricity, won't harm electronic components, and is an excellent conductor of heat. The downside to HFE-7100 is that it's expensive (about $220 per gallon) and it will evaporate very quickly if not sealed, which means we need to construct the appropriate containment system. sounds cool huh? anyway i was looking into water cooling for my family computer since i already have an athlon xp 2100+ help me out?

Old Post 07-25-2002 04:20 AM
sangxjin

btw. i buy all my parts at newegg.com awesome seller feedback. the thing is the only part that they dont carry is a water cooling kit. i found one at crazypc.com but i dont have alot $$$ to spare so i dunno wat i should do. maybe buying an air-conditioning unit will do.

Old Post 07-25-2002 04:22 AM
tea
Official Pothead

http://www.exoticpc.com/

pretty cool stuff to look at..if i had the money..id get some of these parts

Old Post 07-25-2002 04:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tea Click here to Send tea a Private Message Find more posts by tea Add tea to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ajy

in my opinion, i thing that alien ware are the best computers. http://www.alienware.com

Old Post 07-25-2002 05:34 AM
volcom strider
I'm going to be blind

quote:
Originally posted by AjY 2k
in my opinion, i thing that alien ware are the best computers. http://www.alienware.com

2 reasons why i wouldn't go for it...

1.) if i had the money to dish out, i would buy it. unfortunately it's expensive as fuck.

2.) i'd rather build a system up to my own standards. that way i dont have to be bitching at the company, just only to myself.

quote:
Originally posted by AjY 2k
hype1 (hp) Slang
n.
Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion

i agree with jusun. oh yeah, sometimes i wonder if you still continue want to start beef with someone (e.g. - me) on the internet. just let it go.

Last edited by volcom strider on 07-25-2002 at 06:47 AM

Old Post 07-25-2002 06:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for volcom strider Click here to Send volcom strider a Private Message Find more posts by volcom strider Add volcom strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ajy

quote:
i agree with jusun. oh yeah, sometimes i wonder if you still continue want to start beef with someone (e.g. - me) on the internet. just let it go.

DMX- We right here:

Bring it! What?
We right here
We're not goin anywhere
We right here
This is ours and we don't share
We right here
Bring your crew cuz we don't care
We right here
Uh, uh, uh

Old Post 07-25-2002 03:53 PM
kiggaplease

Via' KT400 chipset is coming out very soon, integrated USB 2.0 and a new southbridge chipset that is supposed to alleviate Soundblaster Live and Audigy problems with pci bus parking. And not to mention, AGP 8x for a future video card upgrade that you may have in mind.

So, could you stick it out just a while longer? :)

And maybe wait for the Thoroughbred 2000's and 2100's? :) Heck by that time, you'd be better off getting a tbred 2200

Old Post 07-25-2002 10:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kiggaplease Click here to Send kiggaplease a Private Message Find more posts by kiggaplease Add kiggaplease to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kiggaplease

btw, for those of you looking for a dynamic aircooling solution: The volcano 7+ allows you to set the fan speed to low (3500RPM) when you're listening to mp3's or watching a movie, and then you can turn it up to medium and high speeds (4800RPM and 6000RPM). I personally leave mine set to low, and it is extremely quiet. Temps only load up to 61ºC idle on my comp (Asus uses internal thermal diode on the cpu, and 60ºC roughly translates to about 45ºC on a "normal" motherboard. Btw, I don't really overclock, because i have a problem with my 350W for now

Old Post 07-25-2002 10:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kiggaplease Click here to Send kiggaplease a Private Message Find more posts by kiggaplease Add kiggaplease to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sangxjin

lol i have the thermaltake volcano 7+ with the temp. sensor that adjusts the speed and i dont like it. the volcano9+ seems to get nothing but good reviews.

Old Post 07-26-2002 04:29 AM
kHoOkOoO

i would say go with the ASUS A7V333 for an Athlon XP processor. i was looking into getting that for a while...

and that KT400 is sounding very sweet

Old Post 08-04-2002 11:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kHoOkOoO Click here to Send kHoOkOoO a Private Message Visit kHoOkOoO's homepage! Find more posts by kHoOkOoO Add kHoOkOoO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote