Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > General > Random Thoughts > Gay rights gone too far
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

Gay rights gone too far

Yo have gay rights gone a little to far in some areas? I was talking to my sister today and she was telling me about this gay guy in the high school who would go around telling teachers that their make up is put on incorrectly or show disrespect in some other way. If anyone were to point out that he is being rude he would counter it with "you don't like me because I'm gay" apparently he does not endure any repercussions that normal students would encounter. It really seems that if one person should slap him for being an ass the result would be an independent film being produced to portray the horrible assault that a homosexual at TZHS had to endure due to discrimination.

Also someone said that homophobia should be illegal or a crime or something like that. While some forms of homophobia should be illegal, I don't think that laws governing how people feel should be passed by the government.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-20-2005 04:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaqthree
3 Newtons

Illegalizing homophobia is like illegalizing racism, can't really do it.

Of course, we hate racism, it's a horrible disease. Homophobia is pretty bad, too, obviously. But 'hate crime' legislation is there already, no need for any "Thought control" legislation.

As for your original point...sounds like he's playing the "gay" card (similar to playing the "race" card, so actually it's probably the "sexual orientation" card, but that's too long a phrase, so I chose "gay" card instead). Though I'm not sure if telling a teacher that her make up is on incorrectly is a form of disrespect that needs to be corrected or anything.

quote:
It really seems that if one person should slap him for being an ass the result would be an independent film being produced to portray the horrible assault that a homosexual at TZHS had to endure due to discrimination.

This type of mentality annoys me a lot. I know far too many people who think that the "gay" card is overplayed. A lot of white people have this mentality when it comes to the "race" card; the vast majority of people who play those cards are actually discriminated against.

Old Post 05-20-2005 04:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaqthree Click here to Send aaqthree a Private Message Find more posts by aaqthree Add aaqthree to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

the gay card and the race card are rather different though. While someone may make a big deal about a slight incident with a police officer, it is statistically true that blacks encounter and have more problems with the police than is called for in terms of other races (e.g. police brutality).

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 05-20-2005 07:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaqthree
3 Newtons

And there have been no cases of homosexuals being beaten up (not by police, but in general) because they're gay?

I don't think there're too many studies about the gay card, so I don't think it can be definitively said whether it is as valid or less valid than the race card.

Old Post 05-20-2005 05:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaqthree Click here to Send aaqthree a Private Message Find more posts by aaqthree Add aaqthree to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

Maybe I need to provide more details here. In class, the kid was like, "You know what? You're makeup is no good! It's the blush, it's definitely the blush. It makes you look OLD" and if anyone tried to call him out on his rudeness, he would say, "Oh, you don't like me because I'm gay, is that it?"

The common sense response would be "No, I don't like you because you're rude," or "You're making the teacher feel insecure about her appearance, which is generally not a nice thing to do," or "You're rude."

Maybe the kid is being discriminated against at home, I don't know, but I can't remember ever seeing anyone beat up or called names for being gay at TZHS, it seemed like a very gay-friendly area to me. Either way, it's not right that he should cry "discrimination" as a method to slander anyone he wants to, or that his sexual orientation should grant him immunity from criticism in the event that he should make such obnoxious statements as he does.

As I recall, Stony Brook University is a much harsher area for gay people in that "gay" is used as a derogatory term much more frequently. Anywhere from something seeming homosexual to improper stance.
There's a gay person I know at Stony Brook who is very friendly and manages to get by without insulting people's style or make up.

Old Post 05-20-2005 07:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KeN VeRsUs RyU
the old guy.

don't get it twisted. He doesn't represent the gay community. He's just a bitch in high school. Yes they come in male form also.

xanga.com/an1_mixtape

Old Post 05-21-2005 12:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KeN VeRsUs RyU Click here to Send KeN VeRsUs RyU a Private Message Find more posts by KeN VeRsUs RyU Add KeN VeRsUs RyU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
madgood

quote:
don't get it twisted. He doesn't represent the gay community. He's just a bitch in high school. Yes they come in male form also.

Well, yeah, but Alchemist never said that said male HS bitch represented the gay community. As far as I can see, his point is that something is wrong if the teachers can't call this kid out for being an ass because they're afraid of being perceived as homophobic.

Old Post 05-21-2005 06:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for madgood Click here to Send madgood a Private Message Find more posts by madgood Add madgood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaronnn
Suby!

but not all gay's are like that. it may be in just that one case or a few other elsewhere.. but what about when amognst other schoolmates. im sure there are alot of homophobes out there that abuse him and harass him for being openly gay. (which i think its just theyre own insecurity of being called gay) i know this kid i used to go to high school with, who was openly gay. he was picked on all the time and all he does is walk around with his backpack openned up (from idiots that follow behind him and try to steal his books). when someone tries to defend the kid, they call him gay for protecting the gay kid. then it becomes a huge mess. i was also called gay a few times for trying to tell them to shut up and just leave him alone, but i would just walk away. this topic is too controversial in all ages.. even in politics, the NJ governor was hated on bceause of his open sexuality. its ridiculous.

Old Post 05-27-2005 05:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaronnn Click here to Send aaronnn a Private Message Find more posts by aaronnn Add aaronnn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
garciaas
Real Model Artist

Re: Gay rights gone too far

quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist
Yo have gay rights gone a little to far in some areas? I was talking to my sister today and she was telling me about this gay guy in the high school who would go around telling teachers that their make up is put on incorrectly or show disrespect in some other way. If anyone were to point out that he is being rude he would counter it with "you don't like me because I'm gay" apparently he does not endure any repercussions that normal students would encounter. It really seems that if one person should slap him for being an ass the result would be an independent film being produced to portray the horrible assault that a homosexual at TZHS had to endure due to discrimination.

Also someone said that homophobia should be illegal or a crime or something like that. While some forms of homophobia should be illegal, I don't think that laws governing how people feel should be passed by the government.

Yes, I strongly agree.....gay rights have gone WAY too far!

Old Post 05-27-2005 11:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for garciaas Click here to Send garciaas a Private Message Visit garciaas's homepage! Find more posts by garciaas Add garciaas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
garciaas
Real Model Artist

[QUOTE]Originally posted by aaqthree
[B]Illegalizing homophobia is like illegalizing racism, can't really do it.

U go man!

Old Post 05-27-2005 11:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for garciaas Click here to Send garciaas a Private Message Visit garciaas's homepage! Find more posts by garciaas Add garciaas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
garciaas
Real Model Artist

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman
the gay card and the race card are rather different though. While someone may make a big deal about a slight incident with a police officer, it is statistically true that blacks encounter and have more problems with the police than is called for in terms of other races (e.g. police brutality).

Boy, you sure got the right stats!

Old Post 05-27-2005 11:45 PM
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

Yo seriously, I went to the senior college propaganda seminar to speak and this kid was messing around by saying stuff and then the Principal just did a hand signal and a teacher put the kid down. If they can do this delta force enforcement stuff in the auditorium, they should do it everywhere.

Old Post 06-21-2005 04:24 PM
MellowYellow

quote:
...then the Principal just did a hand signal and a teacher put the kid down...

LOL. MAN... your school's admin sound like gangsters. Or the way you worded it.. haha. "a teacher put the kid down"... like you put a dog down when it gets really old and sick?

Anyhow... There's always those people who ruin it for everybody else. That one guy doesn't represent the homosexual community... but it doesn't mean he isn't a part of it either. Using the "gay card" as someone termed it... is like going backwards for gay activists. I thought they wanted to be accepted... treated like everybody [straight?] else. But this guy is just making himself an exception.

I think it's like how some present day women activists want true equality. No discrimination. But then they want certain privaleges/treatment [which they have but sometimes forget about] and that doesn't make us equal... which we aren't anyway. WE'RE NOT EQUAL. lol. And I have no problem with homosexuality or homosexuals either but... man... it's not the same... as being heterosexual. I'm not saying it's bad to be gay or anything but you can't argue that it's the same.

And just an input from me... I think everybody is a racist. lol. I guess I'm a pessimist or something. I dunno... a lot of people get offended and disagree with me when I say it.

Last edited by MellowYellow on 06-21-2005 at 07:49 PM

Old Post 06-21-2005 07:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MellowYellow Click here to Send MellowYellow a Private Message Find more posts by MellowYellow Add MellowYellow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
garciaas
Real Model Artist

quote:
Yo seriously, I went to the senior college propaganda seminar to speak and this kid was messing around by saying stuff and then the Principal just did a hand signal and a teacher put the kid down. If they can do this delta force enforcement stuff in the auditorium, they should do it everywhere.

Yup! That's the way it SHOULD be.

Old Post 06-27-2005 08:58 PM