Jusunlee.com Forums
Show all 12 posts from this thread on one page

Jusunlee.com Forums (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/index.php)
- Language (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=51)
-- obscure languages (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=9929)

Posted by tm11 on 01-15-2003 09:19 PM:

obscure languages

know any languages you think most people don't?

Well, for me...
My family speaks a language called malayalam, that's derived from sanskrit and Tamil. It's spoken mainly in the deep south of India. I don't speak fluently but I can understand it. My ability to speak,read, and write it leaves a lot to be desired.

Posted by iTsmeehLita on 01-15-2003 10:41 PM:

uhm... well i think khmer is kinda obscure ...

whenever i tell people i'm cambodian they're like ... huH??? and im like .. from cambodia .. and theyre like where???

geezez! FRESHEN UP ON YOUr GEOgRaPHY PPL!!!

Posted by Crazydeb8ter on 01-16-2003 12:20 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by iTsmeehLita

I know foreal. Most americans don't know geography worth shit. Some kids don't even know where Connecticut is. I quizzed this dude where Austria was and he thought I was talking about Australia. Needless to say, I was laughing my ass off.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Posted by EviL RicE 666 on 01-16-2003 12:23 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by iTsmeehLita
whenever i tell people i'm cambodian they're like ... huH??? and im like .. from cambodia .. and theyre like where???

lol that happens to be all the time online tho, but if they asian they know where it is..i think

Posted by noriko378 on 01-16-2003 01:28 AM:

I speak Hokkien <-- chinese dialect from Fujian, China
and Tagalog <--which is the main laguage in the Philippines..
mix it with Mandarin, English and French...u got a weird language combination..hehehee

Posted by YaaMaKoh on 01-16-2003 03:46 AM:

all sign languages, but there cool to look at

Posted by YaaMaKoh on 01-16-2003 03:47 AM:

fingerspellins a pain in the (_x_), specially reading it

Posted by rhymester* on 01-16-2003 03:52 PM:

erm...i know a bit of punjabi which is also an indian language, i can read well but i can't speak well.

i can speak singlish hahahah

hmm i also know bits of hokkien, but i can understand and speak mandarin much better. i always mix up cantonese with hokkien!!

Posted by kRypTic_nABi on 01-20-2003 07:55 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter
I know foreal. Most americans don't know geography worth shit. Some kids don't even know where Connecticut is. I quizzed this dude where Austria was and he thought I was talking about Australia. Needless to say, I was laughing my ass off.

i won a geography bee when i was in 5th grade in my school..and then i went to some place for city [i think]
but i screwed up once i saw my dad and brother..
it was amazing..there was a kimchee question..i was proud ^^ but that stupid girl got it wrong -_-

Posted by iTsmeehLita on 01-22-2003 11:21 PM:

neh na kay sdap knyom ban te?

hah!!

dun think so but oh wells!

Posted by requiem on 02-03-2003 02:39 AM:

Damn Malus.
J/k I've heard of Malayalam - they're all over my school harassing me the Bengali.
Oh well.

Posted by tm11 on 02-03-2003 03:58 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by requiem
Damn Malus.
J/k I've heard of Malayalam - they're all over my school harassing me the Bengali.
Oh well.

haha, don't hate on the malus . Heh, i'm surprised there are that enough malayalees there to gang up on a lone bengali, but that's cool. At our school, there aren't a whole lot of subcontinental people, and in my experience most brown folk I meet are from the north. In other places I've lived there have been higher concentrations of south Indian people, which was nice. Are there a lot of brown folk at your school aside from all those malus haha, any more bengalis? Maybe you can band together and defend yourselves, or even better, unite and coexist in harmony, haha.