Jusunlee.com Forums
Show all 10 posts from this thread on one page

Jusunlee.com Forums (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/index.php)
- Debate (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=19)
-- Abuse of constitution? (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=11119)

Posted by kryogenix on 03-05-2003 04:54 PM:

Abuse of constitution?

as we all know, in the news, there was an issue with the use of the words "under god" in the pledge. it's against the constitution (first amendment i think?) to acknowledge a god in the pledge, as the prosecution says. i think this is terrible and it's abuse of the constitution. anyone know any other times the constitution has been abused? i can think of several times that the ACLU has done so.

Posted by PsychoSnowman on 03-05-2003 05:34 PM:

i think of any times off the top of my head....and yours doesn't really seem like an abuse example either...so none.

It's amazing you think that, first ammendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion." Common law today has made the accepted version of law to be any sort of advocacy by the government (no jesus pictures in school, etc.). It's only fair, the government can't endorse a pledge of allegience if they are advocating any religion, and "under god" clearly shows a religion. I really can't grasp your defense about it. There's nothing abusive about it.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Posted by aznkid1008 on 03-05-2003 11:16 PM:

i am sorta nuetral on this. i agree wit snowman's and yet i dont think it should be such a big deal. the founders of this nation were mainly at first christians that ran from europe because of the "luvin and acceptin" catholics.... gettin back on topic i mean if we stop the pledge wat about the coins and dollars? dont they hav under god on them somethin? i dunno i think we should hav a choice 2 or not but watever.

Remember the heros
Remember the lives
Remember the day
God bless

Posted by Crazydeb8ter on 03-06-2003 12:28 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman
There's nothing abusive about it.

exactly. If anything, the statement "under god" is abusive through its sacred advocacy.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Posted by PsychoSnowman on 03-06-2003 03:26 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by aznkid1008
i am sorta nuetral on this. i agree wit snowman's and yet i dont think it should be such a big deal. the founders of this nation were mainly at first christians that ran from europe because of the "luvin and acceptin" catholics.... gettin back on topic i mean if we stop the pledge wat about the coins and dollars? dont they hav under god on them somethin? i dunno i think we should hav a choice 2 or not but watever.

yeah they shouldn't be on the money either. Anything the governement endorses shouldn't have anything to do with religion at all.

Though, that would be a great ordeal in all honesty, in principal it shoudln't be there, but just becuase it's hard doesn't mean i'm saying it's all right.

-Cromwell

Posted by aznkid1008 on 03-07-2003 12:06 AM:

well we as the people have abused a rite before like the right to bear arms. its ment and stated for state militia. it never said public or the common man. but not sayin it is rite 2 abuse a rite just givin some more fuel

Remember the heros
Remember the lives
Remember the day
God bless

Posted by PsychoSnowman on 03-07-2003 03:12 AM:

quote:
well we as the people have abused a rite before like the right to bear arms. its ment and stated for state militia. it never said public or the common man. but not sayin it is rite 2 abuse a rite just givin some more fuel

that's the thing though, you're disproving your own point here. We haven't "abused" any facet of the constitution, we've upheld different interpretations. And, those interpretations are carried through in everyday legality now. The 1st amendment is the same regardless of if you take a strict viewing of the constitution or a loose one, we now interpret it as no govt endorsement or whatever, stricter viewings would be no govt actuated advocacy or anything. Both scenarios uphold the 9th circuit courts decision, the only thing stopping it from fully being carried through is the biggoting people that make it possible to defy legality.

-Cromwell

Posted by aznkid1008 on 03-07-2003 10:00 PM:

quote:
, we've upheld different interpretations.

dude go read the actually statement for right 2 bear arms. it says in words "state militia" never said public. i dont hav a side on this because its been done and yet it shouldnt be done.

Remember the heros
Remember the lives
Remember the day
God bless

Posted by PsychoSnowman on 03-09-2003 10:23 PM:

quote:
dude go read the actually statement for right 2 bear arms. it says in words "state militia" never said public. i dont hav a side on this because its been done and yet it shouldnt be done.

god, what are you refuting now? I agreed with that.... , go and read the post will you.

-Cromwell

Posted by aznkid1008 on 03-09-2003 11:11 PM:

quote:
god, what are you refuting now? I agreed with that.... , go and read the post will you.

...nvm im confused again

Remember the heros
Remember the lives
Remember the day
God bless