Jusunlee.com Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 33 posts from this thread on one page

Jusunlee.com Forums (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/index.php)
- Enlightenment (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=17)
-- human instinct (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=13913)

Posted by PsychoSnowman on 09-18-2003 08:52 PM:

human instinct

humans have no instincts, they have thoughts that they confuse as instincts.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Posted by kryogenix on 09-18-2003 09:44 PM:

really?

Posted by PsychoSnowman on 09-18-2003 10:40 PM:

you tell me.

-Cromwell

Posted by merdawg on 09-18-2003 11:32 PM:

i think we do have instincts. like wen someone throws a punch at you, you automatically try to dodge out of the way. i dont think there is enough time to process the thought, "wait, should i stay or should i duck".

"Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable. " - Bruce Lee

Posted by tm11 on 09-19-2003 01:16 AM:

in a discussion about home births with my sister, my sister was telling me that after a child exits the womb, when the mother holds it right afterwards it will reach to nurse right after birth, as she put it, instinctively. In hospital births the baby is taken away after birth and the mother only gets to see it after a period of time

Posted by kryogenix on 09-19-2003 02:00 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by merdawg
i think we do have instincts. like wen someone throws a punch at you, you automatically try to dodge out of the way. i dont think there is enough time to process the thought, "wait, should i stay or should i duck".

yes. did you know you react faster if you are being attacked from the side than if you were being attacked from the front because you instictively turn to face your attacker and prepare to dodge the hit, whereas if you are being attacked from the front, your instincts don't come into play because you are thinking either "i gotta move" or "this is gonna hurt"

also, say there was netting seperating you and another person. if the person threw a ball or something at the you, you'd try to dodge it rather than think, "oh the netting will save me"

Posted by StardustWolfCry on 09-20-2003 09:50 PM:

Instincts include impulses. There ARE human instincts, like to live. Personally, I find no real reason to live (I've posted why) and death would be the answer, but it's my instinct to live. Thoughts are what we think and learn. Instinct is what we already have.

Ironically, we live to die... life is inevitable, so we are either living, or we are dead, but where are we when we are dead? Maybe we aren't ever "dead".Life is a memory. Time is always moving, so there is no now, thus all life is, is just a memory.

By.....me...Although I'm sure some one thought of that before me...

Posted by PsychoSnowman on 09-20-2003 10:07 PM:

can thoughts supersede intincts and thereby nullify them? You can train yourself never to react to being attacked if you try hard enough. I am sure you can. Even if you do not believe it is possible, if that was possible would thoughts then usurp instincts?

-Cromwell

Posted by kryogenix on 09-21-2003 02:29 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman
can thoughts supersede intincts and thereby nullify them? You can train yourself never to react to being attacked if you try hard enough. I am sure you can. Even if you do not believe it is possible, if that was possible would thoughts then usurp instincts?

then wouldn't that be replacing one instinct with another instinct?

Posted by StardustWolfCry on 09-21-2003 02:22 PM:

It depends on how strong the instinct is, but it's true fact can effect instinct...Rarely will fact totally nullify instinct.

Ironically, we live to die... life is inevitable, so we are either living, or we are dead, but where are we when we are dead? Maybe we aren't ever "dead".Life is a memory. Time is always moving, so there is no now, thus all life is, is just a memory.

By.....me...Although I'm sure some one thought of that before me...

Posted by PsychoSnowman on 09-21-2003 03:57 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by kryogenix
then wouldn't that be replacing one instinct with another instinct?

are thoughts instincts? when einstein postulated relativity, that was instinct? there was certainly no impulse that made him definitively want to discover this. It was a desire. or is desire an instinct?

-Cromwell

Posted by Alchemist on 09-26-2003 09:05 PM:

A baby is placed on a piece of glass that is over a picture that on one half has a checker design that gives a level effect and on the other half has a checker design which looks like a drop to a checker design floor. The baby's mother calls to it to come to her from across the side of the cliff design, the baby doesn't go though.

This fear of heights may be instinct or an innate thought or something else.

Posted by kryogenix on 10-06-2003 06:02 PM:

are reflexes instincts?

Posted by dj EndEver on 10-20-2003 10:56 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by kryogenix
are reflexes instincts?

i was juss bout to say that. reflexes are different from instincts. there was an argument in my philosophy class bout the difference between the two. of course, being the first class of the day, i slept...

Posted by PsychoSnowman on 10-20-2003 11:07 PM:

that argument does not make me think otherwise nonetheless.

-Cromwell

Posted by TyGer STyLe on 10-22-2003 08:40 AM:

quote:
humans have no instincts, they have thoughts that they confuse as instincts.

why does it matter?

Posted by Theory on 10-23-2003 02:03 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by TyGer STyLe
why does it matter?

The real question here is, why doesn't it matter. It does matter because new wave hippies are taking over with idealist views claiming that everyone is born with a certain instinct, or many instincts, which is not true at all. There is no such thing as a 'basic human instinct'.

Posted by TyGer STyLe on 10-23-2003 05:07 AM:

quote:
There is no such thing as a 'basic human instinct'

what makes you say that?

and... i still don't see why it matters...

Posted by PsychoSnowman on 10-23-2003 07:10 AM:

this is not a good point to bring up in a thread designed for debating whether or not it exists or not. Given the thread material, we are trying to figure out. Whether it matters or not is irrelevent. Nothing matters, you do not, and i do not, and neither does this. Who cares? Whether or not it matters is not going to add anything to this thread.

-Cromwell

Posted by TyGer STyLe on 11-07-2003 06:51 AM:

but whats the point in debating.... if it bears no relevance at all? doesn't debating lose its meaning then?

what is the point of debating... for the sole purpose of debating... seems kinda empty doesn't it?