Jusunlee.com Forums
Show all 15 posts from this thread on one page

Jusunlee.com Forums (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/index.php)
- Enlightenment (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=17)
-- real world (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=12245)

Posted by HoSuk1004 on 05-17-2003 04:32 PM:

real world

Hi people...You might think this is a stupid question but what if the world we see isnt real? what if all this is a dream? what if its just all we want to see? how do we know all this is real? Didn't Plato say something like all the things we see isnt real or like its just what we want to see or something along those lines.

Posted by Crazydeb8ter on 05-17-2003 06:13 PM:

Plato was all about seeking the enlightened truth through intellectual pursuit. (The Parable of the Cave)

Been seeing the matrix eh?

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Posted by HoSuk1004 on 05-17-2003 06:33 PM:

yeah i have lol but it made me think what if it is true

Posted by PsychoSnowman on 05-17-2003 08:57 PM:

-edit-

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Posted by rawr itz errinn on 05-19-2003 02:28 PM:

hahaha... maybe it's true... maybe we're all inside the matrix... muhahaha

anyhow, if that were true... well, i probably wouldn't live life any different. yea, sure there will be people that will try to seek out the truth and whatnot... it just won't be me. i think i may be more of the passive types that care but dont care enough to do something about it. if what we see isn't real and the world can be whatever we make it out to be... i'd fly. hell yea. i wanna fly like superman/neo....

Posted by princesszinza on 05-19-2003 05:48 PM:

when i was 5 years old I had a really bad infection and was in the hospital, almost died, the whole bit. Right after this, we moved to a new town. I had lost a lot of the hair on my head and all the kids at my new school made fun of me and beat me up after school. With my little kid mind I convinced myself that my new life in my new town was just a dream and I was really still in the hospital and I would wake up and everything would be llike it used to be. This gave me comfort but after about 3 weeks I realized, hey I guess I'm not waking up.........

Posted by Street RSX on 05-20-2003 12:12 AM:

but theres also some of us that are realli into religionn. me. to me i wont even think about things like that. i did a paper on religion and evolution. so religion vs. science. creationism is all that i would believe. God's the one there for us, controling the world and the way we live it. everyone has their own philosophy on life. theres people that studies to find out what's the truth about why we exist. For me its God. he gave us this gift of life. for others, they just go with it, they just believe they were born and just live it. Matrix.. it gets complicated because they say everyone has their own purpose in life, that i could actualli believe. some people become someone and others dont. they all have their own way of life. they become someone because maybe they were meant to be. but then again, theres those that believe in whatever you try, put everything into it and you will succeed. And that's where my man Nas comes in - "Alot of times it seem like you aint going to make it in where you want to be in life, but yo, if you got a plan, you gon get there, you gon get everything you ever wanted baby, thats my word." - Nothing Lasts Forever.

Posted by huby40 on 05-20-2003 01:05 AM:

if this world is just a dream, then somebody has a sick, piss poor imagniation

Posted by rofflexg on 05-21-2003 10:25 PM:

today in social studies, we were talking about Latin phrases and we came up with this question [what a coincidence]. anyways, we came up with this Latin phrase:
"Cogito ergo sum" [english translation: I think, therefore I exist.]
i forget which philosopher it was, but he said this as the answer to the question, "How do we know that this life is real and isn't a dream."

Posted by PsychoSnowman on 05-21-2003 10:49 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by rofflexg
today in social studies, we were talking about Latin phrases and we came up with this question [what a coincidence]. anyways, we came up with this Latin phrase:
i forget which philosopher it was, but he said this as the answer to the question, "How do we know that this life is real and isn't a dream."

Descartes

Anyway, existence precedes essence in my mind anyway. That's why i don't like that phrase.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Posted by Crazydeb8ter on 05-22-2003 12:55 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by rofflexg

or more accurately, "i know therefore i am"

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman
Descartes

descartes was one of those crazy ones...damn enlightement authors

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Posted by .aS.|5p!7f!|23 on 05-22-2003 02:08 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter

no actually she hasnt. she came up with the idea all on her own. why would you discredit her?

Posted by Crazydeb8ter on 05-22-2003 02:13 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by .aS.|5p!7f!|23
no actually she hasnt. she came up with the idea all on her own. why would you discredit her?

read her reply

King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Posted by Jj2 on 05-22-2003 05:39 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter

was just gonna say that myself

Posted by OneWeCallOMEGA on 06-14-2003 01:57 AM:

Being "someone" "important" by working hard for it, is only being someone that others see as important. What if there were no others? What would that person's importance be then? Where did that person's hard work go for? Our world wouldn't survive without the little people and the big people. There is no god-given role in life and a plan for everyone, people live their lives based on the events they experience and how it shapes their future. The thoughts of thinking there is this "role" for everyone is only used to comfort your doubt of your very own existense, why you exist and what is going to happen to you in the future. Can you really believe that there is an eternal heaven/hell/afterlife that never dies out and never fills up with too many "souls" or "spirits" or whatever? If it's anything that science has taught us, it's that what once lives will eventually die. And the law of conservation of matter states that matter can not be lost or gained in any reaction, maening that the same amount of matters exists today as it did whenever time began (if it began) therefore no magic soul or anything could just dissapear from our universe somehwere else. That is, if you think that spirits are made of matter... Maybe they are made of light? Or maybe someone's spirit is just what they are defined emotionaly by... But emotion part of the brain dies when the body dies.... Such a touchy subject...