Jusunlee.com Forums
Show all 9 posts from this thread on one page

Jusunlee.com Forums (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/index.php)
- Literature (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=35)
-- Memoirs of a Geisha (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2275)

Posted by lovedontloveme on 06-01-2002 06:28 AM:

Memoirs of a Geisha

Have you read that book? I HAVE! I've read and re-read it so many times that I've lost count q: I love it! What do you guys think about it?
For those who haven't read it, it's written by Arthur Golden.

Posted by GinaDaQueen on 06-02-2002 04:40 AM:

i heard so many people say its such a good book.....i hafta check it out for myself

Posted by PsychoSnowman on 06-02-2002 04:42 AM:

whats the book about?

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Posted by tm11 on 06-02-2002 04:52 AM:

i read that book last year. It was pretty good. It's about the life of a young girl born in a fishing village and eventually has to go to gion and become a geisha. It was a good read, and it chronicled her experiences and the lifestyle of a geisha accurately. Not necessarily my taste in literature, but i read it for school, yet, I still would recommend it.

Last i heard, steven spielberg was trying to get the rights to make this movie, he might already have them... i know people want to make it into a movie

Posted by annabanana on 06-05-2002 04:48 AM:

I've heard of that book but i dunno what it's about. what did you like about it?

Posted by MellowYellow on 06-20-2002 08:14 AM:

i haven't read it but i know that geisha is a high class japanese prostitute... they don't sleep with anyone...hence they are HIGH CLASS.... so it's nothing DIRTY... haha... popular geisha's can make a lot of money... but once they lose their virginity it's all over.... but unless that doesn't happen i think they're sold to the highest bidder or stays with their house?

but yea i've heard a lot about this book ... maybe i'll read it this summer

Posted by tea on 07-02-2002 06:27 AM:

ive read that some of the things..actually a lot of the things arent true...because of some of the false statements written in the book, a real geisha was going to write a book called: the real memoirs of a geisha. i dont know if she wrote the book or not though.

Posted by GinaDaQueen on 07-09-2002 10:53 PM:

hmm i've read it now....and i don't see anything all that special about the book......it was interesting, but i've read better books before....... maybe it's a little too "young" for me...... the vocabulary was too easy

Posted by Amanda on 07-14-2002 04:50 AM:

I read the book last year in about a week during the school year. I really liked it! My teacher was the one who turned me on to it. I liked the way the book offered an insight, whether it was small or not, into the life of a geisha and corrected the American cliché of a geisha being a prostitute. If there were parts that were false, hell, I wouldn't know...I'm not a geisha. It was a quick, entertaining read for me, though.