Jusunlee.com Forums
Show all 7 posts from this thread on one page

Jusunlee.com Forums (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/index.php)
- Enlightenment (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=17)
-- Illegal Immigrant employment (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=15048)

Posted by Alchemist on 01-08-2004 03:32 AM:

Illegal Immigrant employment

I just saw President Bush on the news proposing a plan to allow employment of illegal immigrant employment. Some of the news people talked about how illegal immigrants will take jobs from Americans.

So I've heard that Bush proposed Trickle-down economics which some people say will "create jobs", now he proposes this which some people claim will "take jobs" so what do you people think about this?

Posted by eddiee on 01-08-2004 12:20 PM:

whats next...

illegal immigrants can vote?

Posted by kryogenix on 01-08-2004 09:33 PM:

nice one maddox!!!

i don't get how people say immigrants take jobs of americans either. isn't that what capitalism is? working is selling a service. here's an analogy:

there's a company that's been around for a century selling pianos. then this new company comes up and sells the same quality pianos for a price that's lower. the old company's sales drop. does that mean they can say "that new company is taking my business!!" no. it's competition. either you cut your prices or make a better product.

so, in real life you either work for less money or do a better job. don't blame the immigrants. blame your notion that you're better because you're not an immigrant.

i hope that makes sense.

Posted by aaqthree on 01-08-2004 10:32 PM:

I haven't heard about this yet. But are they making it so that illegal immigrants have to have the same minimum wage as the rest of us?

That would solve the "THOSE IMMIGRANTS ARE STEALING MY JOBS!" claims.

I am now off to hide in a parking lot somewhere. Maybe I'll see an illegal immigrant, ambush him, and take his job. Anyone wanna help?

Posted by PsychoSnowman on 01-09-2004 02:55 AM:

when we have a country with many unemployed people like we do, when we give those jobs to other seekers from other countries, it can easily be seen as taking jobs from americans. Suddenly, an entire new sect of people has come into the competitive economic world of america. It can be seen as tending to other's issues rather than our own, the same way going off to war in iraq is perceived as worrying about other countries' problems rather than solving our own problems.

i can see why people would say immigrants are stealing jobs from them. Even if they should all be better workers, etc. in order to get those jobs i think it is hard to avoid that claim because they are not part of the country, and then we run into the same problem about how we are helping others before ourselves, or just helping others in general instead of focusing on ourselves. A lot of people have a problem with it.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Posted by aaqthree on 01-09-2004 04:09 AM:

I understand saying that illegal immigrants should not be in America in the first place to compete for jobs.

But to say they take American jobs is just stupid. They are hired. No one forces companies to hire illegal immigrants. But yeah, of course they're going to hire illegal immigrants if they're going to work for less money. The way to fix that is to make sure that even the illegal immigrants should be paid the same wages. There's really little reason for the Wal-marts to hire illegal immigrants instead of citizens unless they actually do the jobs better. In which case they should hire those workers, since the jobs would get done more efficiently.

Posted by kryogenix on 01-12-2004 10:17 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman
when we have a country with many unemployed people like we do, when we give those jobs to other seekers from other countries, it can easily be seen as taking jobs from americans. Suddenly, an entire new sect of people has come into the competitive economic world of america. It can be seen as tending to other's issues rather than our own, the same way going off to war in iraq is perceived as worrying about other countries' problems rather than solving our own problems.

i can see why people would say immigrants are stealing jobs from them. Even if they should all be better workers, etc. in order to get those jobs i think it is hard to avoid that claim because they are not part of the country, and then we run into the same problem about how we are helping others before ourselves, or just helping others in general instead of focusing on ourselves. A lot of people have a problem with it.

i'm sure many americans would love to work in the middle of a field on a hot day for 14 hours when being paid very little. i think most unemployed americans are going for more conventional jobs and they can't get them so they take it out on the illegal immigrants.