Jusunlee.com Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 23 posts from this thread on one page

Jusunlee.com Forums (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/index.php)
- Debate (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=19)
-- Russians and Indians???? (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=7311)

Posted by AzNmAgE on 10-30-2002 01:40 AM:

Russians and Indians????

ok...i have asked alot of my friends this question and i have gotten lost of interesting responses haha, neways the question is....

Do you consider Indians and Russians asian becuase technically their countries are on the asian continent....so how bout it, are they asian???

Posted by Crazydeb8ter on 10-30-2002 02:02 AM:

Indians yes.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Posted by PsychoSnowman on 10-30-2002 02:10 AM:

this is an easy question to answer.

Russia is divided so part of it is in asia, but it's generally considered a european country, hence i say euro. It's culture and such is so western i don't think it's part of asia in that aspect, but i'm just going with a general consenses since it really is in both.

But, India is definately in Asia. A better question would be: "why the hell not?" You're isolating it to be in no continent at all by saying it's not in asia. It's not african, it's not asian...well, what is it? the asnwer is simple, if you don't consider it asian there isn't anything left to consider it. India is part of asia. Yes, of course. My question to you is, if it's not, what continent is it part of? It being asian is the general consensus i believe and i find it insulting people actually think it isn't. Even on these forums, people are like "what? are you asian?" or act like "hahah, sorry, my bad all this time i thought you were asian" in response to an indian person(sorrry that really just bothered me a lot). When in fact an indian person is asian...it's as if people begin to essentialize all of asia into east asia. When did this blasphemy start? It's all too logical to realize that it is in asia in my opinion. That's why it's called a South Asian country. It's not in europe or africa, that's for sure.

-edit- even on applications when you choose ethnicity, there's a slot for asian/pacific islander or whatever, some of them include regions, including the indian subcontinent.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Posted by TyGer STyLe on 10-30-2002 03:01 AM:

i believe indians are asians... but when most people think asian they think east asian with small eyes black hair and short... so its not a surprise that there are alot of different answers... as for

Russians, they're more european... there are technically 5 races i believe that are each seperated by physical differences, theres the whites, blacks, asians, native american, and pacific islanders (im sorry, but i fergot the "politically correct" terms for each race... asians i know are traditionally called mongolian, but i just used asian...) if you judge the physical differences you'll find that Russians belong in the "white" group... i ferget the specifics behind the physical differences, but i still remember a few, ask me to specify if you really need to know... hence thats y i believe Russians belong more in the "white" catagory...

Posted by |vaSh| on 10-30-2002 03:18 AM:

Russia all depends. If ur left of the mountain ur russian. If ur right ur assian. Thats how they consider it in Russia. I know because i lived 10 years in russia (which is like 2/3 of my life)

Posted by Alchemist on 10-30-2002 03:58 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by TyGer STyLe
... there are technically 5 races i believe that are each seperated by physical differences, theres the whites, blacks, asians, native american, and pacific islanders

I have a question, What makes asians and pacific islanders different?

Also does Latino or Hispanic fit in anywhere here?

Posted by TyGer STyLe on 10-30-2002 04:15 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist

I have a question, What makes asians and pacific islanders different?

Also does Latino or Hispanic fit in anywhere here?

there are specific differences in physical traits between asians and pacific islanders... i used to have a paper where it lists all the differences but i can't seem to find it... and i don't remember what trait sets pacific islanders apart... if i remember correctly what sets asians apart physically is the eyes, from what i was taught in my classes, asians have an extra fold of skin in their eyes, making our eyes look smaller, and yes... giving the appearence that our eyes are slanted...

latinos and hispanics are considered white, because of their spanish heritage... despite being a mix of white and native american, i believe there is a general concensus that latinos and hispanics are under the catagory "white." just because your a mix of two races doesn't make you a whole new race you know???

Posted by heyitsdean on 11-01-2002 12:24 AM:

Sorry for the ignorance, it was not me

Posted by Jj2 on 11-01-2002 12:29 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by heyitsdean
they are not in asia. If you don't have slanted eyes, your not in asia. My rule.

u dont have to have slanted eyes to be considered asian. that's just dumb (no offense) ok...what about phillipines? and indonesians? u wouldnt call them asians? so what would u categorise them as?

Posted by TyGer STyLe on 11-01-2002 01:07 AM:

quote:
they are not in asia. If you don't have slanted eyes, your not in asia. My rule.
well... you can't say asians have slanted eyes... i jus said they just have an extra fold of skin in their eyes... doesn't make everyone look like they have slanted eyes but there are those that it is more apparent... your eyes aren't slanted, but you still have the extra fold, that is if your asian... indonesians and phillipinos are considered pacific islander i believe, plus most phillipinos out there that i know of are a mix of spanish and true pacific islander...

Posted by Alchemist on 11-01-2002 02:38 AM:

quote:

The last map I saw had "non-asian countries" classified under 'Asia' (And I'm not talking about Russia)

Also if a non asian person goes to asia that person would be "in asia"

What about the fact that several "non-asian countries" are part of the ASEAN Regional Forum in the UN?

Posted by Jj2 on 11-01-2002 03:58 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by TyGer STyLe
...indonesians and phillipinos are considered pacific islander i believe, plus most phillipinos out there that i know of are a mix of spanish and true pacific islander...

really? oh ok...i understand...didnt know that -_-;; i always classified them as 'asians' cause they're within the 'asian region'

Posted by tm11 on 11-01-2002 04:07 AM:

quote:

trust me when i say this folks.... he was NOT himself when he typed this... please just ignore it and carry on.

Posted by Spuzzter on 11-01-2002 06:19 AM:

True, but I doubt he would have said anything different. These are dean's words.

Posted by rhymester* on 11-01-2002 06:46 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist

The last map I saw had "non-asian countries" classified under 'Asia' (And I'm not talking about Russia)

Also if a non asian person goes to asia that person would be "in asia"

What about the fact that several "non-asian countries" are part of the ASEAN Regional Forum in the UN?

what do you mean non asian countries classified under asia? if its part of this continent asia, then the ppl are asian, as easy as that. realize that not only ppl looking like chinese are asian. its a big continent. there are different looking faces. asia does not only consist of china, japan and korea.

i know in USA ppl call chinese/japanese/korean looking ppl asian. but actually anyone from any diff part of asia is asian. im indian but im an asian. i dont like to be called otherwise. ppl are always saying, oh i thought you were asian. wat makes you think i'm not? sorry im getting a bit mad..haha need to go cool off.

Posted by JeNyA on 11-01-2002 10:17 AM:

hehe thats an interesting qurstion.........

Well, I live in Russia. But actually i am korean and that means that i`m asian hehe a half. I think Russia is very interenational country becuz here are not only russians here`r a lot others nations but anyway they r russian in passport. I live in the east of the coutry and here r a lot of asians. hehe buryatian, hakasian,tuvinzi a many others!!!!!! hehe and yes i think that we can imagine that Russia consist of 2 parts asian and euro. yep!!!!!!!

Posted by JeNyA on 11-01-2002 10:19 AM:

hehe

quote:
Originally posted by |vaSh|
Russia all depends. If ur left of the mountain ur russian. If ur right ur assian. Thats how they consider it in Russia. I know because i lived 10 years in russia (which is like 2/3 of my life)

oops hehe thats great u lived in Russia that means heheheu tak eto znachit chto ti govorish na russkom hehe ofcourse if it`s true!!!!!!

Posted by Ladi Jay on 11-01-2002 07:54 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Crazydeb8ter
Indians yes.

for once, I agree

Posted by Crazydeb8ter on 11-02-2002 03:57 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Ladi Jay

for once, I agree

uhh...great

:thumbup:

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Posted by Alchemist on 11-08-2002 04:22 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by rhymester*

what do you mean non asian countries classified under asia? if its part of this continent asia, then the ppl are asian, as easy as that. realize that not only ppl looking like chinese are asian. its a big continent. there are different looking faces. asia does not only consist of china, japan and korea.

i know in USA ppl call chinese/japanese/korean looking ppl asian. but actually anyone from any diff part of asia is asian. im indian but im an asian. i dont like to be called otherwise. ppl are always saying, oh i thought you were asian. wat makes you think i'm not? sorry im getting a bit mad..haha need to go cool off.

Dude, this is what I was pointing out. I think you misinterpreted me, sorry. (We're on the same side on this issue)

I was stating, that these countries that some people do not consider as asians are classified under Asia, which would mean they are asian.
Also ASEAN stands for Assoc. of South East Asian nations.
If the Philippines is not an asian country, why is it that when I go on the site it's listed as a memeber? Maybe because it is.
(The US is a part of everything, the US is a world power, so don't give any crap about the US being part of ARF justifies asian countries as not being asian.)

Also, as Indians consider themselves asian, "pacific islanders" consider themselves as asian too. Because they are.